Parent reviews for Doogie Kamealoha, M.D.

Doogie Kamealoha, M.D. Poster Image

Not as family friendly as I hoped

Over all it’s cute and entertaining and I love the Hawaii setting and diverse cast. But, there were two occasions that made me really cringe while watching with my 12 year old. Once in the 1st episode where she mentioned that it was awkward to see her best friend “frontal grind” her older brother at a dance. Second cringe worthy moment was while “Doogie” and her best friend were watching a hot guy come out of the water. She says she never wished she was a towel before and her best friend says, “I think I just got pregnant”. That’s when I decided it was not for us. I’m not sure who their intended audience is but I think they missed the mark by adding the not so subtle sexual language out of nowhere. Definitely not appropriate for 10+ year olds as this sight suggests.

3 people found this helpful.

Great show but not for kids because of sexual references!

My whole family loved this show but we have been caught off guard by sexual stuff and are going to have to stop watching it with our kids. I don’t think I want my girls looking up to a character that would otherwise be a great role model who points at her breasts before a date telling her friend “finally these puppies are gonna get some action!” Not something I want them thinking is normal for a 16 year old which is the characters age. Sad because it is so unnecessary to the story line.

2 people found this helpful.

Sex jokes in a show for girls… Why Disney??

Why Disney??? What a missed opportunity. Should have been great based on the proven concept. Even better as this time around it was a girl hero. All that changed when the writers decided to throw in sex jokes for our teen hero. While watching the lead hottie walk out of the surf - “I think I just got pregnant”. Really Disney?! Why? Totally unnecessary and inappropriate. Even for teens. So I immediately ended it for my 11 and 12 year old. I’d love to meet the writers who think it necessary to put lighthearted attitudes and jokes about sex in a what should otherwise be a potentially empowering show for girls. Maybe it would be an interesting storyline if the young prodigy MD “got pregnant”. #smh ps that’s not the only awkward, completely baffling sex reference. Just the one I heard. Others here have noted other head scratching moments.

Best show

I have LOVED it! I watch it with my mom and she also loves it. I hope that it will have another season. I think it is good for kids to watch because it teaches them about life lessons

Family Fun and Relevant

My daughter and I enjoy watching this and the topics they bring up about relationship. I have an older daughter too so when some of the mature, older teen, topics are bought up we take time to talk about it. It’s also fun that it’s in Hawaii with beautiful ocean and beach moments.