All parent member reviews for Bates Motel

Parent Written byMissCollier March 17, 2013

RAPE SCENE WAS INTOLERABLE FOR ANY AGE

DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW UNLESS YOU SUPPORT VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN. THE RAPE SCENE WAS UNNECESSARY AND OBNOXIOUS. IT IS INTOLERABLE AND ONLY CONTRIBUTES TO OUR CULTURAL ABILITY TO IGNORE THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR AS INSIGNIFICANT OR TOLERABLE. I HAD TO TURN IT OFF MID WAY THROUGH THE RAPE SCENE HAVING BEEN A RAPE VICTIM MYSELF. THIS TV SHOW IS SHAMELESS AND INEXCUSABLE.
Parent Written byPoonboy777 April 21, 2013

A Modern Take On A Truly Astonishing Psychological Thriller

Bates Motel is a riveting new drama with multivariate psychological themes and elements. It is a modern take on a true horror classic. Parents can expect to see infrequent violent altercations between characters and mild language, much expected from other A&E network dramas. There are some adult themes depicted in the show but there are also positive messages on family dynamics and boundaries within peer relationships. Bates Motel is full of high energy, unexpected turns and superb acting by the lovely veteran actor Vera Farmiga and the young, up and coming Freddie Highmore. Bates is a fabulous new thrilling drama with a fascinating plot and is appropriate for the viewer 15 years of age and older, and it is sure to keep the fan craving and anticipating more with each new episode.
Adult Written byyuri13 October 25, 2014

Should be Rated TV-MA

Violence: 8/10-Many violent scenes, most can be quite disturbing. Sex: 8/10 Voltage-sex between mother and son, rape, graphic sex without nudity and some scenes that masturbation is implied. Language: 5/10-Throughout the season there is constant use of b ** ch and other mild profanity such as c ** p and s ** t. One or two uses of f ** k although They can easily be missed As They are said quietly. Drinking, drugs, & smoking: 7/10-Frequent reference to drugs, marijuana is viewed and used several times. Rated R: For strong sexual and violent content, some drug and alcohol abuse and some language-some Involving teens.
Adult Written bycrusader666 February 23, 2014

Exciting program, but definitely NOT for kids!

I am not now nor I have ever been a parent and I used to cringe when my parents said "you can't watch this" or "you can't watch that." Be that as it may, although the violent scenes are not super gory (thus far), during the rape scene in Season 1, Episode 1, I cringed at the thought that some people on this forum said this program is okay for 16-year-old children to view. Quite frankly, that type of graphic scene should be reserved for an R-rated movie, so maybe I am becoming more prudish in my old age. Consensual sex and modified drug/alcohol use in TV programs aren't a major problem for me; however, the rape scene I feel would be rather disturbing (or should be) to a teenager. All children mature differently, so it might be okay for some 16-year-olds, but not for others. This is where the parent or guardian has a responsibility to monitor what minors watch on TV and at least have a "discussion" afterwards to make sure the teen watching this type of program understands the harm done in an act of rape. I realize this review is written after viewing just the premier episode, so my opinion may change as I watch more episodes. The acting, writing and music is good, so I look forward to watching the entire Season 1; however, I am just not sure this is the type of program teens should be watching.
Educator Written byemmiep November 6, 2014

Seriously disappointed.

I have been so interested in this show ever since I found out Freddie Highmore was in it. I adore him and found him family friendly-until now. This show is very disturbing. I barely made it through the first episode, and an episode in the second season. I am absolutely heartbroken that the show is so graphic and disgusting. I was really hoping to enjoy it. The relationship between mother and son is disturbing- as is everything else. Yes, I realize it's a thriller. Maybe someday I will be able to stand it when watching with my husband to keep me grounded. But I will not be pursuing the rest of the show until even I mature a bit more. Do not let your kids watch.