All parent member reviews for Family Guy

Parent of an infant and 7 year old Written bySteffauri516 September 3, 2010

A Hit and Miss program

Family Guy is a good show, mainly for teens and young adults. It's raunchy potty humor and random hilarity keep young teens interested but there are some very mature subtle subjects that get dropped into the program. While some of the episodes end with a good message or moral-lesson, for the most part they are all the same in their crude humor and lesson-less programming. This show is on for kids age 13 and older.
Parent Written byheretohelp May 1, 2012

Let children watch!

When I first saw my son watching this show I was concerned. I sat down an watched the show with him, just to check it out. I do recommend this show for people who like comedy. And it is safe for children, as long as you let them know not to follow the shows actions or laguage.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010

Absolutely not for kids, are you kidding me???

There is absolutely no reason a child should be viewing this show. Kids younger than 15 should not even know what this show is about. This show is iffy for ages 16-17. This show is CRUDE, sometimes DISGUSTING. If you are a parent, please don't show your kid this show. There is absolutely no reason for this show to be seen by children. I am somewhat shocked to see that any children have reviewed this show. I do think it's a funny show for adults, but I would think poorly of a parent telling me that they are in favor of letting their kid (pretty much at any age under 17-ish) watch this show. And I am a pretty live and let live person. This show is just too over the top. The role models lie. Rampant sexuality. Continuous drinking, drug and pedophile references. Rape is made a joke of, as is the treatment of women as objects. As an adult, you laugh at its absurdity, but for kids, what kind of messages are you teaching them? Remember, they're sponges.
Adult Written byimconcernedblah... February 26, 2009

ITS MAURE, ITS INCONSISTENT, ITS LEWD yet...

I love it!!!!!!! Brilliant without sacrificing slapstick.
Adult Written byLuridHope November 18, 2008

Bonfire of the Humanities

You don't have to be religious nut or even particularly moral to identify Family guy as an ethical train wreck. This show is loathsome towards woman, and finds humor in making a mockery of sexual violation and wanton murder. I don't know how this one flew under the radar here at common sense.
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byMimi37 November 3, 2011

Life is too short for watching something like this

It's incredibly misogynist. It's a lot of other things too, but the frequent jokes about rape and the running joke about how fat/stupid/ugly/worthless the whole family openly thinks the daughter is are what I object to the most. (Example: in one episode where the family home is being burglarized, a running joke is that the daughter is too ugly for the burglars to rape.) The show's creators and fans argue that they make fun of everybody equally and the whole point is that it's so un-PC, and if you're offended you just aren't getting it. No, I get what they're doing -- I just find it repellent.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byThe Cool Mom February 17, 2010
The latest episode mocking the Down's syndrome girl as a daughter of Sarah Palin - broke the camel's back. I have had enough. Obviously we have a writer who hates Sarah Palin so much that he is willing to attack people with Down's Syndrome just to take a swipe at Sarah Palin. This is childish. This is foolish. I didn't tune in to see your political views. I certainly don;t think it is appropriate for you to mock people with disabilities as though it is "cool" to you target demographic of 14-18 year olds. So much for tolerance. I will no longer allow this show in my home. If I am somewhere else where this show is on I will loudly speak against it. I will no longer buy merchandise associated with this show. How dare you! Where is the approval process for the writers which allowed this to air? It's not funny - it's tastleless. I have had enough.
Parent of a 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, and 16 year old Written bymeatw February 9, 2015

good

I have 3 boy kids and 3 girl kids and they like this show vary much I let them wacth it there only age 10 11 12 13 and 14
Parent Written bymelanin April 17, 2012

Not for either party

This show is a very Un-godly show. I believe it should be taken off the air!
Parent of a 13 year old Written bywehrj March 18, 2009

Think

People have to realize that these are made up characters. They aren’t real people or are suppose to be real people. It's a cartoon. If any thing, "normal life" would be the opposite of what Stef is trying to entertain us with. I think Family Guy is fine for my 13 yr. son as long as I give him parental guidance. I think it is a very educational and funny show as long as you look beyond the apparent facade.
Adult Written bybarneyhater November 30, 2014

FUNNY PETER RUL;ES

PETERS FUNNY
Adult Written byCjmle October 12, 2014

Good show with over the top humor

This show should be suitable for kids 11 and older the bad things in it are language sexual content and violence drinking is a main theme in almost every episode and if your kids want to watch it watch with them and talk about what is bad and what isn't
Adult Written bybaba 1 April 30, 2012

Famil Guy is not for kids

I think it's a rubbish show, not for kids, contains lots of blood and gore, parents, make sure your kids don't watch this rude show, they may get serious nightmares.
Adult Written byTryingtoHelp February 26, 2011

Funny show for people 12 and up.

I started watching this show when I was 8 (ignore my name, that is a joke), but I do NOT recommend children under 12 should watch it. The show contains occasional graphic violence such as people's heads exploding and being shot with a lot of blood, a lot of sexual content including frequent sexual references and jokes, strong language (however the worst words like the S and F words are always bleeped), along with uses of meth, crack, cocaine, and marijuana. The show also features terrible messages not to be taken seriously like converting people to atheism and condoning marijuana use. The characters are also terrible role models, and almost every character does something terrible whether it is killing, drug use, drinking, perversity or more. Overall, the show can't be taken seriously, but it is not a show for children under the age of 12.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 11, 11, 12, 13, 13, 14, 15, 15, 15, 16, 17, and 18+ year old Written bynicoleandmeatwadss February 9, 2015

good

in my opinion is that I think this show should be for 6+ all parents have opinions its fine just my opinion my kids are age 5 newborn and 2 and I think that if your 5 or younger you should be with a parent
Adult Written byCourier6 November 3, 2014

Boring, unlikeable characters, no humour whatsoever.

Every show, movie, etc. has one character that you genuinely dislike. This character is usually referred to as the antagonist. When the protagonist is unlikable, things start to fall apart for the audience, as we naturally want unlikable characters to get their comeuppance in the end, but aside from a few movies (Scarface), protagonists never do. When there are multiple protagonists, all of whom are incredibly unlikable, its nearly unbearable. Only two shows have pulled this off successfully. Beavis and butt-head, and South Park. There are two reasons for this. 1. The jokes are funny, so we focus less on the characters, and 2. The characters rarely succeed, and we can laugh at them and feel a sense of catharsis. In this show, not only are the jokes horrible, but the awful characters never get any sort of comeuppance and the few tolerable characters are always cheated in the end. Take the character Brian for example. He is selfish, rude, narcissistic, and even a bit sexist at some points. Its gotten so bad, that while watching the episode where he got ran over with friends, many of them actually cheered. Did I mention he's a dog? Seth Mcfarlane managed to make a DOG so unlikable that people enjoyed watching him be hit by a car. In the next episode or so, he is right as rain, never having learned any sort of lesson or changed in the slightest. Also, having watched McFarlane's other stuff, I worry that he is actually like this in real life. If you absolutely MUST watch this, there's not that much swearing or violence at all. Just don't be surprised if your kids turn into intolerable jerks after watching a few episodes.
Parent Written byAidanS 1 July 25, 2015

Not sugar coated

All I need to tell you is it show good messages for kids if they don't listen to us who will they listen too TV there are episodes where a character does shrooms and freaky scary stuff happened and it show the effects really makes you not even want to think about it and there's another episode where the high schoolers are licking toads and the dad pretends to be a popular high schooler so they stop doing it
Adult Written bydumbhead89 April 5, 2012

not for kids at all

it should me tv-ma i dont see how it flies with tv-14's
Educator Written byshashabel9 July 6, 2011

THIS IS BAD

My kids watched it I turned it off. My kids just like cartoons.
Adult Written byBballbeast8 February 1, 2011

Innaproprite

It's a great show hilarious but very innaproprite