Parent reviews for Arcane

Arcane Poster Image

Arcane is a masterpiece

Arcane is my favorite new show. Maybe my favorite piece of media ever. It is truly a unique and masterful cinematic experience. Fully realized and bristling with details. Arcane is the prequel story to a video game franchise. But I never played the games or knew anything about them before watching Arcane. The show's creators made sure that prior knowledge was not a prerequisite. And I think I enjoyed Arcane more because I did not know anything about it. If you are a fan of animation, sci-fi, fantasy, or great storytelling, I highly recommend you watch Arcane. Arcane is mature. It deals with love, death, mental illness, violence, and substance abuse. Even though it is animated, it handles these issues in a very grounded and realistic fashion. While the action can be brutal it never gets gratuitous or gory. There is one sex scene but no nudity and is actually very artful. There is some language and a few f-bombs, but unlike other shows/movies, the salty language is very appropriate for the scene and characters. If your family is mature enough to handle the content, Arcane is truly great.

4 people found this helpful.

Official review is very innacurate.

I struggle to believe whoever wrote the official Common Sense Media review watched more than the first few episodes, as it leaves out major instances of adult content. Violence: Blood is used Sparingly but always to intense effect. While most on screen violence is just fist fights, there are also stabbings, gunfights, and other more brutal instances of harm; one scene even highlights bones being broken inside of combatants with an X-ray effect. The most disturbing depictions of violence come from the deaths of teenagers and even children on two occasions. One is bloodless yet shocking, the other is a young royal being executed, and the blade striking them is shown, with the camera sliding away just in time to avoid the head falling off. Language: "F**k" and "S**t" are both used on occasion, although the latter much more often than the former. Sex: Jinx wears a fairly revealing outfit, showing off the side of her chest. There are several scenes where sex workers and escorts are shown looking for work, although usually played for laughs. There is also a sex scene where no graphic nudity is depicted, but the movements of the characters themselves are pretty explicit. Another scene shows a woman bathing, and large portions of her body are visible. Drinking/drugs/smoking: Characters drink alcohol at bars, a main character is frequently seen smoking a pipe; and there is an important subplot revolving around a fictional drug, complete with addicts. The story and direction of the series is very well done; but the content is far more adult than the official review claims.

2 people found this helpful.

amazing show, not for young kids

Who can watch this really depends on maturity level, but I think 13-14 is a safe age cutoff. However, do NOT make your decision based only on the expert review. That review sounds like it was only for the first episode, it gets quite dark after that. A prominent character has extreme mental illness and psychotic episodes due to some of the trauma she had to endure (and we got to watch). There is also a lot of blood in this show. There is a sudden spray of blood on a window and it cuts to a dead body in one scene. There is a scene where a young woman is beheaded but it cuts away. There is also a child death, these are the most notable examples of violence I can think of but there are a lot of slow motion punches as well that may be uncomfortable for some. There are lots of smoking, drugs and alcohol. There is some nudity but no parts are shown, a scene in a brothel and one sex scene but nothing is revealed. The swearing isn't too bad, F-bomb is used twice.

I liked it, but your description is way off

As others have said, the headline/description on here paints it out to be far less mature than it is Its animated, but its definitely not for kids I've never watched an anime or mature content animated film/series; but I liked it

Probably my favorite show.

Arcane is based on a video game that I don't really like, but if you've ever played league of legends, don't expect it to be anything like the game. It is so much better than you'd expect since it's based on a game, but it's probably going to be pretty heavy for lots of teens. Not too heavy though.

Incredible visually artistic blend of fantasy, steampunk, and magic

As an adult, this show blew me away. I've never played league of legends and knew nothing about the story going in, and was still hooked from the start. Every single frame of the show could be a piece of art, the music is great, the fight scenes are well done without being gruesome. There is some blood, cursing, and a couple of provocative scenes so probably not great for younger kids, but there's positive lessons and raw, real emotions in the show that are great topics of discussion for things like trauma, abandonment, and morality.

One of the best TV series ever made

A mix of 3D and 2D animation, stunning visuals and a powerful story make this an outstanding TV show. But it includes lots of severe violence, quite a bit of language including the F word, many uses of s***, hell, damn, etc...

Common Sense Media fail

Okay Common Sense Media, I have loved your site and rely on it a lot. But I started watching this series after reading your review above, and clearly the reviewer had only watched Episode 1. There is a lot of female nudity and a sex scene in Episode 5. In the future, PLEASE specify when you’re reviews are not comprehensive. I’m afraid you lost a lot of credibility with me on this one.