All parent member reviews for Dexter

Adult Written byagcardy June 6, 2011

Has Potential But Overall a Huge Disappointment

This show has potential. I am entering the field of psychology and find the overall plot fascinating, from that standpoint. The acting is ok. However, the excessive use of violence/gore and sexuality makes it unwatchable. My husband and I are in our mid-20's and stopped watching at the 3rd season because the gore and sex were so prevalent. I've heard it gets even worse as the seasons go on. People who say their teens or 11 year-olds can watch this are, in my opinion, insane. I would never subject anyone to this show, whether child, teen or adult. Pass.
Parent of a 17 year old Written by84664 April 27, 2011

ok for kids 11

note i would let my kids watch it but i would not let my kids repeat the language
Educator and Parent Written byProtectivemama74 June 22, 2014

Honestly

I read the reviews on here and felt like I should write a more truthful version from the perspective of a protective mama. There are more positive messages in this show than in most others I have seen, better than anything on Disney or any other children's program. Yes there are times when the show is graphic but if that bothers you when having a teen then maybe raising kids isn't for you. The show is great, the message is great, the plot is great, and anything that could be considered iffy is kept to a minimum, this show is great, I watch it with both my teens and they love it as well. If you are concerned about this influencing your kid in anyway then I as a mother say that you haven't done a good job raising them, if a tv show is influencing them. -signed Principal of high school Mother of three Psychology major Honest review writer And protective mama
Parent Written byobnoxiousm September 6, 2010

Definitely not for kids. Parents Beware! Great Grown-Up Watch, though.

Dexter is definitely not a kids show. It's a great story of a monster trying to be something beside a monster, engaging, thought provoking, even beautiful... but it's something that's too complicated, off-center, violent and unapologetic for kids. The only reasons I can see showing it to someone fifteen and up are these: either your very mature older teen has asked to see it and you think they're ready to tackle complete moral ambiguity on their own, or your very mature older teen has said horrible things about the mentally ill and you want to remind them that even the sickest monsters are people with feelings, too. Otherwise, keep the kids away!
Adult Written byover21andconcerned November 9, 2009

Not for children . . . PERIOD

Possibly appropriate for 18 and older, but parents, if your kids are younger than that DON'T LET THEM WATCH IT! The violence isn't the problem, although it is pretty graphic. It is the sex and language that is appalling for young teens. My opinion is that this is for adults only.
Parent Written bythephillips4 November 9, 2010

adults only

Parent of a 13 year old Written bydocpainter October 1, 2009

for certain adults only

This is simply an excellent series. Very macabre subject matter. Excellent writing. How else can you explain the curious empathy you develop towards this killer. Nothing any child should be watching. Michael C. Hall couldn't be more different from his character on SIx Feet Under.
Adult Written byelishap November 19, 2014

awesome show!

Great show but very bloody and sexual content is strong when it appears
Adult Written bysoymissk8 April 9, 2008

Too much!

I origionally liked this series. The ideas were interesting and I thought it entretaining. But on a second look all I could hear was profanity and I couldn't handle looking at the screen for fear of bloody and inappropriate shots. I had to turn it off. I don't think it appropriate for anyone!
Adult Written bymy mamie July 29, 2010

Adults YES..KIDS...NO ! Not rocket science

This show is aimed for adult enterainment. So if you are a parent who is an idiot and lets your kids/.kid sit and view this show the kids got more than one issue. Its all about being a parent who pays attention to what is being viewed by kids in the home. This is a very strange show, done well. Its unique ans thats what makes it work. Dexter is a good man/killer! HAHAHA.......But no kids don't watch this~
Adult Written byThatKrazyGuy March 29, 2010

A Killer Serial About a Serial Killer!

Dexter is rated TV-MA for graphic language, graphic sexuality/nudity, and strong violent images. *NOTE: Unlike the TV-MA dramas on FX, this show actually does contain graphic uncensored nudity and pervasive F-bombs.
Adult Written bytvgirl February 15, 2010

An Orignal and Disturbingly Entertaining Program.

Based on the first season of the program "Dexter" is an extremely original, entertaining but disturbingly morally wayward adult program on the Showtime network. Parents, this is not a program rated TV-MA just for the adult content (i.e.: f--k flies freely, deranged sexual content including nudity, and disturbingly glorified violence) but it is also rated "mature" because of the unsettling overtones in the series. This is not a show watched for the faint of heart. It is watched out of curiousity and once you're hooked on the storyline it doesn't let go. Watch if you like movies such as "Mr. Brooks" or shows such as "The Shield", but if not that then watch out because you're either in for a surprise in that you've found a new favorite show or one in which your stomach is turning over in disgust of the strange thematic elements that riddle this show like the blood drops that shower the crime scenes. I give this show a 5/5 star rating for its originality. AGES 17+ ONLY!
Adult Written byzeekattacklee February 2, 2015

Dexter review..

I will admit the show is a little bit interesting.. Otherwise, The show does have a lot of language and graphic content.. On that note, I wouldn’t recommend this to young children.. Other than that, a great show for mature teenagers and adults..
Adult Written bymagbens9 December 15, 2014

Exciting and Thrilling

The only people who should have problems with their kids watching this are the obnoxiously overprotective ones. Season 1 explains why Dexter is a serial killer and even then, he only goes after the people that he knows are bad. The show is incredibly interesting as it is told with narrations coming from Dexter himself.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez September 28, 2013

not for kids

this bloody drama show Dexter is a great show with a good story line script with good actors such as Michael c.hall as the serial killer and Jennifer carpenter who plays as the sister role to Dexter and other actors who have there roles but parents this drama show Dexter is not for kids it is only for adults and parents you need to know that Dexter has a lot of intense bloody violence such as when Dexter injects his serial killer victims with a dog tranquillizer so that they pass out and kidnapped's them then takes them to a quiet location to where he begins his act first he uses a scalpel to make a slight cut on the victims face and then takes there blood and puts it on his blood slide collection as a trophy and then Dexter chops up all of his victims and disposes of them in garbage bags then he dumps them in the Miami bay water several graphic shots of dead bodies that have been completely decapitated and dismembered Other violent acts include shouting, pushing, choking, and strangling Subjects touched on in the series include rape, pedophilia, domestic violence, and the twisted mind of serial killers also there are graphic sex and nudity shown on screen and characters used constant strong language and characters drink, smoke, and used drugs.
Parent Written byChooseNicely August 17, 2013

Dexter; Great show

The show is about a serial killer who kills awful people living in the Miami area and its beyond great. I don't see why everyone is quite so uptight about things on here but its ridiculous. Your kids are going to experience things in real life, why completely shelter them form interesting, smart and just plain good things? Dexter is a complicated well written show with good actors. Besides, your run of the mill superhero goes out, fights crime in the city he protects and has a secret identity. Dexter goes out and kills the bad guys and (obviously) keeps it all a secret as he works as a blood splatter expert for the Miami police department during the day. I swear, people on here remind me of the '50's the the worst way possible. Half the kids out there today are having s-x before they hit high school. Wake up, and let your kids experience GOOD things like this, things they can benefit from; Intellectual things.
Parent Written byKarine18 February 22, 2013

Hey!

It's quite weird to see that you put "not for kids" for Dexter and I'm also a bit suprised by the choices of the children or the parents because in France, due to the csa, Dexter can be watched by children of 10. Infact, I have noticed a real difference between america and France.
Adult Written bychristian2011 October 24, 2012

Phenomenal show. Adults only though. At least 18+

Dexter is probably the best show on Showtime because of the amazingly written plot, storyline and incredible acting, yet the show is rated a hard TV-MA for a definite reason. The violence that does happen is intense, brutal and bloody, with graphic images of corpses, dismembered body parts, and Dexter "punishing" his victims, whom are actually serial killers, by stabbing them in the chest, chopping off their limbs and throwing their mutilated body parts in the ocean. This makes him a serial killer who kills serial killers. There are common themes of murder, rape, pedophilia, self-mutilation, suicide, and bloodshed throughout the series, especially from the antagonists. Language is another big issue : frequent uses of f**k, motherf**ker, c**ksucker, c**t, religious profanities, racist terms, sh*t, and other vulgar/crude language which kids and teenagers should not learn at all. Sexual content is graphically displayed, with scenes of strong sexuality, nudity including breasts and buttocks, rape, sexual torture, and other strong acts. Drug use is common, which characters smoke, drink, and some use intravenous drugs (cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.) Dexter is a phenomenal show, but is driven ONLY for adults. When you watch it you'd understand. Hope this helps.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJenoi July 11, 2012

Likable Killer makes for Poor Role Model

This is a very engaging series for Adults only. Yes there is violence, sex, and profanity, but the reason it's not suitable for kids is that the Hero is a likable and even admirable Serial Killer. Not an appropriate role model for kids, even older ones.
Parent Written byRockOn75 January 11, 2012

Fascinating for Adults

I am a parent/teacher and honestly find this show completely enthralling, but would definitely advise parents to watch WITHOUT their children due to the violence, drug/alcohol usage, sexual content and offensive language. Mature adults and teens ONLY!