Adult Written byutonium4 April 9, 2008

Successful Fusion of Anime, Westerns and Sci-Fi

Cowboy Bebop is a great introduction into anime for those new to it. Bebop is a benign show--adult themes are dealt with delicately and female characters are protrayed as strong and multidimensional. The soundtrack is phenomenal and it is is almost worth watching for that alone. My kids have watched and seemed to come away better for it.
Adult Written byAllie Pierson June 10, 2012

One of the best animes out there!!

This show is beast but it's not a kid's anime. It is okay for older teens, though.
Adult Written byCollegeGradGuy May 28, 2012

Most of what makes it great also makes it not for kids...

I say not for kids, when really your teen can probably handle it fine, but it's your call because the series is pretty incredibly violent, and characters are heavily sexualized. That's nowhere near all this series, which has an excellent score by Yoko Kano comprised of jazz and blues songs ranging from hauntingly somber to exciting and catchy, has to offer, but this is clearly not targeted at children.
Adult Written byRachael Ward March 19, 2012

One of the best anime titles out there

While this anime is obviously set for a mature audience, it is a character driven narrative that is worth watching together. The ideas of the right and wrong ways to live your life are presented in a unique sci-fi world and combines it with western like themes. You might need to be careful on who you show this to in terms of age and maturity but for those who can handle the violence and mature content, this anime is a feast for the eyes as well as the mind.
Adult Written bymyrab51 January 9, 2012

Brilliant, but for older teens

This is my all time favorite anime. I have seen it many times, and own the series. However, I have not let my 10 and 12 year old watch it. Pros: The main characters are well developed. Throughout the series you do grow to feel like you know them, and what they are thinking. The stories are good. The characters are intelligent, and have good humor. The female characters are free thinking and independent. The group takes in a homeless child and cares for her. When the characters do show emotional sides, they are believable and not too sappy. They are kind to animals, and have a pet dog. The soundtrack really great. The show is just highly entertaining. It is a guilty pleasure. Cons (from a family perspective): Some of the things that give the characters depth, are also things that would make you not want to invite them home to dinner around your kids. Although there is never sex on the show, the characters are sexual. Spike makes some comments sometimes such as "I love a woman that can kick my ...." Faye wears a bright yellow next to nothing outfit that is barely kept together by a pair of suspenders. She has very large breasts that barely fit in her top, and are occasionally a focus of attention. From time to time there are gender identity issues that come up. The child character is named Ed, and often confused for a boy. A supporting character was transgender. The main characters also have some bad habits which include smoking, drinking, gambling, shouting, cussing, and fighting. There are firearms, and people do get hurt with them. There is occasionally blood, death, and a one suicide. Wrap up: If you are a fan of anime and rated R action genre movies, you may (probably will) like Cowboy Bebop. If that genre doesn't really do it for you, than you will probably want to pass.
Parent of a 13, 15, and 16 year old Written byNervousParentOf3Boys April 4, 2015

cowboy bebop was a really good anime for my boys.

This guy who made this anime also made Space Dandy and Fullmetal Alchemist. My boys loved them. And he misses the long lineup...
Parent of a 8, 9, and 10 year old Written byParentof3animefans February 22, 2015

LOVE IT

Adult Written byverum December 18, 2011

Great

A really, really good anime with a good English dub. It also features great music.
Adult Written bymgraf January 30, 2011
Like the various forms of jazz used as the musical background and accompaniment, this show's characters and plots are alternately changeable, thoughtful, frenetic, erratic, violent, languid, calm, romantic, nostalgic, and complex. The themes and subtlety on display here are best for more mature watchers, although the visuals might keep younger ones engaged (and distracted from more questionable moments). Various episodes deal with crime (as a matter of course; the main characters are bounty hunters), drugs, gambling (one is character is addicted), sexuality, vengeance, regret, romance, religion, and what happens to food left in the fridge far too long.
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byILOVEGITS January 16, 2011

A Classic And A Masterpiece That Will Never Be Forgotten

I Love It! Me And My Two Kids Are Rollin Through This Series. We Started A Couple Days Ago And Have About 12 Episodes Left! We Are Staying Up All Night Tonight And Hopefully Finish It. If Your Kid/Teenager Loves Anime, I Would Definitely Recommend This To Parents And Teenagers, Thank You
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009