All teen and kid member reviews for Firefly

Teen, 13 years old Written byDecalis April 9, 2008

This is the most amazing TV show I've ever seen, or probably ever will see.

This is a portion of the height of science fiction, comparable to Star Wars. Star Wars is an epic and a classic, but there's a lot of black and white. Firefly is done in shades of gray. The primary example of this is that the main characters would be considered crooks by anybody who didn't know them well. They rob, steal, and, more often than not, kill, though not in the sense of murder, more in self-defense. But what it simmers down to is the fact that they're all "just folk", ordinary people trying to get by. There's shooting, stabbing, smashing, exploding, and torture. There's sex, booze, and foul language. But the thing is, none of it is gratuitous, it's all in context. There are powerful moral lessons in it, and it is something everybody should watch, though probably when they're at least 12, because a lot of the jokes don't make sense until you hit puberty... :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA June 9, 2010

Brilliant show prematurely ended.

It's absolutely incredible that this show made us care about the characters after only 14 episodes in a way most shows never accomplish over the course of 4+ seasons. Incredible, yes, but also terribly sad for fans of the show. Fox prematurely aired the episodes out of order, and then canceled it mid season. The combination of characters, unique writing/story and music score is mostly unrivaled. Recommended to all sci-fi and western fans.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShane Craig February 15, 2014

WHAT WAS FOX THINKING??

This is one of the best TV shows I have ever watched. Each episode was riveting, exciting and really enjoyable. I wish there was another season! It was just that good that I watched the entire thing in 2 days!!! What is really weird is there lots of crap on the air that just keeps getting renewed for more seasons. Yet this was easily the best NEW show of the 2002-2003 season and it was cancelled after just 14 episodes and it certainly is mind boggling. I just wish there was more episodes. Also, Fox aired them out of order! If you have not watched Firefly, you NEED to. After the first episode you will be hooked. For content: Watch out for some sex scenes. One of the main characters aboard Serenity is a prostitute. There is some space violence. No problems with language or drinking. But this is the best space western there is. This will definitely be high on my list of favorite TV shows!
Teen, 17 years old Written bySeth S. March 8, 2014

Joss's very best:

It has its flaws. Not really a family friendly show. But my gosh, if it isn't a freight train of amazing content! Highly recommended. 10/10
Teen, 15 years old Written byColaProduct December 26, 2011

Why Must the Good Shows be Cancelled Young?

How does one describe Firefly? It was easily one of the best shows to ever grace television, yet it managed to be cancelled after one season. The story is original,but what's truly amazing about it is the character development (mainly in River Tam) and characters themselves. They're not saints. They, as Wash puts it, "rob from the rich and sell to the poor" but ultimately make the right decisions. The crew's loyalty to each other (particularly Simon to River) grows stronger as the show progresses. There's humor, romance, action, and a slight mystery concerning River. My strongest objection would be the sexuality, which, while viewing via youtube, I found easy enough to skip over. Inara is a "Companion" which is a fancy word for a prostitute. It's handled extremely well and plays only a minor part in the episodes. Overall, it's an amazing show that ended much too early. (Also, don't forget to check out Serenity, the movie that wraps up a few of the show's loose ends)
Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2013

Really good, but not really aimed for kids.

This show is brilliant, no doubt in my mind, but some of the violence and sex in episodes like Ariel can get a bit bloody. The show also has foul language (however a lot of it is in Chinese). It also has alot of smuggling by main characters. But for mature 10-12 year old kids who are in to sci-fi I say... :).
Teen, 15 years old Written bycaptaingabs April 11, 2012

Cancel Glee--Bring back Firefly!

I LOVE FIREFLY! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Nathan Fillion, so that might be a reason... I still can't believe that they canceled it after only 14 episodes. Bring back Firefly!
Kid, 10 years old June 20, 2014

BEST SHOW EVER

I am ten years old and Firefly should not have been canceled it is the best show ever! Has some sex but it’s not too bad. Cool futuristic Sci-Fi western themed show. Has shooting, funniness, some swearing. Other than the sex and little swearing great show. Why must the great die so soon. Overall best show ever. I think it never should have been canceled. Parents should let kids watch it because it it’s just amazing. The doctor is a very good role model but Jayne is not a very good role model. Jayne is not a good role model because all he wants is money. The doctor is a good role model because he gave up everything to save his sister River.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfoxmalmage13 June 11, 2015

Fanomonal show, but has plenty adult themes

Firefly is one of my alltime favorite shows but it is very gory and violent, all of the characters make morally questioning choices (The characters are outlaws) and there is heavy sex. (One of the main characters is a prostitute)
Teen, 14 years old Written byLuke54 May 25, 2015

has some mature content

I love this show its may favourite sci-fi show. Some people may give this a rating less then 15 well a lot of people, but it has some content that isn't for kids. Like a scene where a guy was bleeding from his eyes ears and finger nails, a another scene where a dead person was strung upside down and an episode which would be to intense and scary for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorpenny December 28, 2013

Yet Another Example Of Why Fox Makes Poor Decisions

This slice of brilliance was cancelled after fourteen episodes. It has many shootouts. All episodes include excessive violence. There is a small amount of language, and for some reason all of the characters swear in Chinese. There is some sex, but it is easily skipped over. Some scenes take place in bars, and some characters drink. Most of the heroes are criminals. That said, for some reason I find it acceptable for 12 and up. If you think it is not, I suggest watching the episodes first.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBooknerd101 March 26, 2013

You can't take the sky from me

Come on. Bring it back please? only season one ever aired... and not all of the episodes!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJames Picard February 7, 2013

One of the Greatest Crimes Against Science Fiction . . .

Was that this show got cancelled early. Joss Whedon created one of the most daring sci-fi shows out there, and it is brilliant. The thing that really makes this show is the characters. All of them feel like someone who could exist in real life, or many years ago. While they may not be the best people, they're just trying to get by. Plus, they all have great chemistry together. One of Whedon's greatest strengths is ensemble casts, and this show is no exception. Everyone has their own unique relationship with everyone else, and they all mesh amazingly. Plus, it's got terrific writing. From the plots to the dialogue, every thing comes out amazing. This show could've been so much, had the chance been taken. But maybe some day, we'll get another movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMegan Hall April 15, 2010

FREAKING AMAZING

LOVE IT! a bit of violence/sex, but I don't think it is enough to make a point of it. Deffinitly my fav show
Teen, 15 years old Written byGMRivers December 8, 2016

Great show, but not for kids

I think that the show is beautifully done and it has a lot of interesting details on the story. It is great entertainment! However, it does include some heavier material that are not really fit for most kids under thirteen. If a kid is mature enough, he might enjoy it, but I don't think it's a good idea for younger kids unless there's some parental guidance involved.
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2016

Best SciFi series ever!!!

This is the best SciFi series ever!!! It was prematurely canceled. Why would you cancel a show like this?! Great characters, just ahh! Great series. There's a lot of SciFi violence and they have a "Companion" on board their ship. Companion is another word for prostitute. Overall this is one of the best TV shows ever!
Kid, 9 years old January 22, 2016

Just Great.

Positive Messages: None, 0 Positive Role Models: None, 0 Sex: Scenes Reference It, Characters Kiss And The Word Is Said Once Or Twice, 4 Violence, Shooting, Sword Fighting, Blood And Body Parts Coming Off, Crashes, 3 Swearing, Lot's In Different Languages And Some In English. 2 Drinking And Drugs: Some Drinking, Occasionally Characters Are Slightly Drunk, 1 Overall: 70/100
Teen, 16 years old Written byW0PR January 1, 2016

Excellent show with an atheist main character!

This show is in all ways good. I especially like the anti-religious themes, it is nice to see a show that does not revolve around the bible and "god". There is a sort of priest on the ship who sometime mentions the bible but no one takes it seriously. The violence is fairly moderate and includes, but is not limited to; shooting, stabing, electrical and mechanical torture, and in one case, imprisonment in a small box for four years. There are also some sexual themes but it is not over the top and there is always a moral of some sort involved.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmberdragon November 17, 2015

Good, but not for -13

Yes, I am rating this a five star, because it one of the best shows around. But, It's really not good for kids younger than 13, there is drinking, and a "companion" (prostitute), but there isn't much swearing. The story is great, and really makes you want to keep watching. There is a lot of violence, which i don't agree with, but the overall show is great. I advise parents to not let their younger children watch this.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywestpointboy July 29, 2015

good show

Firefly is a good tv show to watch anywhere its available on most streaming sites but you should trust your teen to skip the sex in it