Parent reviews for Arthur

A thoughtful cartoon for kids to grow up on.

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Beware

I have not let my kids watch Arthur because I don't like the way that Arthur interacts with his siblings. It does not promote a positive attitude toward family members, but rather animosity and blaming. There are lots of other shows with a positive message and we choose to watch those (or nothing) instead!
Adult Written byfandlsmom April 9, 2008

Better for kids 5+

My older daughter (now 6) started watching Arthur when she was 3. I would have waited until she was 5 because the characters don't always treat each other respectfully. While kids 5 and up will likely grasp the lesson that this behavior is not ideal, younger kids might just observe the behavior and miss the message that it's not ideal.
Adult Written byRockybalboa211 February 24, 2012

Some of you are a little too strict...

Wow.. some of you parents have really horrible logic in analyzing cartoons. This show is a classic, and as someone who grew up with this show, it taught me many important life lessons, such as how to deal with bullies or how to understand different cultures or how to be understanding of others or how not to hit my younger sister when she accidentally broke your toy. Overall, you all should be more understanding, and not so critical. Many of you are too critical.

Adult Written bymarcee August 17, 2011

Countering the unwarranted "hate"

I grew up watching Arthur, and every now and then I still do. It's the longest running children's animated series in the United States for a reason. Yes, the children on Arthur are at times snooty, bossy and rude. The show touches on subjects like kissing and has made spin-the-bottle references, among other things, but certainly not enough to deem it as "inappropriate." The show does not condemn children for their behavior by portraying saintly characters in ideal worlds; instead, it allows its young audience to relate to their attitudes and flaws in many way while keeping a realistic perspective. I love how Arthur encourages good morals without becoming overly pedantic--Arthur and his friends are often learning the lesson through a series of realistic events independently. This allows the viewers to keep in tune and not roll their eyes in annoyance. The show also follows a storyline and focuses on character development, fulfilling its purpose as an actual television show and not just a generic educational program. Personally, I think the earliest seasons fit the criteria spoken about above the most and are the most entertaining. But the recent episodes are great for kids themselves and keep true to the main objectives of the series (even though the character development and storyline have gotten weaker, but as far as I'm concerned, I don't think the parents here have those aspects as their number one concern). Arthur is relatable, fun and entertaining for all ages. Parents, please don't dismiss this program for the trivial reasons people have listed. It offers a learning experience that stands out so much from other shows of its genre.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byjmpb August 22, 2010

Snotty talk, bullying takes up more time than positive take away message at end

Although this has been rated highly, I disagree due to the fact that most of the show models bullying and snotty talk. Only until the very end where the take away message is conveyed do kids get a positive message. However, for the rest of the show, they have been hearing ways to talk snotty and mean to each other - what do you think they are going to learn more - the part they heard for 3 minutes at the end or the rest of the time where everyone was badgering each other?
Parent of a 9, 13, and 17 year old Written byPie Mama July 31, 2010

It's not just for little kids!!!

I'm 32 and I still love it! My kids still love it, they all watched it when they were little, and we all still love this show! It's not just for younger kids, it's not like Barney or those types of shows.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byangelascats March 25, 2010

Awesome

This is probably one of the best kids' shows on TV now. I watched it a bit when I was younger (though I mostly read the books), but I still like it. I think it's good for kids and adults; it has little things that kids may not get and their parents will, but not so much that kids will get bored with it. (If that sentence made sense). Also, they have guest stars on a lot--my favorite was when Art Garfunkel was on and he sang through the whole episode. It deals a lot with stuff kids deal with--friendship, school, anxieties, peer pressure (not drugs or anything), etc. but it's not corny. I'm not sure how they pull it off. ;) Anyway, I love it, I think it's good for all ages and I'm glad that it's still going strong. I don't think I've ever met a person who didn't like this show.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bymarceladns March 4, 2011

Classic show kids can relate to

My 2 kids love Arthur, and I do too, it's very real and it teaches the kids how to deal with a variaty of issues, the relationship between Arthur and DW is not all sugarcoated and it show the real struggles brother and sister have. I like that represents real issues, fears and emotions my kids deal with at school, home and with friends. And I give it extra point for being on PBS which means we get hardly any commercials!

Adult Written bysss April 9, 2008

6&up

the characters use language such as stupid and dumb. it may be ok to watch this once in a while.
Parent of a 5 and 13 year old Written bystarshower February 18, 2013

Arthur

The show has very good role models .The show is about an 8 year old kid and his friends who work together to solve problems. The episodes are funny and well written. The characters are believable and likable.

Adult Written byoiv25409 March 16, 2011

This show is amazing! Perfect for all ages!

This show is perfect for kids to grow up with. There is absolutely no innapropriate content whatsoever. It is funny, educational, enjoyable, and very entertaining, even for teens and adults. I would highly recommend this show to anyone!

Parent of a 5 and 15 year old Written byonerowan February 10, 2013

Great show, even better theme song!

Arthur is near perfect television for children ages 5 to 8

Parent of a 6 year old Written byshixa July 10, 2010

We all love Arthur!

My son has learned about everything from cancer to head lice from watching Arthur and I even find myself watching it. There is absolutely nothing objectionable about this show and it always has a valuable lesson or moral without being preachy.

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byAmber D. March 4, 2017

Good

The show is great! Just some of it is be good. They will call someone "stupid" or "dumb" towards siblings or friends. No OK with me. And once there was an episode where one person was swearing and they had to blocked most of it out! IT WAS SO ANNOYING!!!!! Yes the lesson was not to swear the end but I mean still. Noone wants to hear beeping for the whole episode. And one last thing. The story line is usually the same. Like things are good in the beginning. Then goes crappy. They fix the problem. And then it's all good. But overall it's pretty good.

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

Memories!

This show is perfect for kids! Nice animation,really educational,positive messages,ect.ARTHUR ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byJEDI micah June 2, 2012

WHO DOESN'T LOVE ARTHUR?!

This is the best show for little kids, even way better than Dora the Explorer! I grew up watching this show before I had cable, and I loved it! I haven't seen it in a while, but maybe I'll catch it again when it comes on!

Adult Written byAdam H. August 30, 2017

Love this show!!!

Love it, but it was quite a bit of bulling by binky. Arthur also treats DW poorly.

Adult Written byAl Jackson April 20, 2012

I love this show!

This show is perfect or ALL ages! It is funny AND edecational.We need more kids shows like this! Kids shows have gotten REALLY screwed up since that horrible show Dora The Explorer hit the airwaves! So overall,I love and recommend Arthur.
Adult Written byEmma Ricciuto August 10, 2017

Arthur (Old Version)

My favorite show! It is great the acting is great and it is not stereotypical. I really do enjoy this show. It is original and will always have a place in my heart.

Adult Written bysuzyleadfoot August 4, 2011

A wonderful show for all kids!

Arthur is a wonderful kids show! I have 2, 3 and 10 year old children and it's a show they can all watch and enjoy. I don't understand where the concerns about violence and sexual situations come in to play, I am VERY strict about the shows my kids watch - trying to make sure my kids have positive influences from television and not watching a lot of these lame Disney shows that glamorize being an airhead and pushing adult behavior and emphasizing the need to be pretty, thin or dress in trendy clothing. Arthur is a good-natured, good-hearted character who faces many of the same problems our young kids do every day. I hope my kids continue to enjoy watching Arthur and I think it's one of the few truly "nice" shows on tv with good ideas for problem/conflict solving.