All parent member reviews for Battlestar Galactica

Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written by3girlsmom January 15, 2010

Not even for teens

I'm not such a fan of sci-fi, but I very much enjoy the plot and storyline of the series. I've seen the full 1st series, but will not continue due to sexual scenes and violence. I am usually not as affected with violence as with other things, but after a while it was just too much. Punching and kicking a person over and over again should never happen, even in fiction. I think the sexual scenes are explicit. It does not show breasts or private parts, but gets as close as possible, including sex scenes where it avoids just those areas, making what I think is too much even for teens. I agree with a kid reviewer who called it "Battlestar Erotica". The swearing isn't quite so bad, but the use of "frack" gets to be so frequent that it starts to give the notion of saying f*** instead. There is a lot of drinking also, but it doesn't bother me as much. It's unfortunate that they put so much of these in the show.
Adult Written bymishra April 9, 2008

Sci-Fi for Adults Only

I am a huge science fiction fan of much of what is in the movies and t.v.(Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.), but this show should only be for 18 years and older. The significant violence that began the new series has now added drug use, attempted rape, and many other inappropriate material for non-adults. I let my kids watch Stargate and some episodes of Stargate Atlantis, but I won't let them watch this because of its many mature themes and material.
Adult Written bycptnrandy April 9, 2008

Amazing TV, but recommended for mature viewers

This is some of the best writing and performing currently on TV. It's filled with characters who are simply not possible to tag as "good" or "bad". If your teen is interested and capable of following the complex story lines and morally testing themes, than I'd recommend it. It's not just science fiction - it's terrific drama. My 14 year old daughter and I are big fans.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 12 year old Written bymorgancharles January 23, 2010

An excellent, complex series for the entire family together; yes, the entire family.

We watch this as a family show together-- there is violence and sexuality and it can be hard to watch, and we may pause the show and discuss it, or occasionally skip over some scenes-- BUT it really depends on whether your children have had rich and healthy experiences learning about, discussing, and watching more 'mature' shows like BG-- if they have, then what they can gain from a show like this, which is superbly written and acted, is an exposure to powerful human and moral dilemmas, complex emotions, difficult choices, but all in the end moving towards good choices and good values-- the central heroes are flawed but excellent role models, from the female President to the male Commander-- overall, there is no better series on television, and very little of the action is gratuitous-- the show is complex, exciting, and deep-- and with shared, open, and thoughtful discussion, it can be a very valuable experience for any family willing and able to venture into uncharted territories, just like the characters in the story.
Adult Written bydiesot September 21, 2009

Good but dodgy elements

It's a very good TV series and arguably one of the best science fiction series ever made. However, the sexual content is abundant (even though no actual nudity is shown, it's consistently inappropriate) and I found the preoccupation with God and the one Messianic character to border so badly on blasphemy that I decided to stop watching it.
Adult Written byLB April 9, 2008

Not for kids!

My husband and I are big sci-fi fans but decided to stop watching this fascinating show half-way through the first season. Although the episodes we watched were grim and tense, with very few light or uplifting momements, we were engaged by the story and the complex characters, and we wanted to keep watching. However, there is too much explicit sex, skimpy clothing, and upsetting violence (a main character tortures a prisoner and a woman is brutally beaten by another woman). I would not let my teenagers watch this.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLisette's Mom July 5, 2013

Sci-Fi Geek Mum Says "No Way" for 11-or-12-Year-Olds

I haven't done the math on this, but I don't see how this series got an age-appropriate rating of 12 years from paretns, given all of the "Not For Kids" ratings that have been logged so far. My husband and I love this series. I agree with everything I read in this review, and I think 14 years or 15 years is the appropriate age to begin watching. We have a 13-year-old who won't be allowed to watch it for a year or two. There are occasional, brief, but fairly explicit scenes involving intercourse and masturbation, and while most of the romantic relationships are realistic and mutually supportive, there are a few couples whose relationship is ambiguous--exactly who is manipulating who, how and why? I think this is way too much to process for kids whose romantic lives are just beginning. Also, it may not be shown explicitly, but there are a few prisoners, including female prisoners, who are beaten badly. The make-up used to show this is graphic, and the emotional tension between prisoners and perpetrators is quite high. I am an elected officer in my church, and I am absolutely NOT offended by the Messianic character and the running discussion over the relative merits of monotheism and polytheism. It is not a direct allegory (since most contemporary religious conflicts are between monotheistic groups), but it serves as a useful and thought-provoking device for examining political, religious and class differences in our own world culture.
Adult Written byBigGus April 9, 2008
Parent Written byspacejockeys April 9, 2008

Good social commentary, but mature content

This is one of my favorite programs, but it comes with substantial sexual content/violent scenes. This is matched, however, by the maturity of its social commentary on human behavior and exposition of the inward journeys of its characters.
Parent Written byjohnwromano November 18, 2013

More sex than "romantic interludes"

Be aware, there are sex scenes in BSG. "Romantic interludes" doesn't cover it. They constantly show the Baltar character's sexual fantasies. They often show other characters having sex.
Parent Written byU.N. Owen September 8, 2012

One of - if not THE BEST series of the 21st century, so far.

A great show, on it's surface, with many lessons, many parables about our (humanity) lives. The overall message is a very positive one. Only through moving forward, from learning from our past mistakes, can we move forward, and break old chains.
Adult Written byitsjustashowyouknow January 25, 2010

philosophical discussion inferences to our society

It has lots of things in it that can lead to philosophical questions and discussions you can have with your kids or anyone and can relate that world/society to our own and draw inferences to whats happening today. Its a really great show.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byKeipczarool December 17, 2009

Not your parents Battlestar Galactica

Humanity is nearly destroyed and hangs on by its fingerstips against a ruthless enemy. Great story telling, special effects and plot line. Loved it, but due to the sex, violence (war, murder, executions, suicides,) and complicated plot lines, it's not for young children.
Adult Written bytheDogHerni August 6, 2009

its ok

Battlestar galactica is a good drama syfy show but has some bad stuff like limited sex scenes and violence.the sex is pretty strong for tv.but it is a good show and I recomend it if you are ok with that kind of stuff.its over now so you should get it on dvd