Parent reviews for Family Guy

Contrary to its title, this isn't a family show.

Adult Written byheretohelp May 1, 2012

Let children watch!

When I first saw my son watching this show I was concerned. I sat down an watched the show with him, just to check it out. I do recommend this show for people who like comedy. And it is safe for children, as long as you let them know not to follow the shows actions or laguage.

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010

Absolutely not for kids, are you kidding me???

There is absolutely no reason a child should be viewing this show. Kids younger than 15 should not even know what this show is about. This show is iffy for ages 16-17. This show is CRUDE, sometimes DISGUSTING. If you are a parent, please don't show your kid this show. There is absolutely no reason for this show to be seen by children. I am somewhat shocked to see that any children have reviewed this show. I do think it's a funny show for adults, but I would think poorly of a parent telling me that they are in favor of letting their kid (pretty much at any age under 17-ish) watch this show. And I am a pretty live and let live person. This show is just too over the top. The role models lie. Rampant sexuality. Continuous drinking, drug and pedophile references. Rape is made a joke of, as is the treatment of women as objects. As an adult, you laugh at its absurdity, but for kids, what kind of messages are you teaching them? Remember, they're sponges.

Adult Written byCjmle October 12, 2014

Good show with over the top humor

This show should be suitable for kids 11 and older the bad things in it are language sexual content and violence drinking is a main theme in almost every episode and if your kids want to watch it watch with them and talk about what is bad and what isn't

Parent of a 6, 10, and 13-year-old Written byLifeiscool5 September 28, 2009

This Show Is Very Funny!

I DVR Family Guy All The Time And My Kids Love It And So Do I.
Parent of an infant and 7-year-old Written bySteffauri516 September 3, 2010

A Hit and Miss program

Family Guy is a good show, mainly for teens and young adults. It's raunchy potty humor and random hilarity keep young teens interested but there are some very mature subtle subjects that get dropped into the program. While some of the episodes end with a good message or moral-lesson, for the most part they are all the same in their crude humor and lesson-less programming. This show is on for kids age 13 and older.

Adult Written byPriseygirl33 April 9, 2008

Cute, and funny sitcom is ok for kids ages 11 and up!

OK. So im a stay at home mom, and i love watching this show with my 11 year old son, and my 14 year old daughter. This show may have some "crude content" in it, but it usualy has a positive message. Some people tell me "are you nuts..you shouldnt let your kids watch that show!" but parents realy need to loosen up and be flexible about what your kids want to watch. This show is funny!
Parent of a 12-year-old Written byThe Cool Mom February 17, 2010
The latest episode mocking the Down's syndrome girl as a daughter of Sarah Palin - broke the camel's back. I have had enough.
Obviously we have a writer who hates Sarah Palin so much that he is willing to attack people with Down's Syndrome just to take a swipe at Sarah Palin. This is childish. This is foolish.
I didn't tune in to see your political views. I certainly don;t think it is appropriate for you to mock people with disabilities as though it is "cool" to you target demographic of 14-18 year olds.
So much for tolerance.
I will no longer allow this show in my home. If I am somewhere else where this show is on I will loudly speak against it. I will no longer buy merchandise associated with this show.
How dare you! Where is the approval process for the writers which allowed this to air?

It's not funny - it's tastleless.

I have had enough.

Adult Written byAidanS 1 July 25, 2015

Not sugar coated

All I need to tell you is it show good messages for kids if they don't listen to us who will they listen too TV there are episodes where a character does shrooms and freaky scary stuff happened and it show the effects really makes you not even want to think about it and there's another episode where the high schoolers are licking toads and the dad pretends to be a popular high schooler so they stop doing it

Adult Written byhomer2 April 9, 2008

i laughed

this is maybe the funniest show on television.
Adult Written byHailo C. May 31, 2020

Family Guy review

This review is in regards to the uncut DVD versions.

Violence (4/5): Frequent moments of blood and gore. Throw-ups and war violence infrequent.

Sexual Content (4/5): Quagmire is basically like Harvey Weinstein. Sex scenes infrequent.

Profanity (4/5): Contrary to popular belief, Family Guy has no worse profanity than The Simpsons. Like its rival, it does contain frequent uses of h—l, d—n, a—, d—k, b——h, s—t, f—k, and less often the words n——r, f——t, c—k, and c—t. It also contains slang words like balls, butt, boobs, bastard, and crap.

Consumerism (3/5): Parodies of big name brands.

Drinking, Drugs, & Smoking (5/5): Very frequent. Peter and Quagmire get very drunk.

Suggested MPAA Rating: R for bloody violence, frequent strong language, some sexual content, and drug use.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bydocpainter October 1, 2009

mixed feelings

Have mixed feelings about this show. It's completely irreverent but often quite funny, especially the wicked baby, Stewie, but I wince at some of the jokes, especially about females. My 13 year old son loves it. We watch it together so at least he knows my take on it.

Adult Written bytvgirl June 30, 2009

Seth MacFarlane's Humor is One of a Kind in "Family Guy"

This show is R-rated comedy for prime time. It is a good show for teenagers and adults to laugh at. It has a lot of one-liner humor, situational humor, and shock value humor. Episodes have parodied political situations, other media, religious beliefs, everyday situations (such as meeting your in-laws), and even their own broadcasting station FOX. This is NOT a show for kids and is intended for older teens and adults, this has even been confirmed by the show's writing staff. It is funny, unpredictable, and on it's way to become the next "The Simpsons". Bottom line: The show is usually rated TV-14 DLSV. Ages 16+. 5/5 stars. Enjoy.

Adult Written byLuridHope November 18, 2008

Bonfire of the Humanities

You don't have to be religious nut or even particularly moral to identify Family guy as an ethical train wreck. This show is loathsome towards woman, and finds humor in making a mockery of sexual violation and wanton murder. I don't know how this one flew under the radar here at common sense.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

I laughed so hard

family guy is a show that makes fun of everything you can think of of like democrats and republicans, actors, and directors. every episode i laugh so hard i cry. although it has some explict material such as prostotutes and strip clubs it is hillarios. my favorite character is stewie the 1 year old. he is bent on world domination and killing his mother for bringing him into the world. he has lasers and guns that he makes and interrogates his stuffed animals. he is also can't help himself since he is a baby, whenever peter the dad plays peek-a-boo when he covers his eyes stewie freaks out not knowing where peter went. this show also does say the "a" and "S" word frequently and peter has a sex hungery pervert neighbor named quagmire who always tries to suduct lois peter's wife.
Adult Written byaecdoglover April 9, 2008

FUNNY!

Nearly every kid at my middle school watch this show. It is literally laugh-out-loud funny. However it is not for young kids. I would say that a mature 12 year old should be allowed to watch it.
Adult Written byCommonsense_parent November 20, 2019

NOT FOR KIDS. Not how it "used" to be. Used to be 14A, now tv-MA.

I personally LOVE family guy. I've probably watched every episode like 10 times... But I'm so sick of my 10 year old saying that all of his friends watch it. It's not for kids! Parents need to wake the heck up!The earlier seasons weren't appropriate (however they weren't THAT bad),
but now (in the past 5-8 yrs) it has gone from a 14+ rating to tv MA (mature)... And for good reason. They actually swear now (not beeped out). If you read the past reviews on this show, they're all like ten years old, the show has changed dramatically.. The amount of sexual references is insane and extremely vulgar... I don't know why parents would let their ten year olds know about, blow jobs and p*ssy eating (and there's a lot more than that!).. even Stewie, the baby, has sex. Like, if you sat there and watch a couple episodes of the newer season with them, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't let them watch it anymore. I had a family friend do that, and he was shocked and embarrassed that he let his kid watch it... But he just assumed "because it's a cartoon it's fine". Nope... Just watch it a couple times, and you'll quickly see, not for kids. Other than that, it's fine for an older teen... I'd say 15-16+, as by that age, I'm sure most kids have heard a lot of the stuff said in the show.

Adult Written byTryingtoHelp February 26, 2011

Funny show for people 12 and up.

I started watching this show when I was 8 (ignore my name, that is a joke), but I do NOT recommend children under 12 should watch it. The show contains occasional graphic violence such as people's heads exploding and being shot with a lot of blood, a lot of sexual content including frequent sexual references and jokes, strong language (however the worst words like the S and F words are always bleeped), along with uses of meth, crack, cocaine, and marijuana. The show also features terrible messages not to be taken seriously like converting people to atheism and condoning marijuana use. The characters are also terrible role models, and almost every character does something terrible whether it is killing, drug use, drinking, perversity or more. Overall, the show can't be taken seriously, but it is not a show for children under the age of 12.

Adult Written byLov333 May 24, 2021

Early Seasons Okay for 12+, Anything after season 10 is 14+

Let's start with this, I'm guessing all the ratings saying 17+ are people who watched the uncut later seasons. If your kid wants to watch this show, just know the first 9-10 seasons aren't any worse than shows like The Office and Friends, after that it gets more on the TV-MA side, and not only are the later seasons more inappropriate but their too political and lower quality, so your kid won't even want to watch them. Now let's talk about the early seasons, the early seasons are still crude (Worse than The Simpsons but far cleaner than South Park). They have TV-14 language (Bitch, ass, damn), mild drinking, slapstick violence and implied sex and sexual dialogue, a few of the jokes are pretty crude but they'll fly over any kids over 12's head. They're nothing worse than The Office or Arrested Development jokes and for that matter come off even less explicit just because it's cartoon. So yeah the first 9 seasons are pretty good and funny and kids will enjoy it.

Adult Written byCash C. October 26, 2019

Adults for sure

DVD Version: language includes f*ck, c*nt, s*it, ass, bitch, quer, boner, dick, pissed, damn, what the hell, crap, boobs, fatass, etc. A hyper sexual character does it with women ALL THE TIME,Uncencored Nudity, etc. Characters drink beer, wine, whisky, vodka, etc. Characters (Specifically Bryan the dog) does crack in one episode. Blood, murder, etc. Is shown a lot.

Adult Written byDewey Ryder August 2, 2019

I've had enough of this show.

This show is just sad. Sad that it's still so popular among America's youth. I remember watching this when i was younger and actually thinking it was funny. Now I watch it and I think, man, this show is actually pretty immature and stupid. Now I can see right through Seth's retarded humor. At least shows like South Park and The Simpsons are actually clever and creative, but this isn't. This is just absolute garbage. There's no thought put into the writing or humor whatsoever, it's just Peter or Brian or Stewie or Quagmire doing something random or stupid. No wonder this is so popular among so many immature, simple-minded middle schoolers and high schoolers. This show is a disgrace to television and it must be put down.