All parent member reviews for Deadwood

Adult Written byCloonetroop April 9, 2008

Worthless

This show is not worth watching.
Adult Written bycarmital April 9, 2008

Cannot get enough!

Deadwood is the greatest show to come along since The Sopranos. A show that is for 17 and older. It realistically shows how things were back in the 1870's, during the gold rush. It's violence, language, sex, and racism which existed makes it so believable. As well as the drug use. The acting is incredible and the way creator David Milch captures every scene with realism especially the drug use speaking from experience is exceptional. Each episode can be watched over and over without growing tired of.
Adult Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009

Adult Written byseiko16 April 9, 2008

Parent Written byredcoffee July 21, 2013

NOT EVEN RECOMMENDED FOR 'DECENT' ADULTS

I managed to suffer through 20 minutes of one episode (July 2013-dvd) and I found absolutely no redeeming qualities in it whatsoever!!!! 8 -10 "F" words per minute.. on the low end, that makes it 400-500 per hour. I couldn't get past the "F" words to even figure out what the show was about. I'm not a 'prude'...but too much is too much!
Adult Written byviper_wings April 7, 2015

Absolutely not for kids but what a series !

This series is one of the best . From the characters - the surroundings up to the swollen Shakespearian script. The dialogues are supreme and puzzling . The characters intriguing. So much is not said. So much to figure out yourself. If your over 18 this is one show you should not miss............
Adult Written bymathewa January 8, 2015

Great TV but mature.

Their is disgusting violence, and sex. Their is so much swearing sailors would blush. Their is so much consumption of whiskey and cigarette smoke.
Adult Written byRebeccaArms December 2, 2014

One of the best TV series ever.

This show is absolutely not for kids. I would recommend parents watch it first and then decide what ages are appropriate. This is an adult themed series, and is one of the best I've seen on HBO, or any TV series for that matter. The actors are great, the writing is brilliant, the atmosphere is interesting. If you have an aversion to cussing and swear words, be warned there are a lot of them. But they don't feel gratuitous; they are very much part of setting the atmosphere. After the first couple episodes I stopped noticing them, they just sort of flow with the story. I would highly recommend this series to adults.
Parent of a 5, 9, and 12 year old Written byZendawg704 June 9, 2013

Graphic and raw western drama

Deadwood tells a fictionalized story of a frontier camp in the midst of a gold-rush in the wild west. Many adult topics are prominent such as assault, murder, profanity, racism, sexism, prostitution, drinking, gambling, theft, and general lawlessness. While there are characters that exhibit admirable qualities, terrible events are suffered by innocents, and many of the main characters are shady at best, with the lines between the good and the bad very transient indeed. This is not a show for kids, or for adults that enjoy a black and white good-guys vs. bad-guys western. That said, it's well written, well acted, and generally one of the finest western dramas ever produced for television.
Educator and Parent Written byshylo321 October 6, 2012

Objective view of Deadwood

Extremely graphic both in visual and auditory content, therefore not appropriate for young children. That being said, the series provides a realistic view of what life was really like in the old west. The characters are real; there are plots and subplots that are a part of real life. The viewer must be mature enough to relate to all the nuisances presented.
Parent of a 8, 9, and 11 year old Written byMike Weston August 11, 2009

Amazing show, but the cursing is BRUTAL!

I agree with the synopsis above (if you haven't been using that word for more than 10 years, this show is not for you) is accurate. Moreover, I think that there are many adults out there who would be appalled by a lot of the situations in the show (the language being the first one that comes to mind). That said, this is probably the BEST show I have ever seen. It has a depth and philisophicalness (I know that's not a real word) that is unparalleled. I was saddened by the end of the series, and I mourn the show often.