Parent reviews for Falling Skies

Falling Skies Poster Image

Great Show.

This was one of my favorite shows that I've ever watched, and though there is a little violence, I'd say that it's appropriate for almost anyone.

Powerful drama

Quality: Aliens aside, Falling Skies delivers striking believability. Despite occasional glaring goofs, both writing and acting generally convey the real human drama that is the true center of this epic. Will Patton seems larger than life, and Noah Wyle is at once super-dad and American hero; yet both are remarkably endearing. Action violence is pervasive, and unquestionably too intense for younger audiences; but it is primarily targeted toward non-human alien characters. Violence or gore involving human characters is not overly gratuitous and would compare favorably to any modern medical drama. The show's creators seem to understand that going for the cheap "shock value", which pervades many shows of this nature, would drown out the emotional drama surrounding the characters themselves. That said, death is not shied away from, nor are children spared from the horrors of their world. Content: Sex content is rare and generally mild, though innuendo in the dialogue is more common. Language may be too strong for some; "s---", "a--", and similar are quite frequent but stay comfortably within the "TV-14" rating. Family unity, parent-child relationships, liberty, patriotism, hope, and unyielding determination are driving themes of the show, which frequently references and draws comparisons to the American Revolution. Drugs and drug addiction are mentioned in an appropriately dramatic context, however drinking and smoking are significant and are generally taken for granted. NOTE: So far my wife and I have made it most of the way through the third season, so I can't vouch for seasons 4-5.

Great show, but has some drinking/smoking.

I echo many of the other comments. It's a well-made show that has family and it's importance as a central theme amidst all the battles. I am writing primarily to let those who care know that the main review's omission of the drinking symbol is an error. The main characters often have a glass of wine or scotch to relax after a hard day, and several of the fighters are repeatedly depicted smoking. This is not a focus of the show by any means, but it is certainly a recurring component.

falling skies