Teen, 15 years old Written byLord Voldemort July 21, 2009

Television at its best, but not for the youngins'.

Alright, so there are a lot of things in this show that aren't appropriate for little kids. Does that mean it's a bad show? Absolutely not. I am consistently astounded by the severe stupidity of people on this website that will give something one star because it was too violent. Don't watch it, then. It's as simple as that. With that being said, Dexter is probably one of the best serial dramas on television today. It's refreshing, funny, sickening, and exciting. I, for one, have always despised the ridiculously repititive crime dramas (a la Law and Order, CSI, Numb3rs, Criminal Minds), and at first I thought that I might be turned off by the similarities to these shows in Dexter, but I was quickly proven wrong. Even once you get past the little twist that this show has, it's still not your typical crime program. 'Nuff said. And it's on a premium channel, for goodness sake. If you watch it and are offended by its content, you should try out for the scarecrow part in the next possible production of "The Wizard of Oz."
Teen, 16 years old Written bymovieelover September 11, 2010

I love this show! i have been watching it since i was 12 and its amazing! Should be fine for mature teens.

Kid, 8 years old September 30, 2014

Inappropriate for kids under 7 years old

Sorry first grader but you can't watch this one. Wait till your kid hits second grade,
Teen, 13 years old Written byflyingv123 April 9, 2008

More than meets the eye

What people need to understand about this show is that it's intelligent. Dexter's murderous disposition is used to explore human nature, which is fascinating to me. I think and mature teen should be able to handle this.
Kid, 12 years old January 11, 2016

One of best tv shows ever.

Dexter is a tv draama series anonut a serial killer it is not as violent as you might think and Dexter killer only criminals.
Teen, 14 years old Written byslasher23 September 5, 2010
not for kids
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 December 28, 2009
It's on HBO, so expect tons of sex, violence and profanity. I've been watching it since it first aired. It's a very good show with great preformances. I think it is for the most part appropriate for ages 14 and up. The DVD is rated 14A in Canada.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybreakfastclubgirl3 July 11, 2013

Dexter Review

Dexter is a brilliantly written show. I would suggest 14 being the minimum age to watch this show. There is a lot of sex and nudity (in almost every episode), A LOT of profanity (Deborah Morgan uses f**k in almost every sentence), a lot of violence (every episode features Dexter killing a person and at a gruesome crime scene--with one or two exceptions), and there is a lot of drinking--and especially in the last season of Dexter (season 8) there is a lot of drug usage.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPLANTF00D September 30, 2012

Incredible show for mature audiences only

I consider myself a very mature teen, but some scenes,especially the death of Dexter's mother made me incredibly disturbed. This show is fantastic and Michael C. Hall does a wonderful job. The show however despite it's genius, is very graphic in the language, violence and sexual department. I have only seen the first season but what i was thankful for is that Dexter's kills where not extremely graphic. The Camera usually cuts away when Dexter takes out his target. Despite that fact, it is still incredibly violent,mainly due to the Antagonist's kill style where he dismembers his victims and places them in public areas. Other graphic scenes, and highly disturbing ones at that, include Dexter's mother's death and a hotel room with copious amounts of blood. The language on the show is incredibly coarse. The rough language mostly originates from Dexter's sister, Deb, and the Police Sergeant named Doakes. Sexual innuendo's are frequently used from Dexter's fellow crime analyst Masuka as well. The sex and nudity is not incredibly graphic all though breasts are common exposed and in one instance, Dexter's Girlfriend Rita is fully nude. Again, I am not how much more graphic the show gets through other seasons since I have only seen the first. while it is a great show, no child should watch this due to it's theme and graphic content.
Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2011

Amazing Show-- My favorite Drama show

Amazing show, I may be 12, but this show is great. Saying it's inappropriate for anybody under 18 is ridiculous. This show is for Mature people (Thus the TV-MA-L,S,V rating makes sense, with the Showtime Content Descriptors: AC = Adult Content, GL = Graphic Language, GV = Graphic Violence, and BN = Breif Nudity). I watch this on Netflix/ Showtime, and I'm not uncomfortable or anything. I'm hooked on the show, and I just can't get enough. And plus, He only kills people who deserve it. Can't wait for season 6!
Teen, 14 years old Written bysilv3rdream June 1, 2011

It's fine!

I love this show. As of a certain age, I'd say it's fine for kids. PG-13 for sure, though. A few curse words said usually by one character in particular, and a little bit of nudity. Not too much though. Give it a rest, guys! Yeah, he kills people, but only bad people. It's a very fun, exciting, and interesting show. I watch it all the time.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycootyqueen April 9, 2008

I LOVE this shpow

it is sooo interesting and every episode i cant wait till the next i love this show its sooo great and real and just amazing! its so great and i cant wait til this sunday to see it<3
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byShygalUSA123 July 25, 2013

TOO MUCH!!!!!

Too much sex I have seen this show with mom sometimes and every time I watch it there is always someone naked and having sex
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 July 2, 2012

Lots of disturbing images AND LANGUAGE IN INTENSE CRIME THRILLER

Some episodes of strong sexual content and nudity not for kids, as well as talk of drugs and dealing. Many episodes have loads of blood and dead bodies, some on screen killings which are graphic. The language is constant and strong. This show is not for kids, maybe older teens. Definaetly targeted toward mature audiences.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydicapriofreak94 October 19, 2010

Dexter is very good, a little too gory

So, this TV show is excellent! I love the story line and the acting, and everything about it. There is LOTS of violence in this though. Dexter is always killing people, and he chops them up (sometimes they show it) and puts them in bags, which is very disturbing. That is the only thing I don't like - It is a little too violent, I don't like terribly gross shows. There is lots of swearing (F word, S word and some others), and sexual content. Highly recommended for older teens/adults.
Teen, 17 years old Written byIrlJamie December 19, 2009

Great show that is the epitome of great acting. Fine for mature teens.

Listen, I'm 17 and I have been watching this show since it originally aired (it just finished it's fourth season) and I think that it is by far the best tv show I have ever seen! Now, it has copious amounts of violence, language, and nudity (which becomes more graphic as the seasons progress) and if you have children that you know aren't going to be influenced by the content, it is a fantastic show that has some of the best acting and story lines that I have ever seen. Also, the language, violence, etc. don't always seem that outrageous; the reason being that it fits the characters that use it. It's not as if a 12 year old girl is swearing at the top of her lungs- it's done by middle aged cops and detectives working for the Miami Metro Homicide division, so I would probably be appauled if they didn't use that type of language. Uh, let's see... the only other real concern parents might have is the fact that the show basically calls you to question your own sense of morals, in that you want to sympathize with a serial killer even though he is, after all, a killer. All-in-all, this show is fantastic and your kids probably see just about as much nudity & violence as they would in an average, high-budget horror movie, and the language that they most likely hear in their high school enviornment (I know I do). This show is perfectly appropriate for mature teens ages 15 and up, and make your own call on the "maturity" aspect.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymiamgod September 27, 2009
he should just arrest bad guys not kill them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byniki_vh February 23, 2017

BEST SHOW EVER!

I think this show is fine fore mature teens that don't mind a bit of blood. It's interesting because you know Dexter commits many bad crimes but you still side with him and it is intriguing to be in the mind of a serial killer.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLeah1235 January 1, 2017