Parent reviews for Captain Planet and the Planeteers

Help Captain Planet save the earth!

Adult Written bynduns July 3, 2015

Well-meaning, but really poorly handled

First off, this show is guilty of that same issue I have with lots of environmental animated works from this time period: they put all their focus on the message and visuals and not enough on the characters. Look, if I don't care about the characters or find them interesting, it's hard for me to care about what they're doing, even if it's a real-world issue. But to be honest, that's the least of its problems. I actually applaud this show for trying to focus on other issues. It tackles AIDS, overpopulation and even takes a stab at Hitler in one episode, so it's not just centered around saving the environment. Unfortunately, again, it handles this pretty poorly. For starters, Planet himself is kind of a lame hero. He usually shows up for about 2 minutes to give speeches regarding the lesson being learned, gets easily weakened by the thing he's supposed to fight against and then proceeds to let the unauthorized teens deal with everything else. And actually, that leads me to my second biggest issue with the series: pollution is what makes the main characters' powers weaker. Maybe if Planet was a machine with air ducts attached to him or something like that, I could make sense of that, but no, these kids and Planet are supposed to fight pollution. Isn't it just a little too inconvenient that their biggest weakness is the very thing they're fighting against? Maybe if they were using it for character development or this job wasn't forced on them and they were just volunteering to fight this thread, that would be a good idea, but no, in the context of the show, it makes no sense. Also, I gotta comment on the overpopulation episodes because these are, by far, the most insulting to come from this series. Both of them insinuate that parents should only have 2 children. First of all, imagine a kid being the third in the family and hearing this. Don't you think that would scar the child? It would give off the implication that any financial problems or arguments their parents are dealing with is their fault. Secondly, Ted Turner, the show's creator, has 5 kids, and yes, he had that many kids when he made this series. Kinda hypocritical, don't you think? All-in-all, I used to love this show, but it has not aged well.

Adult Written byCommonSenseChristian December 31, 2012

Hey, You Kids! Off My Planet!

This show was popular when I was a little kid, but it was not allowed in our house, because it is an example of environmental extremism. Capitalism, business, and the like are painted as inherently evil, with anyone who even questions how best to take care of the planet labeled as a "polluter." Wheeler, the show's only American, is also the only one portrayed as spoiled and stupid, with the other characters pointing this out at his expense. Linka, the Russian character, even calls him an "imperialist dog." Other stereotypes abound, such as the black Kwame being painted as the one most concerned about gang violence. As other reviewers have noted, this show also perpetuates guilt about not living completely "green," myths about global warming, etc. If today's kids are anything like me when I was a kid, they will come away thinking their parents are bad for driving cars. Pantheistic religious overtones, such as "Gaia, the spirit of the earth," may disturb some parents. As a final note: it is inherently deceptive to teach children the earth can be "saved." The earth goes through cycles; things live and they die. The Planeteers are actually being quite anti-nature in their attitude.

Adult Written bydanny800 April 21, 2019
i think captain planet and the planeteers is a very good show but its not for kids because its very vilonte theres a gorilla hand that was turned into a ash tray by poachers linkas cousin dies of a drug overdose theres a driveby shootout of a family and a realistic image of a dead kid and theres some Adult jokes and 2 episodes are about drugs and aids with that being said captain planet and the planeteers is not for kids and i dont recommend it for anyone under the age of 14

Adult Written byOrangedragon17 July 21, 2018

An underappreciate show with plenty of good messages

This was more than an animated series, this is the show that turned me into an environmental advocate. Yes, I know there are some weaknesses, but at least take the message and go with it.

Adult Written bydanny 7000 August 29, 2017

captain planet and the planeteers is not for kids

i think captain planet and the planeteers is a very good show but its not for kids because its very vilonte theres a gorilla hand that was turned into a ash tray by poachers linkas cousin dies of a drug overdose theres a driveby shootout of a family and a realistic image of a dead kid and theres some Adult jokes and 2 episodes are about drugs and aids with that being said captain planet and the planeteers is not for kids and i dont recommend it for anyone under the age of 13

Adult Written byBrianaB September 19, 2015

Adult Written byLPSFan1994 April 4, 2014

Great especially for self confidence!

I have been watching this show since I was about 3 or 4 years old. People say that it is preachy, but you know what the facts they give in the show are 100% true! I have looked it up. Being a cartoon doesn't make it any less true than a documentary. It is a cartoon to attract younger kids to learn about the issues surrounding us every day like pollution, and violence. Because it is not just pollution that destroys our world but also violence, because younger kids will copy what they see you doing. Another thing is people have said that they make everyone who doesn't agree look like a "polluter" but that is not true, Captain Planet strives for a good balance because anything to excess is bad. One episode, Canned Hunt shows Linka who believed that all hunting is bad but she learns through the episode that hunting is only bad when it is not done properly. They don't go too far, they just take every day problems and break it down so it is easy for kids of all ages to understand. It is no different than Magic School Bus, Liberty Kids or Cyberchase. They just use cartoons as a way to teaching kids so they will understand and want to watch.

Adult Written byAl Jackson April 15, 2012

Violent at times but still good.

This show is violent but not bad.It is REALLY funny and entertaing.