All parent member reviews for Fireman Sam

Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byMother22 June 5, 2010

My children's favorite!

My kids love Fireman Sam & play the characters for hours, zooming around saving each other. One character (Norman Price) is constantly making bad choices & is disrespectful to his Mother, so we talk about that.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bysnack January 18, 2009

Teaches kids to respect fire and be careful!

I disagree with another reviewer about this being inappropriate for a two year old. Each story is about the dangers of fire and the importance of being careful in many situations. Nowhere did I find an episode where the characters didn't learn a lesson, or that was presented in a manner that encouraged kids to seek out fire, rather than respect it's power. All the episodes deal with safety and I know my child knows more about firemen and safety now because of it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byjellybean728 December 12, 2008

Not for 3 year olds

This show is probably one of the worst cartoons that I have ever seen. Why on earth would you let a 3 year old watch a show where another child is constantly starting fires and or trouble. It's obvious that Norman does not learn his lesson since he does something bad in every episode. When I was 3 I'm quite sure I did not know this much about fires. Yes a fireman (a real person) came to our school to show us what to do in the event of a fire but never have a child in a cartoon starting them. This is probably worse then Max & Ruby on Nickoldeon that I no longer allow my son to watch. Children at age 3 should be learning their ABC's not how to start fires.
Educator Written byLaurenBear August 17, 2014

A very good show about firefighters and safety

I have worked in public safety for many years and my husband is a firefighter. This is the best childrens' show I've seen about firefighters, fire safety, etc. The safety lessons are VERY consistent and solid. It's refreshing when other shows about similar topics are often very hypocritical... touting safety messages while portraying, in a positive light, the "rescuers" engaging in excessively dangerous behaviors themselves. Another reviewer here was critical that one of the characters acts irresponsibly sometimes, but I think he/she's missing the point, as this character doesn't ALWAYS act this way, and when he does do things that are unsafe, he is clearly portrayed in the show as foolish, there are clear negative consequences for his actions, and the other characters who act more responsibly are portrayed very positively. I greatly appreciate that this show portrays characters like a female firefighter and an interracial couple in a very normal, straightforward light. They are portrayed just as every other character on the show is. In my experience and opinion while this show is appropriate for the 2-to-3-year-old set, most kids won't be very interested until they're a bit older than that. The differences in accent, culture, and language seem to be intriguing to some kids, but too confusing to others, as far as interest goes.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 4 year old Written byFowlerFan July 1, 2011

Welsh fun

You can't go wrong with a Welsh show. I wonder how many fires they can have in a small town. A bit hokey, but very inoffensive.
Parent Written byMommaBaby March 11, 2012

My Two Year Old Son Loves It!

Fireman Sam is a good role model, but there is a boy in the show who is always getting into trouble and doing things he is not supposed to. I don't like the idea that the child is setting a bad example, but then again, he is always getting into trouble and needs Sam's help, so perhaps it teaches that we ought to listen to warnings to prevent trouble. I was a little concerned if it was age appropriate for a 2 year old, which is why I came on this site. Any thoughts?
Parent Written bycat13 July 15, 2011

The Only One

Fireman Sam is the only show our 2 yr old likes to watch and our 9 yr old doesn't mind watching it as well. I like the Welsh accents and "naughty Norman Price". Too bad it's now a CGI cartoon.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byComickaze June 27, 2010

Another great PBS Sprout additon...

My son recognizes that Norman is someone whose actions should not be followed, constantly noting, :He'll never learn. Thank goodness for Sam!" The supporting characters constantly reinforce the message. The previous reviewer who stated that neither this nor "Max and Ruby" are appropriate might need to take a more active role in helping their child to identify appropriate messages...
Educator and Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byMrs Mori August 25, 2009

Perfect for your little fire fighter. 2+

My 2 sons LOVE Fireman Sam. We never miss it.
Adult Written bygezellig_girl April 9, 2008