Parent reviews for Centaurworld

Centaurworld Poster Image

A show made for kids but NOT for kids

This show is great at a first glance. It’s fun, bright, colourful, and wacky. Yet the longer I watched with my little sister and family we realized that the weirdness hid a lot of inappropriate jokes and messages for kids. A show that advertises itself as a show for 7+ shouldn’t be making jokes CONSTANTLY about stealing, murder, weird pregnancy jokes?? Seriously mentioning ‘afterbirth’ is really unnecessary and will probably scar some kids with access to the internet who decide to google that. I’m all for this show for an older audience who knows how to separate the weirdness from the actual good portion of the show.

2 people found this helpful.

A Bit Risque for Young Viewers

I'd recommend screening before watching with children. Particularly a few of the season 2 episodes, as I found it got a little more risque in season 2.

Good hidden gem of a musical show; darker themes but not in a negative way

The show has great songs! I really liked the show as an adult. It's really silly at times and Kiddo (7) liked thought the faces and animation were funny (slapstick, exaggerations, etc.). There is some pretty funny potty humor too. It does have really hard hitting/darker themes like suicide and war -- however, I don't feel as if the violence was all that severe at least in the first season. The second season is a bit darker. There were some moments (where a character similarly acts in an equivalent sort of way to women talking about hot firefighters in a calendar) in the first season I felt were a BIT too much for Kiddo (7) -- but mostly went right over their head. I'd stick with maybe Season 1 is more along ages 7-8 (with more mature jokes going over the kids heads) where Season 2 is darker so ages 10+. The writing is also a bit better in Season 1 and I found it was a bit better with story progression; Season 2 seemed more slapped together in terms of story progression. Although it does end rather nicely and does conclude relatively well.

that it’s a family show

my child thought it was so funny however it had some voince

A PG show for adults, not kids

My 8 year old said it made her feel uncomfortable and started crying (and she loves Skyrim and Hilda). A lot of kid-inappropriate content suggestions and allusions; seduction, anal sex, codependency, suicide, fetishism, penetration, and other topics. Even if they pull their punches, kids know. While technically "PG" the content is on par with South Park or Bojack Horseman. It says something that Netflix advertised it for both my account and my kid's. Fail on their part.

Serious themes in a captivating package

The storytelling, music and animation are second to none. Serious themes are broached: finding oneself, bravery, loyalty, integrity, diversity, mental health, war, death… just to name a few. There are some darker topics including a few scenes related to suicidal intent (balanced with the strong, clear message that it isn’t the best solution), but they are handled in a way that sailed right over the head of my very perceptive 9 year old. I was expecting questions, but there are none. I expect that this is why the show got a 7+ rating: there is darkness, but it wouldn’t necessarily be noticed until the viewer has a higher level of sophistication in thought. I would suggest that parents watch with their kids the first time through to gauge their reaction to the heavier themes. As for our family, we are on our 4th time through, we have the soundtrack, and we are still finding new things to marvel at.

Way better than it looks

This show is like what would happen if Adventure Time cut to the chase and introduced its surprisingly thought-provoking elements from the get-go instead of having us wait a whole season for it. Basically, this is up there with some of the biggest 'don't judge a book by its cover' shows I've seen. What I thought would be a goofy animated series set in a fantasy world is surprisingly heavy, and unlike Adventure Time, they let you know how heavy it's gonna be within the first five minutes. We open up with this super dark setting, a calming yet also chilling lullaby followed by the main character being torn from her best friend... followed by the insanity I was expecting, but with some layers beneath the surface that are hidden but not so much that they're hard to spot. I actually teared up multiple times throughout this one season alone. Though, also like Adventure Time, there is a lot of over-the-top humor that might remind you of cartoons from the 30's, you know, back when logic wasn't really a factor, when you could throw anything at the audience and it would somehow make sense. There are also fart jokes, though to be fair, they actually use them for character building purposes... which is weird, but effective. But probably the biggest shock of all is the songs. This series is a musical with each episode containing at least four numbers. And this soundtrack should not be this amazing. So many of these songs sound like they belong in a Broadway play. Nevertheless, I highly recommend checking this out. Don't let its outward appearance scare you away like I almost did.