Parent reviews for America's Next Top Model

A guilty pleasure in model form -- OK for teens.

Adult Written byclarence August 4, 2015

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

teaches wrong values

it's a cut throat industry an doesn't teach/show good morals/values.
Parent Written byCanadian Parent September 7, 2012

Not for Children

This show is a guilty pleasure. But it is ultimately a lie - the modelling world is very tough and chews up aspiring models like soft candy. That reality is given short shrift and instead a lot of coverage is given to exotic locations, etc., perpetuating the 'glamor' reputation that modelling does not deserve. This show DOES NOT give a realistic portrayal of what awaits anyone entering the modelling field and could set them up for disaster. This show should not be recommended for children. Period.
Adult Written byMcKathlin August 31, 2012

It takes work as well as looks

This show has a measure of the drama and cutthroat competition that affects most reality shows in which contestants are eliminated one by one. Aside from this and the association of high fashion with revealing clothing, what bothers me most is the ridicule aimed at any model who carries a few pounds more than the skeletal ideal. I'm hoping that viewers see this standard as part of what's wrong with the modeling industry, rather than applying it to themselves. That said, I think the show promotes hard work better than CSM's official review gives it credit for. Professionalism is emphasized: models learn skills to help them pose for photographs, and they need to set aside any bad moods and focus on doing their job well, or they won't have many good photos to show at the review. Models who look pretty but aren't fully invested are typically the first ones cut from the show.

Adult Written byGypsyAD August 14, 2011

America's Next Anorexic Drug Addicted Chain Smoking Little GIRL!

I modeled professionally years ago in my teens & early 20's. I'm 40 now & feel disgusted that I ever wanted to be a "supermodel." Then again, I was a typical teenager! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, ENERGY, & INTELLIGENCE ON THIS SHOW. IT'S GARBAGE. Tyra Banks is NOT who she says she is. She's phony balogna. Steer clear of the modeling industry (billion-dollar a year BUSINESS) period. It's a SICK & TWISTED world/lifestyle. UNLESS your daughter (or son) has their head on reeeally straight & isn't one bit naive (I don't know many teens who do/are), keep them away from watching this disgusting SCRIPTED t.v. show.
Parent Written byCooldee July 12, 2011

America's Next Top Model is a fake beauty pageant gone bad!

The host of this Show, Tyra Banks, thinks that her show teaches young women about beauty. Well, she is wrong! America's Next Top Model is full of fakeness, backstabbing, gossipers, and photo shots. Tyra Banks and her show are bad role models. Please blaock your children from ever watching this show!

Adult Written byCommonSense Hater August 3, 2010

This Show is Meant(ly) for girls.

ssssssoooo csm did a greajob rating on this but NEVER IFFY FOR 14. OFF for ages 12 and under IFFY for age 13 and ON for ages 14 and up Why is the reason it's iffy for 13 year olds because i would recommend this for 13 plus. WARNING: It has no violence(but the sometimes negative role models will be a little bit violent, ok?), there is messages (that are negative) and role models (both negative), S**ual and Nuddy Shots, There are no bad words in the N*ked Shoots Version, Lots of consumers and drugs. I think this scene is questionable, i rate this scene a 0-2 and sometimes 3 stars. The only highlight is the Sometimes Positive Role Model(s). This Scene i rate this is a 3 star mostly 4-5 stars. in my suggestion, don't say 13-14.

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byLindzzz April 18, 2010

Kaylee does not watch it

But as 2-young 10 will handle bad words such as "g--" and mature 10-25 it's fun to watch Americas! And 26 and up may find g--ness

Parent Written bysamtw1024 October 24, 2009

Parent presence is adviced for young teens

It's true what the reviewers are saying, the show can be really good for a teenager's self-esteem but I recommend that is watched, if possible, with a parent. There is an episode that I watched were contestant cheats on her boyfriend after she gets really drunk. They all get in a hot tub with a guy each and... well, she does it. But later on she suffers, showing that actions like the one she did have consecuences. The kisses that are shown are intense and... well, although the couples don't go too far, It's better for you to be there. About Tyra Banks, she is a good role model. She talks to each girl individually when they are feeling down and cheers them up. My does seem to give really good advices to the contestants. I watched the first season with my brother and my little sister, she's 13 now. We stopped except her because she was and still is interesed in the fashion world. Sadly, Internet made her wish come true and kept on watching the show on her own. I found out too late what kind of show she was watching alone. My advice is to encourage your kids to watch it with you so that they don't feel the need to watch it by themselves, specially when they are younger than 14 and they are interested in being fashion designers or models (they will find a way to be informed)

Positive messages
Parent of a 4, 9, and 12 year old Written bydbw October 11, 2009
I do not like this show at all. The contestants often come from circumstances so difficult that this show is a huge gamble for them, an all or nothing attempt to make it big on nothing more than their currently fashionable looks and photographability, and when only one woman wins and the rest go back to what they came from it must be devastating for them. In addition,the message is that a worthy model will do anything asked of them, including giving their all when seriously ill, or undergoing painful beauty treatments, or posing nude and/or kissing someone (often not well-known to them) just for the sake of a photo. These are not the values I want my three girls to embrace. Though the show claims to promote healthy values for girls, such as an episode that discouraged eating disorders, a perfectly beautiful and healthy-looking contestant was eliminated for being a few pounds overweight. (She looked just right, so she must have even been a bit on the too skinny side if t.v. adds wight to people's appearances.) Several of these down-and-out contestants are mothers who have left their babies for a long time to be on this show. I don't know why people want to watch often desperately unfortunate women gambling and putting everything on the line for a chance at stardom instead of encouraging them to work equally hard at furthering their educations and get work that would give them and their families security and stability. I hate how the contestants grovel at the feet of Tyra Banks who acts like an omnipotent Goddess who holds their entire futures in the palms of her hands. She and the other judges are often so cruel in their discourse on the worthiness of the contestants based solely on their appearances. Though there may be profanity, I am much less offended by that than the messages insidiously delivered to us on a silver platter. The whole show makes me really sad for the state of our values.

Educator Written bytm124 September 28, 2009
Women argue, including Bre pouring Nicole's Red Bull in the sink in cycle 5. Fatima uses F*ck in cycle 10. Anchal in cycle 7, uses the same word, but several times. Monique uses it too. Some words like Hate are used. Unbleeped words include H*ll, D*mn, A*s, and B*tch.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byJulie P November 13, 2008

It's Tyra Mail!

Great show and getting greater. Watch it with your kids and it can help with body image and self esteem--to help them to not think this is the ideal. Some of it is way too over the top and catty. Could be a great educational tool. Tyra seems to be trying to show that a woman can be gorgeous no matter her size.
Adult Written byAlis20 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byMommieMolly April 9, 2008

People lighten up!

I am a very proud mother of three. My daughers (just turned 11) both love this show. OF COURSE the girls are judged on how well they can take a picture. That's what models DO. This is a very good show for girls, especially tweens aspiring to be models. It shows the entire picture- yes, it's glamorous, but it's also alot of work. Tyra is a very good role model, and it's always fun to see who gets eliminated. Trust me, your girls won't become anorexic from this show. (Plus- size models have been in several seasons and made it quite far, and really were judged just like everyone else.)
Adult Written bybeanieh April 9, 2008

Great to watch with tweens/teens

When I was growing up, I always thought the life of a supermodel was non-stop glamor. This show provides a realistic look at what it takes to be a model. Yes, the girls are judged on their looks and photos. Hello! That's what the JOB of a model is! You are selling a product, whether it's clothing, makeup, or radial tires you need to be able to make it look like the most desirable item in the world. My girls and I watch it together, and they see how much hard work goes into modeling. The contestants have to deal with criticism from the judges and clients, as well as conflicts among themselves. I feel like watching this show is a guilty pleasure, but also an eye-opening one.
Adult Written by[email protected] April 9, 2008
Adult Written byE-Rod April 9, 2008
Adult Written byserenaswift April 9, 2008

its awesome

i love to wacth this and i bet you will to