All parent member reviews for Between the Lions

Parent Written bymriordan60 October 9, 2010

A MUST SEE FOR CHILDREN LEARNING TO READ

As a parent and a first grade teacher, I can't recommend this show enough for children. It is not only educational and entertaining, it has been proven by research to help kids learn to read. The beauty of it is, they don't realize how education it is. To them it is just fun. My only problem is that it is often on during the school day when Kindergarten and first grade students are in school. Parents can dvr it but the kids who most need to see it also have the parents who aren't likely to dvr the show. That is why I have purchased the DVD season sets from PBS and show them to the children in my classroom as a treat! CHECK IT OUT on your local PBS station!
Parent Written byghecko13 October 9, 2012

Good show for kids learning how to read

Good show/movie for kids just learning how to read. I thought the puppets were more geared towards toddlers but the reading portions kept my daughter interested who is turning 5 soon.
Adult Written byThe JP Show May 25, 2009

Educational

Educational, but they said stupid in one episode
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bysthomas April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLowe's man April 30, 2016

Something good from people who'd previously done something good.

This series combines the best elements from SESAME STREET and THE ELECTRIC COMPANY, and why not? After all, many of the people who worked on this show previously worked on SESAME STREET and THE ELECTRIC COMPANY. It also does a double duty by teaching children not only how to read, but also to read (as is evidenced by the fact that books are read on air during the program). This is also likey to be more appealing to the youngest readers (4 and 5 year olds) than THE ELECTRIC COMPANY, for, while THE ELECTRIC COMPANY skews a couple years older, BETWEEN THE LIONS is geared for preschoolers. The parodies ensure that this series will also appeal to adults, as well as older children. We should want BETWEEN THE LIONS back on PBS.
Adult Written byouarda April 9, 2008
Parent Written bykabook April 9, 2008
I like this show! It's cute & clever (love the Gwain's Word segment). However, my son did not really get interested in the show until he was just starting to read; so the CSM comment about the words flashing too quickly might be correct. But now he loves it; he loves reading the words & figuring out what new words can be made by switching the letters around. I'd rather they watch almost anything on PBS(Kids) than some of the other mindless junk that's out there!