All parent member reviews for Dance Academy

Parent Written bysumoni May 19, 2012

Wonderful show for preteens and up.

I really enjoy this show. I've watched 1 season and a few episodes of the 2nd. I do think you shouldn't let your kid watch it alone and here's why. Although you have a group of teens trying to become great dancers while finding themselves, big thing is their still learning. So they're going to make mistakes and get hurt just like any other teen. So it's important as a parent to make sure your son/daughter understands the consequences of the actions the characters do and why they shouldn't be mimicked. For example the character Kat, is very goofy, loves to be herself, and is very optimistic. Something a young girl would like to look up to. However due to Kat's home life, she doesn't fully appreciate how lucky she is to be at a privileged school. She treats her place sometimes as a joke and gets irritated when her friends don't want to goof off with her. She feels it's better to rebel and do what makes you feel good, rather than do what needs to be done. That's a great chance to talk to a pre-teen about personal responsibility, entitlement, and the importance of hard work. Also, Kat's mother is VERY neglectful, so it better explains why Kat acts the way she does.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg December 15, 2012

MY REVIEW

Im 12 and I love this show! I have to admit that its a bit unnapropiatte for kids under 12. You probably wont really get it or enjoy it anyway if your younger than 12 so I say you should wait (:
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written bySanFranMom87 July 5, 2014

Excellent family drama for dance lovers

I was recommended this show on Netflix and was hooked after two episodes. First of all it is set in stunning Sydney harbor so the scenery is drop dead gorgeous. Second the acting is nuanced and rich by talented young people and those laying their strict teachers and parents. Unlike US TV thus is more realistic in its depiction of teens, their issues and lack of judgment. Many of the characters make bad choices and learning about consequences is a key part of the show's themes. The acting and dancing is splendid. This is a show for anyone who enjoys dancing. There is a bit of girls on underwear but the show is very appropriate re sex and sexual issues. It us no Glee but more believable and better done. I recommend it.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bytravelinlite75 April 23, 2016

This is Not PG-13!

I would feel so uncomfortable if I had a teen daughter went to see it with her. This should not be rated PG13! The sexual content and partial nudity is not appropriate for a 13,14 yr old or any teen for that matter. This was marketed towards teens and would be very awkward for teens if they went on a date or with friends to see this. Not sure why that think this is ok for a PG13 rating.
Parent Written byMom K. August 28, 2016

Ages

Think that 10 or 11 would be fine to start watching this show but I guess it depends on response ability I watch this with my daughter per and she is 12.