Kid reviews for Atypical

Laughs, heart, in excellent series about teen with autism.

Teen, 13 years old Written byaddisonm October 21, 2018

Hilarious and Meaningful.

This show is something I really enjoy watching, it focuses on family and the struggles of keeping balance, Sam’s Austism is shown respectfully and accurately. You will love this family (other than Elsa, you might hate her) but overall good show.

Teen, 13 years old Written byviolet345 February 11, 2018

One of the best shows on Netflix

I'm 13 years old and I just finished watching atypical. It's one of my new favorites! Atypical is a light hearted, funny and sweet tv show about a high school student on the autism spectrum. I loved it so much, I couldn't stop watching it! It's perfectly fine for anyone 12+. It's such a good TV show

Teen, 14 years old Written bysv21 August 14, 2017

A funny, binge-worthy show

Atypical is about a 18 year old boy named Sam Gardner who has autism. The show mainly focuses on him getting a girlfriend.

There is some swearing in the show, but nothing somebody 14+ couldn't handle.

In one scene, Sam's sister punches a girl for making fun of her weight. There is very little violence in the show.

Sam's friend, Zahid, frequently talks to him about sex and even gives him some tips. In episode 6, Sam buys condoms at the store. Zahid also takes him to a strip club, but nothing is shown inside. One of the workers is outside and shows Sam her breasts so 'he is ready when the time comes.' Later, he is shown drawing a picture of what he saw, and is shown to the camera. In the last episode, sex is implied between Sam and his girlfriend. In the next scene he says 'I just got a hand job in an igloo!'

Sam's mom has an affair with a bartender, and shows them having sex multiple times. Sam's sister and her boyfriend get into bed together, sex is implied, and shows them laying next to each other in the next scene.

There is a brief scene where two characters smoke pot together, and the next scene, one of the characters acts high. Sam's friend also is also shown smoking pot in the parking lot of his work place.

The show, however, has its funny and happy moments, as well as its sad moments. Some people with autism may not be able to fully connect to Sam as the show intends, but the it is definitely worth watching.

If you are looking for a funny, upbeat show, then this is for you! There is nothing someone 14+ couldn't handle, and maybe even some people 13+. Overall this is an amazing show!

Teen, 13 years old Written byCheryl_bombshell December 6, 2019

Outstanding!!!!!

I thought Atypical was great! Yes I’ll admit it did talk about sex occasionally,and it did curse a bit,it had some same sex kissing which personally doesn’t bother me but if it bothers you avoid season 3, but overall it was AMAZING and it teaches you about autism and some real world issues

Teen, 13 years old Written byGoldenKnight05 October 23, 2019

Heartwarming show!

I have been watching this show since it's original release in 2017, and from the first episode, I was hooked. It is a great story about a boy with autism and normal everyday life struggles for an autistic person. However, there isn't a huge amount of swearing or sex, so children 12 and up would be fine (depending on maturity) Mostly packed with great messages and role models :)

Teen, 14 years old Written byClexaftwayhaught January 4, 2019

Atypical is a great show!

The main character in this show is a teenage boy with autism named Sam who is trying to get laid. It might not be suitable for anyone under the age of 13, but the show features no nudity, violence, or drugs. In Season 2 you see Sam’s younger sister Casey exploring her sexuality, which I think is an important storyline for a show to have. Overall, I think Atypical is a great show.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykayamcgloin1 November 24, 2018

Heartwarming and relatable

This show is very good. It deals with topics such as cheating, family tension, sexuality, dating and change. It is heartwarming, but also very funny. It's easy to relate to the characters and many people will relate to the storyline. Sex is mentioned, kissing is involved and there is a little bit of violence but that's nothing new so this show would be fine for 12 year olds and up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byurphancity April 11, 2018

Eye opening

At first i really thought this show was a little too abrupt, like the character Sam was a little over dramatic but as i got through the show i started to realize how accurate it actually is. Most people ive seen think sams character portrays autism incorrectly, but i have quite a few cousins on the spectrum. Autism effects every child differently, even if you have the same diagnosis as someone else you still reflect on things differently than them. Each and every autism case is different and in this show it confirms that. You get to meet some other kids on the spectrum and they all have different personalities. Of course the show isn't just about sam's autism and his point of view, it shows numerous perspectives of people from his family. This show of course is about teenagers so there are a few "make out" scenes implying they have sex but its not very graphic. There is some smoking between the mother and another character, but it really depends on how mature your child is. It is a wonderful show and there is only one season out now. Its heartbreaking, but really is eye opening. It teaches such a good message and i learned so much more about autism with this show, it really helped me understand it. I 10/10 recommend watching! (With a parent if you're too young) :)

Teen, 16 years old Written byAva76 June 25, 2020
I think this show is worth watching it has lots of positive messages a few sex references but let's be honest most kids now about that or it'll go over there head I think ten is probably the youngest it's very positive show and funny you should definitely watch it or let ur kids watch it

Kid, 11 years old June 9, 2020

one of my favorite shows on netflix! can't wait for the final season!

i love atypical! it is now one of my all-time favorite shows! here is my review:

( i just realized i did this in the adult review by accident :p)

Language: there is very little swearing in the show. the only words i have heard are b!tch and ass. one thing that i feel like parents should worry about is that they talk about sex pretty frequently in the first few episodes of the first season, but they don't really say anything inappropriate. it is just stuff like "are you a virgin" or "do you want to have sex", and "do you need condoms?" all of the sex stuff they talk about no kids 12 or older shouldn't know about already.

Violence: there is no violence in the show except when a girl punched another girl in the face (there was no blood)

sex: they don't show any sex in the show, they just show kissing and it doesn't escalate from that. (they do talk about sex frequently though)

acting: the acting in this show is outstanding. the actors portray their characters very well.

would i recommend watching: yes! i think that you should be around 12 to watch this show. i hope that you like this show as much as i do!

Teen, 14 years old Written byJugheadJones101 May 22, 2020

Great!

A little bit of drinking, references to dating but not much sexual content. A mother hooks up with a bartender which is a subplot.

Teen, 17 years old Written byimboredsoyay May 5, 2020

really good series !!

i love this show, it’s one of my favorites, actually. it’s definitely not as bad as people say. this is not for little kids, but i think the rating is for 12+ kids, or mature 10-11 year olds. there is some kissing, both same sex kissing and opposite sex. definitely some talks about sex but it’s never graphic and nothing that a 11-12 year old can’t handle. the show had great role models and sends positive messages. main characters get into healthy relationships. if you’re a conservative and very religious family, then this isn’t for your family, but i wouldn’t have a problem showing my kids this show.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBasketball_Parental April 27, 2020

I'm 14 I like this show

Good for teens
Teen, 14 years old Written byjustic3 April 26, 2020

Really good

This show is insanely good. It's funny, heartfelt, exciting. It deals with a lot of issues that a lot of people, especially teenagers, go through, like heartbreak, sexuality, losing a friend, having a tough time in school. I watched this show for the second time with my best friend, and we both agreed that this show really made us happy. We laugh at a lot of things, but this show made us CRACK UP. You never end an episode with a bad feeling. It's all good vibes.

Kid, 12 years old March 27, 2020

Great show about autism.

Atypical is a great show, i watched it in about 2 weeks, can't wait for the next season.

Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2020

13+

Atypical is a fun uplifting show, very fun to watch and is one of those shows you can’t stop watching, but there are some parts that need explaining to your child if you are a parent, but nothing a 14 year old can’t handle. There is also some cursing and some words were token to far, like tw**t or h*e. After the first season it gets better and you hardly here anything to bad. I believe some of these reviews are FAKE or exaggerated. But over all a great show to watch.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBessie17 January 1, 2020

Incredible show! So many different storylines!

The only negative reviews are about the portrayal of certain characteristics of someone on the spectrum, or people being blatantly homophobic (about S3). There is so much to the show, I personally think it captures life for an autistic person sensitively yet also has so many other storylines. The affair between the mum and bartender causing friction in the parents’ marriage, the ups and downs of Sam and Paige’s relationship, Sam’s journey of starting college, Casey moving to Clayton Prep, and the adorable relationship of Casey and izzie at the end of season three which is the first non-stereotypical teen lesbian relationship I’ve seen on TV. There is so much to this show, it is gripping, filled with exciting plot twists and better than dramas like riverdale or stranger things. Watch it! And btw there isn’t any actual sex, just references and the only thing shown between any of the couples is kissing/making out. Language is iffy but let’s be realistic all 12 year olds have heard the f word, know what sex is and the only reason parents shy away from anything mentioning sex is because it is embarrassing for the parents!

Teen, 13 years old Written bytks3261 December 28, 2019

Amazing

This show is amazing and inspiring, and has very little violence.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySofabanana December 24, 2019

Amazing

This is an amazing show. Its one of the best I've seen honestly. It's hilarious and heart-warming and it's something everyone should watch. I love this show and would suggest it to anyone looking for a new show to watch.

Teen, 13 years old Written byreillyrock7 November 22, 2019