Kid reviews for Family Reunion

Heartwarming but uneven sitcom about family relationships.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHe11o September 1, 2020

Great!

It's a really funny show and I love that Netflix is making their shows more and more inclusive. I like how it also shows injustices in the world such as racist cops (In episode 10, Shaka and Mazzi start to mow lawns to raise money for a new playstation, but when they try to get inside their own house, a cop handcuffs them and accuses them of breaking into and robbing houses, later the same cop pulls over the parents of the boys, despite them doing nothing and angrily complains to them about how their file of complaint got him suspended for two days without pay) and gender inequality (Jade and her friends get detention and suspended by their school principal who was in the military for violating the strict dress code. In detention, they realize that it's only the girls who are getting punished because of the dress code while the boys are excused. This leads to Jade starting a protest and her family joining in. Then the principal finally changes the dress code) It also talks about black history. I saw some people saying that in episode 4, Christianity was compared to other religions and how they didn't like that. I completely disagree, I think its amazing how Christianity isn't the only religion they talk about in the show because sometimes other religions are overlooked. When you talk about monotheistic religions, some people automatically assume that you're a Christian. I rated the show 10+ because Moz and Coco do get a little sexual at times, but it's nothing too explicit or serious.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLil Victori September 6, 2019

Amazing

This show was really good!!! As a 13 year old girl I’m constantly on Netflix trying to find shows and I love that this one is so diverse. It’s amazing how it tells about things that happened to actual people and things that still happen today like racism. I think it’s okay for kids 9 and up because like especially if you’re in an African American family that’s when you most likely start learning about it anyways. It tells a bit about black history with little cuss words and not much violence so it should be fine for most kids.

Kid, 12 years old March 16, 2020

Positive messages and family fun galore in Netflix Original series

Family Reunion is a Netflix Original series about a family who goes down to the South to stay with their grandparents. Each episode has a different message, such as protesting against unfair laws, gender equality, and more! Not only is it chock-full of positive messages, it's also funny, and age-appropriate for older kids and tweens. There are some sexual innuendos, the worst of which among Cocoa and Moz (the parents), but nothing too explicit. Overall, Family Reunion is a great family watch-together, and a great show for your kid to watch independently. Highly recommend!

Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2020

This is awesome

Why are people saying there is sex and violence this show is perfectly appropriate anybody should be able to watch it if they have parental guidance by once you’re about 9 you can watch it yourself it’s a great show

Kid, 9 years old September 23, 2019

CRAZY FUNNY AND REALLY BINGE WORTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this show is generally good. SOME i repeat SOME not all white people are racist to black people and they do point this out.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRatings4U September 17, 2020

Funny and simple story has mild language and innuendo.

3/5 stars
Age 9+
Violence- 2/5 A girl is whipped with a belt(implied but not shown). Racist police officers point guns at children, no shots fired.
Language- 1/5 Minor language includes damn, hell.
Sex- 1/5 Some innuendo, kissing, and talk of being pregnant.
Drugs- 0/5 Not present.

Kid, 10 years old August 17, 2020

Amazing show but edgy.

Well, to start off it's very funny! Watching the first episode it feels like a very amazing lovable story, but as it goes on in the second episode there is cursing, some episodes include the d-word and a-word but not frequent. It shows equality in race and gender! It's very good for kids 10 and up to enjoy with their parents and you will laugh a lot. No violence besides them doing slap-stick comedy which is hilarious there is some flirting with the older daughter and some boys and some kisses but mostly with the parents. One episode they go out to a restaurant and they drink some wine, and in others theres some wine but not much. I hope this helped you on wether or not you should watch!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMeepwins August 14, 2020
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheTeen14 August 8, 2020

Family Reunion is a very funny Netflix sitcom. It does have crude humor and mild language

This show has a lot of super funny scenes. Me and my younger brother watch it together. We enjoy the show a lot, but it does have some things not to copy - like the family and some characters say twerking is fine. You do see the dad and the mom in this show shake their butts and some other characters also do it (it's mild) nothing super inappropriate, but not good either. They also had one scene brief having a sexual joke (nothing too bad or really inappropriate though). Also some of the characters say they believe in God, but they do say God's name in vain (it's mild overall). This is a very funny sitcom that's funny, has good messages about loving who you are, and that it does matter what skin color you have. Overall this show is another great sitcom.

Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2020

Wonderful TV series

I really like this show because it introduces the topic of racism, as well as sexism. Jade is headstrong, and always recognizes when a situation isn't just. For instance, in one episode she organizes a rally about the school's dress-code.
The family supports each other through all dilemmas that are encountered throughout the show. The main message is definitely that family is most important. M'dear often recounts or makes reference to stories of their family's past, a good introduction to how African Americans have been discriminated against throughout history.
Moz and Coco love each other, which is quite evident. They do their best to support their kids and each other. M'dear and the kid's grampa care a lot about their grandchildren and children, and do their best to keep everyone's best-interest in-mind.
Throughout the show series it demonstrates an underlying positive message. Jade is a great role model for the most part. Coco and Moz will tease and flirt with one another, but all with good humor. And Jade will flirt briefly with some boys from school. Swears or other language is seldom used. Money is certainly not an overriding factor. Though, occasional references to Gucci are made, and later on in the series Moz and Coco experience bankruptcy. References to a "maintaining a certain life-style" are made at one point.
There isn't any drinking.
A really great family sit-com for ages 10+!

Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2020

Excellent show

I watched this show with my parents it is a great show. it shows great messages. Even talks about African American culture. It also talks about how black people are treated very unfairly. great show to watch, very positive role models.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHello221 May 9, 2020

Not meant for kids to watch alone

This is a great show to watch with the family. Just don’t let kids see it by themselves .

Also, racist agains white people, makes kids feel conscious of skin color, and gender.

Kid, 11 years old April 28, 2020

Positive!

There is one episode about girls fighting against a dress code and another where you learn about their family history. Very good, entertaining show, can be a bit scary and mature.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRayMay3000 April 23, 2020

Very Positive

This show is really positive and includes all types of positive messages about girl power and African Americans. There is some racism but it always turns out good in the end. It is both funny and inspiring, and I recommend it for people of all ages, especially girls.

Kid, 10 years old March 23, 2020

TV-PG

It May Be Kind Of Boring For Some People But I Love It
Kid, 10 years old March 1, 2020

My Favourite Series

A cute show about a family who lives in the city of Seattle and they move to the countryside in Georgia with their grandparents. The show is them adjusting and learning about their families past with their grandma, M'dear.
The show has a bit of racism (a white policeman tries to arrest Shaka, Mazzi and Elvis just because they are black)
The family from Georgia is very religious so if you have children who aren't Christian they might have a few questions like I did.
I think you'll enjoy it!

Teen, 13 years old Written byCGNinja35 February 22, 2020

Great Show! One Iffy Episode

This is a great show on Netflix for all ages to enjoy. It has a lot of wholesome messages about a family that stays united. However, there is one episode in which some cops pull out pistols on a group of ten year olds. This might come as a surprise to some viewers and do not show this part to any young kids who get scared easily. Otherwise, a great show.

Kid, 7 years old February 8, 2020

Funny

Funny show but if you are under 8 or 9 you might not understand it. I really like it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBadBoy134 February 6, 2020

Tooo many sex jokes

You know this show is nice but the message its trying to deliver plus dirty jokes just clash. Im disappointed in Netflix for rating this 7+. Very misleading.

Kid, 11 years old February 5, 2020