All parent member reviews for Death Note

Parent Written byobnoxiousm September 6, 2010

Great Moral Questions But No Answers; Watch with Less Mature Teens

Death Note, the story of a brilliant teenager who finds a notebook that can kill and decides to rid the world of evil, is pure genius but misses the mark with its "shounen" or young male audience. Because Light is the main character, it's easy to assume he's the "good guy." If you do that, you miss the message entirely... which is what many kids who watch this show do. I'm a big Death Note fan, but I was 21 when I first found it. I was able to look at Light go from innocent but bitter teenager to delusional world conqueror and go, "OK, power corrupts." I was able to look away from him as a role model and identify moral, upstanding, kind-hearted Soichiro, Light's Father and the only good character in the piece according to its author, as someone I'd like to be more like. Many teenagers and even tweens can pick up on this, but some can't. Watch a little with your kid before you let them at it themselves, just in case they're one of the naive youngsters who feel that "Light Was Right." If you're worried about specific content, there's a lot of violence. Most of the deaths are bloodless heart attacks, but there is at least one particularly bloody shooting and some lesser ones. Also, Misa's clothing is downright scandalous and Light treats women like excrement. And the language! Even the second opening has the F-word in it! Still, all this is in the service of creating a gritty, realistic world that shows the best and worst that humanity has to offer. Death Note is wonderfully complex and poses great moral questions... but it refuses to answers them. If you don't know for sure that your child can find their own answers, you need to watch it with them. Even if not, it can't hurt--they'll appreciate having someone to try out their interpretation with and you can probably provide that better than their friends.
Adult Written byHalfBloodPrincess April 27, 2012

Hours of Entertainment. I Highly recommend it!

This is my all-time favourite anime and I highly recoomend that any anime fan 12+ watch it. That being said, there is some violence. Light kills hundreds of people, however most of them simply die of heart attacks, so it's not at all gruesome. There is one man who is hit by a car, and *SPOILER ALERT* Light is shot in the last episode and bleeds quite a bit *END OF SPOILER* but the blood is not really too graphic. It's implied that two people commit suicide (one because of Light) but it's not shown. There are a few swear words throughout the series like "h0ll" and "d0mn", but nothing too bad. There are some innuendos and Misa wears some skimpy outfits, but sex isn't really an issue in this series. Although Light and Misa live together without getting married, so this might be an issue for some people, depending on your personal beliefs. There are a few characters that may be frightening to some viewers, namely the Shinigamis, Rem and Ryuk, but they're not violent or malicious, just a bit scary-looking. I don't think anyone over 12 is going to have much of a problem with them. Although Light is obviously a psychopath, there are several characters in the series who are good role models, for example, L. He is incredibly smart and resourceful and has a strong sense of justice. He risks everything in order to catch Kira (Light) and is honestly one of the best characters I've seen in an anime. Virtually any of the characters fighting on the good side can be considered a good role model and in the end, evil characters get what they deserve.
Parent Written byKaterinaP. May 20, 2012

For mature minded kids 12+

I as a parent think this show is incredible, I really like it and I let my teenage daughter watch it, though she is 12 years old she has a very mature mind, she's really intellegent and as well understand situations kids her age don't understand as well. This show is on for kids 10+ if they are mature enough. Parents need to understand that sometimes the show has strong vocabulary and some romantic scenes. I really recommend this show as a parent and as a fan of this show.
Adult Written byKitten830 June 25, 2011

I've watched this entire series, from begining to end.

As the "What parents need to know" says, this anime series is NOT for younger audiences. It's very dark, lots of killing and violence. For adults only! I have no idea who these people are saying it's for 10-14 year olds, but that is definitely not the case.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique November 5, 2014

The Creativity Shines

There is violence in this show, it is built on violence, however it is not violence that is there for the sake of violence, it serves a purpose. This purpose is due to showing the criminal justice system and what would happen if someone had the ability to kill with a name and a face, it takes a topic, an idea and turns it into something incredibly beautiful. This tale is dark, it's a tragedy, it shows real live scenarios and makes you know that just because there are two forces on opposite sides with one being considered good and the other evil does not mean this is your every day story where it is obvious what is going to happen. This story is very realistic despite it being fiction, it may have Shinigamis in it which are mythical creatures, however the human emotion, the fear, the want, the desire, the need for control, the need for safety, the media propaganda is all human and we have seen it done repeatedly in society, especially now. And probably the most interesting part about the series is that the main antagonist is the main character which is another thing not common in any kind of story telling because humans like their heroes, but we often get bored by knowing these heroes and watching them without fear that something will happen which makes Death Note so much more interesting there is that fear that someone we like could die, there is that fear that their world could go into darkness, that Kira's vision could become reality and we feel with these characters, we experience their ride, we see Light at his highest and at his lowest. We see characters we adore suffer, we see characters we hate prosper, and it shows that this is reality in a way, we see evil people getting away with things they should be punished for and we see bad things happen to good people. All in all I highly recommend it because it is something that hasn't been done before and it cannot be replicated to fit our fairytales or what we consider the perfect life and that is refreshing to see another take on a different story.
Adult Written byRIPsquishy August 10, 2010
Adult Written bysweetestangel20 April 9, 2008

I love it!

At first when they started showing it on Adult Swim I wasnt too sure but it has grown on me and I love it. Yes it has some violence in it and some mild language but then again so does most of the anime on Adult Swim. I read the manga and Im glad that it was made into an anime. It isnt for little children to watch which is why it comes on so late at night.
Parent Written byPakistanPEGI December 20, 2014

13 and up

Dark anime only for teens and adults. Real Violence Sexual Themes Bad Language(damn,hell)
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMommacat13 April 12, 2014

Excellent psychological crime thriller for teens

As a parent who loves horror and sci-fi, I enjoyed this series immensely. The animation is beautiful and the story compelling. This show is NOT gory and any violence is implied and rather tame compared to some 'super-hero' shows geared for younger watchers. I would definitely recommend using your judgement based on YOUR child and their tastes and comfort level. While my daughter (10) would find this show scary, her friend who's 11 would really enjoy it. With ANY anime, it's always best to watch a few episode yourself to gauge the content and vibe, then decide if it's something your child would be able to contextualize and enjoy.
Adult Written byTV-14-DLSV Teen Boy January 11, 2012

Death Note is a Just Fine Adult Swim Anime TV Show.

Death Note is a Just fine Adult Swim Anime TV Show from 2007. I just owned Box Set 1 episodes 1-20 on f.y.e. store at WoodField Mall and soon I will own Box Set 2 episodes 21-37 on f.y.e.store at WoodField Mall hopefully. Some episodes of Death Note are RATED TV-14-V (V=INTENSE VIOLENCE) and some episodes of Death Note are RATED TV-14-LV (L=STRONG COARSE LANGUAGE.) P.s.in a rating system called Viz media Death Note is RATED T+ FOR OLDER TEEN (recommended for ages 16 and up.) If you want to own Death Note instead of beeing RATED TV-14-V (V=INTENSE VIOLENCE) or beeing RATED TV-14-LV (L=STRONG COARSE LANGUAGE) (V=INTENSE VIOLENCE.) Death Note will be RATED T+ FOR OLDER TEEN (from Viz media.) I recommend Death Note.
Parent Written byWalt L January 13, 2015

Pure Psychological Drama

First, the show is not "violent" in the physical way (at least, not often). It's a battle of minds and wills. The "frightening" Death God is there as a bit of comic relief and occasional voice of wisdom: When hearing Light's plan's to get rid of the 'undesirables' in the world, he remarks, "So you'll be left with one high school kid with a bad attitude". There are some powerful images - a woman walking off toward a shadowy gallows indicating her fate comes quickly to mind. Light's devolution starts a lot sooner than the review might have you think. He starts by killing criminals, but it isn't long before he starts killing people he perceives as a threat to him or his plans, and the spiral grows from there. This is the sort of show where young kids probably wouldn't be bothered (but would be bored) since they won't understand it. Older kids can think things through and follow the plot. It's the ones in the middle that can use a bit of guidance. Mature tweens could handle it. Immature teenagers might not.
Adult Written byDeidara{Akatsuki} April 9, 2008

A good series, certainly...

I love this series, and I finished the manga pretty recently. It's a great series, but parents might want to be concerned. It's a great series, but there's quite a bit of murder, an ending that may make kids pretty surprised, which could be good or bad in this situation. I can recommend this to any teen over 13.
Adult Written bysenap July 5, 2015

Honestly amazing

I think this anime is just awesome, the characters are amazing, and the only thing scary are the Shinigami's faces and even then they aren't that scary. I've seen reviews saying that it gives out a bad message, but I've watched it and I don't really feel like going out and killing a bunch of criminals, and it doesn't even show gory scenes as far as I've seen so maybe you would watch this if you were 10+? Maybe that's just me though, but I've showed my little brother (who is 8 YO) a few scenes and he doesn't find it scary at all. I suppose it is your judgement though. Maybe you might want to look at a few teasers before you watch it. ;D <3
Adult Written bythe-divergent June 27, 2015

Wow

Okay, before I start, this series was amazing. It kept me interested and all the plot twists were executed perfectly. From episode 1 to the end, it was easy to tell how thought out every event was. But it is intense. The series revolves around Light, a young man (the series begins when he is a high school student and ends after he has graduated college and joined the work force) who finds a notebook which gives him the power to kill with only a name and a face. He does use the notebook for "good" by only killing criminals and those he justly deems unworthy of life (hence the famous quote "I am justice"). However he is still a serial killer, along with the killing he lies to his parents, lies to the police, uses a girl who obviously cares about him for his own benefit, hacks into a police computer, and overall goes to extreme measures to protect his secret. This makes him a terrible role model, and non of the other characters are much better. Along with having a horrible role model for a protagonist, the series has very dark and intense themes. Yes, it is a cartoon. No, it is not for kids. This series is for teens and adults only.
Adult Written byBig-Brother June 24, 2015

This is a show to watch with your teen and talk about.

Adult Written bynexca.. June 14, 2015

It is really not as bad as it seems

It definitely is not for really young kids, but for older kids, it makes for an interesting topic to discuss
Adult Written byCracked March 27, 2015

Don't let the "Iffy" fool you.

I don't know why the "What parent's need to know" shows Violence and Language on the same level. The language used isn't generally mature, just intelligent, and a bit... crazed... at times. The only curse word I can recall being used (in the actual show) was "Damn", used later in the show, and that's only a few times. In the second intro (which, unless you are watching the English Subtitled version, isn't very noticeable), the F-bomb is used. That being said, the Violence should be either a 3 or a 4, because a lot of people die, not in a particularly gore-y fashion, mind you. There are a few more negative messages you could get from the show, but watching it all the way through makes it more positive, though there is one confirmed suicide and another implied suicide, among a few other things. There really aren't any sexual references, and the clothes the females wear (except for Misa at times) aren't too skimpy, and the women aren't glorified for the men to like, in fact (and this is one of those things that sends a bad message), the main character Light doesn't really like any girl or boy throughout the show, but he does fake it from time to time, and he generally treats everyone except for his family (his dad is sometimes exempt) like they are tools to accomplish his goals, not people, women included. There is a small amount of drinking, I believe, as well as one character who is seen smoking for a few episodes. There is some slightly scary imagery, as well as some psychological mind games going on, but nothing that will scar your child for life or anything. I think 12+ would be fine, but you might think of waiting until 13, provided your child is allowed to watch more edgy stuff (and, let's face it, the majority of the kids at school do, too). Note: I rate it as a 5 star because I personally love the anime. That isn't to suggest I think it is "the best!" thing to show your hypothetical privileged and sheltered 12 year old.
Adult Written byParranormalHour November 15, 2014

Very Psychological

It's a massive mind game between Light(Kira) and the detectives trying to stop him. It can at times be hard to follow and it builds up a lot of suspense but in the long run it's a good anime. Just keep in mind that a young kid will probably be very confused about the more complex scenes that involve the main characters analyzing everything.
Adult Written byLynnabelle January 25, 2011

Good thinker, can be intense for young 'uns

Interesting plot, and it's fascinating to explore the logic and cunning that Light uses. I wish the end was more epic, but oh well...
Parent of a 3 and 14 year old Written byVAstuart22 December 10, 2010

I absolutly love this anime! Its very deep in thought. Watch it if you think you can handle it. It often touches on the subject on if you have the right to determine if a person lives or dies.