Parent reviews for Camelot

Guilty-pleasure soap injects sex into Arthurian legend.

Adult Written bymikaylalwrites July 7, 2019

Honestly...

I watched nearly the whole thing at 17. I really like Jamie Campbell Bower (Arthur) as Jace Wayland (The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones), Anthony Hope (Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street), and as the lead singer of his rock band, Counterfeit, so I said "Hey, why not" and watched it.

The sex scenes are gratuitous, to say the least. I felt mildly uncomfortable for some of the first episode. You can easily skip over these though, they're not super relevant.

I'd say the amount of violence makes sense considering the legend, era, and plot. It's not particularly gory. If you've seen Hostel, Final Destination, or anything like that, don't expect to be grossed out. It's lighter than some other movies and shows I've seen so it's alright. Too much for a seven-year-old, probably not too much for a thirteen-year-old.

The plot is okay. Not bad, not good. I'll admit that some of the drama wasn't all that enticing. As I said, I watched this mostly for an actor I liked. The other actors were quite good. Not the best but thoroughly convincing.

One of the complaints I read was about who plays Arthur.I am well aware people are used to seeing rather unrealistic people as heroes but Jamie's Arthur was considerably more "historically accurate" than a short-haired, bulkier man would have been. I put this in quotes considering most tellings of this tale aren't striving for exactly historically accurate. It makes perfect sense considering the lack of indoor plumbing that his hair would be relatively unkempt. It was a stylistic choice. Plus, you don't want to that actor with shorter hair, his ears are slightly too large and he looks very strange that way. Plus, that length gives the opportunity for Arthur in man buns and I think that's great.

Despite the sex and violence, I'd say Arthur as a character isn't too bad of a role model. He's courageous and kind. While his affair with a soon-to-be-married woman wasn't a good decision, it shows that even good guys make bad decisions. Also, I think that Arthur respects women more than some of his counterparts, which is a good thing for everyone to see.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend it to families with young children but a teenager alone during the weekend might like it well enough.

Adult Written bySadman July 16, 2017

Sex substitutes for plot

A lot of people believe that Starz has a rule that all its shows must contain sex scenes, regardless of whether they're necessary. I don't know whether it's true or not, but Camelot certainly lives up to the stereotype. I was only able to watch a bit of this show before giving up on it because it really felt like the non-sex stuff was just filler before getting to "the good bits". If you want a more rewarding - doesn't matter if you're a parent with kids or a single adult - take on the Arthurian legend, watch the more family-friendly Merlin. Interestingly, Merlin (whose run overlapped with that of Camelot) lasted for 5 highly rated seasons and only ended because they ran out of story. Camelot was canned after 10 episodes. I think the math is easy to work out on this one.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bychazah September 24, 2013

Very violent, sex, and nudity

Just watched first episode of Camelot... won't be watching anymore! It had a lot of nudity and sex in it. The guy playing the role of King Arthur is a joke! A puny looking wimp... killed it for me! A complete miscast. He was too goofy and his hair always seemed to be very unclean and uncombed! He was not powerful enough and he just didn't make the role of Arthur believable at all. He's more like a gangly awkward teenager with acne. Now his foster brother, Kay, would have made a great King Arthur in this series, as he had more charisma, presence, looked more grown up and manly, and was far better looking too! It badly needed a stronger character for Arthur, as the lead character has to be very good otherwise you lose the whole series and its just a flop! It was also very aggressive and violent... this is NOT for kids at all! Even I didn't like it!

Adult Written byMr. Underhill June 8, 2011

It's fun, and fun is even better when you share it.

Does EVERYTHING we expo "se children to have to have "a positive message"--whatever that is? Life is full of ups and downs, and things often do not turn out as we plan. War is a global reality, the economy's terriffying, climate change is real. We need to prepare our children for those realities. If they see nothing but happy endings, they won't be prepared. I don't think children need more brutality and violence in their faces, but they do need to be taught that there are other ways of managing our problems. "Camelot" is good viewing for parents & children over 10 to watch and discuss together. What mistakes has Arthur made that could cost him his dream? Same question goes for Merlin. The world is full of Morgans, but those hurt, bitter, and vengeful people weren't born that way? How might Morgan and Arthur work out their differences? They really do have "Uther" issues, and that makes for common ground. I'm not writing an essay here; people can come up with plenty of material. But the key is to watch "Camelot" with your kids.