Parent reviews for Eureka

Eureka Poster Image

Skip the first episode and it’s great

Have watched the series, the first episode Is not like the rest of the show. I suggest watching the first episode without kids, tell them the important information about the plot of the show, then watch the rest with your kid. I feel it compares well to once upon a time, I could usually sense when something might be getting a bit too intense and screen the next episode before showing it to my son. A ton of the episodes are appropriate and fun for kids under 10, just screen it first

Warning...

Has sinister murder in Ep 1. Ep 7 shows mutilated human body. Stopped watching at that point.

it's hip to be smart!

a city of geniuses and their genius offspring has its share of near mishaps; some complicated family relationships; goofy humor; a bit formulaic after a while, but the award-winning special effects are pretty amazing.

I'd rather my teens watch this than many similar shows.

The father-daughter portrayal in this series is far more positive than how parents are portrayed in most teen series. The father is clearly an authority figure, and his daughter, for the most part, respects him. Even adult sex is played down and what's shown on screen is pretty clean compared to what I've seen on a lot of other shows. I really like this series, and I would feel much happier about watching it with my kids than, for example, My So-called Life, or Kyle XY.

Not a science lesson, but also not a waste of time

It's a decent, turn-off-your-brain entertainment for young adults and their families. The only thing that keeps it from being a good-for-all-ages show is its propensity for sexual innuendo. It's unnecessary to have it in the show, but almost every episode has some allusion or other to sex. Some may call me a prude, but I don't think that children NEED to have sex thrown in their face every time they turn on the television; especially when it is between unmarried people. On the UP side, the show does discuss a variety of REAL scientific theories, discoveries, and concepts. Don't expect that you'll get SMARTER by watching Eureka, but at least you won't regret wasting an hour of your life watching it.

Choose a few scenes, but save the show for when they're older

There are some great nuggets in this show, but it's not for kids. The sexy stuff is my biggest concern. I do, however, occasionally choose a scene for my eight year old. The show incorporates some real science, extrapolating to fiction in interesting ways.

Something mature tweens can share with mom and dad

I have been looking for something that will hold my interest and appeal to my 11-year-old daughter. Yes, there is some language, the teenaged daughter can be mouthy and there is some innuendo (which goes over my daughter's head, thank goodness!) but it's a small price to pay for the message that science geeks are cool, strict dads are loving and courage is admired. The relationships among the characters are multi-dimensional,which is a refreshing change. We also love the plot twists and mystery to figure out every episode. I would never let her watch this alone, but for family fare, we both give it two thumbs WAY up!

not for my family but maybe for others

i hate eureka, it appalled me the first episode i tried to watch with the family and it showed a chick on the bed wearing black almost see through bra and underwear and i said "CLICK" and turned it off. that is not something i want to see being a woman let along my kids to see it..

Mostly positive. Check individual episode ratings.

I'd rate this ON for kids younger than 14 because when you look at the entire series--not just an individual episode--it's mostly a great show appropriate for younger kids. I have screened some episodes and not let my daughter watch one or two but they are the minority. Overall the show is inventive, smart and funny. Science is spotlighted. The "difficult" child turns out to very responsible and smarter than she realized. When things go wrong it's dealt with responsibly. The person who solves many of the town's problems is not the smartest person in town but he's got common sense. The few issues I don't like aren't common enough or bad enough for me to feel that I should stop my 11 year old from watching it.