Kid reviews for Fringe

Moody conspiracy drama is creepy, complex, and masterful.

Teen, 15 years old Written byOneCrazyCartoon February 15, 2014

Fringe for Teens, Not Kids

I discovered Fringe in the recommended section of Netflix. After watching a few episodes, I find it a great thrilling ride only a producer like J.J. Abrams (Lost, Star Trek films) could bring. It meddles with the concept of "fringe science"; ideas that are very strange and physically impossible now being present all over the world. Focusing on one female FBI agent, a "crazy" scientist who experimented with "fringe sciences", and his not-so-willing-to-help son, it dives into the three investigating, analyzing and curing these unknown, unexplained occurrences. Violence is quite present in the show (car chases, guns, explosions) and there is a small bit of sexuality (The main character is shown in a intimate relationship with her work partner in the first episode.). I find that these factors would make the show best for teenagers and adults, not children.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFoxDragonFilms December 29, 2013

FRINGE

This is really one of the best shoes I have ever watched.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMoviegirl700 December 21, 2019

Violent, speed-jar tv show sure to draw you in.

Fringe is about fringe science. Because of the experimental nature, it can be horror-ish. I watch with my mom, because our main concern is sexual content(it has some!!)
Violence: 4/5 Lots of blood, pus, etc. Frightening creatures. Gagging, choking and hand to hand combat. Sometimes it is stuff out of a horror movie. Brains melt out of ears, teeth fall off, and jaws decompose. Gun wounds are shown. Explosions and talk of loss. LOTS of Blood. A death of a well known character happens in our world, but we see more of him in the alternate universe. One episode revolves around child abduction. A man hangs himself, another slices his throat with a razor blade, and another swallows a razor blade(we see him on the ground, eyes open, surrounded in a pool of silver blood). Talk of dying in childbirth, of cancer, etc. Walter has a few panic attacks with smashing, hitting, etc. People abduct pregnant Olivia, attempting to harm and abort her child, although she escapes. We see her deliver the baby with Lincoln and Henry(not graphic.) The last season is the most graphic(Walter is tortured, and we see him sweat and bleed out of his nose and eyes, Etta is killed and we see a good amount of blood). Torture sequences include mind reading, electrocution, etc. Nina kills herself with a bullet to her head. August dies-little to no blood. A bullet is removed from the back of Olivia's head, we see blood.
Sex: 3/5 Women are often seen in underwear and bras-both for experiments in labs, and in bed. Olivia and her former job partner John meet in hotels to have sex. We see them kiss and roll around, but never actually SEE it. Talk of cheating. Kisses. Walter makes many, many, many innuendos. A few scenes take place in strip clubs with women dancing for money. One sex scene, with music as the primary sound, showing brief undressing, rolling around, and making out. Peter and alternate Olivia sleep together/make out. Talk about STDs, and sex in general(whether they used protection, if it's happened yet, etc. A man offers to give his girlfriend(it may be his wife, idk) a back rub, with them undressing, kissing, and massaging. A few other sexual scenes in dream like sequences are mostly rolling around(under blankets) making out, and commenting
Language: 2/5 Bastard, hell, damn, God.
Drinking/Drugs: Scenes take place in bars. Characters are seen drinking and smoking. Walter says the only thing he loves more than taking drugs is administering them. Lots of LSD use.
Good show, but parental viewing is needed!

Teen, 15 years old Written bywinchestersalvatore4 February 15, 2017

Great show to get you thinking about what comes next

Fringe is one of my all-time favorite shows. It combines action, science, some sci-fi, and a little bit of romance. The plot is slightly complex but interesting nonetheless. There is a bit of intense action, which you could expect from the FBI, but also some sad, heart-wrenching moments too. I would recommend this to people 13 years and older just because of the action and slight drug use.

Teen, 16 years old Written bycbar04 August 26, 2015
fantastic series, but very creepy and sometimes the plots make the show seem real. Olivia is a wonderful character and is a strong, independent woman

Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolcolourofpink November 25, 2014

Quite Graphic

This program would be ok for older teens, however, it is extremely gory. In the first episode alone, there is a HUGE amount of gore. In the first episode it is not shown briefly either, but with a long scene that wouldnt be out of place in a horror movie.

Kid, 12 years old July 28, 2014

Awesome show!

Note: I am prepared to be a hypocrite, saying the show is not for me when I'm twelve and it still being one of my favorites.

Fringe opens almost every week with a gruesome horror-ish twist. The twist can continue into the rest of the episode. Also, really nobody is a great role model for your kids. Peter is... well, he's Peter and he's too mature for kids, Walter is insane, and Olivia Dunham is ruthless.

Walter normally solves the episodes with "fringe science", which is NOT to be confused with hard or even realistic science. It can also be gruesome. It will not make much sense to younger viewers. Walter is the main sex reference maker, although being insane I guess you can let that slide. There's no nudity, although there are unclear sex scenes. So yes, people do get laid.

I would choose to shy away from this if you have kids, and take a moment to honestly evaluate how much your teenager can handle. If they can handly gore and adult concepts, then Fringe is one of the best shows out there in my opinion. If they can't, then you might want to look somewhere else.

Kid, 12 years old June 9, 2014

Based on Episode 1

It looks really good based on the plot, so we got it on DVD collection and watched the start of episode 1. It started out as a sci-fi gorefest on a plane. People's skin were bloody and melting off like cheese on a pizza. A guy's jaw collapsed and he was moaning. A guy injects himself with something with a syringe. People on the.plane are infected with disgusting results (melting skin, bloody eyes, blisters and pus on face). Though it looks good.

Teen, 17 years old Written byMyMyRa96 June 2, 2014

Love this show

There is so much to say about Fringe, it's hard to find a starting place. This show never stops to take a breath--it is non-stop action and extremely engaging. The characters are complicated and the plot consists of hundreds of twists and turns that will leave you stunned and wanting more. For younger kids, some of the scenes may be frightening. The show, for mature kids, is great!

Kid, 12 years old May 6, 2014

Amazing.

Information on inappropriate content:
Violence every episode. Gunfights, explosions, sometimes disturbing human experiments. Lots of action.
Scenes of characters in bed together. Sometimes just kissing, sometimes sex. (Scenes with straight out sex are NOT graphic. In these scenes the camera could be foggy, behind a curtain, or made distorted.) No nudity in the entire series.
Opinion on the series as a whole:
Full of great action, developing characters, and a great tone. One of my favorite TV shows! I highly recommend this to anyone that loves sci-fi, action, suspense, and crime genres.

Teen, 16 years old Written byDay Nevada June 2, 2013

Great show...But very graphic

It's a great show, but it is a very graphic show, so if your kid tends to have nightmares or vivid dreams this is a definite no, and if you do not want your kid exposed to these kind of graphics. I don't mean bloody I mean liquid brains coming out of ears and faces falling off graphic.

Teen, 16 years old Written byibarncat December 22, 2011

A few scenes that are slightly graphic does not mean the show is totally inappropriate for tweens

This review is so stupid in its inaccuracy that I don't think I'm even going to bother to defend this show from your bad accusations. The title says it all.

Teen, 13 years old Written byArtpig August 1, 2011

Fringe

This is a fantastic series

Teen, 14 years old Written byRelleeStar May 17, 2011

:):

Kind of confusing, kind of weird, kind of questionable, but intriguing, susie sculpt, an leaves you oogling for more!

Buts it's very gory. In the first three minutes of the pilot, a virus festers people's skin and makes them decompose while still being alive. The pilots jaw seems to fall off like melting plastic and it's really XP

Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2011
its ok i'm not really into it tho...

Teen, 14 years old Written bystripesanddots November 6, 2010
This is a really great show! Some people may find it a little bit creepy and hard to follow. Also, there's some langauge, but not a lot. I think it's great for 11+.

Teen, 16 years old Written byspngrl101 August 10, 2010

great

I love this show. There is of course going to be violence and the language is very minimal. Walter does do drugs but he is funny and does not use then just to get high and stuff. I think the people are good role models and therefor send a good message since they are working for the "good" side. This show can get a bit complex and hard to understand thanks to the shows fringe science. Sometimes the images may be a bit scary or gross but i do love this show and think that 10+ is ok and depends on what your kid can handle.

Teen, 15 years old Written bykatiemay017 December 13, 2009

GREAT SHOW 13+

great show. My friend introduced to me, and i have been watching it ever since. Sometimes it can be a little scary, but there is usually humor mixed in. They don't swear alot, barely any sexual stuff, but sometimes Walter says things relating to sex. GREAT SHOW, you should watch it sometime.

Teen, 14 years old Written byswallowtear August 26, 2009

Gore

The show alternates between dark and hilarious. The lead seems quite flat, like she's too average, however. I'm hoping she'll improve.

The show pushes on science, making you question what really can be done, and what reality actually is. I'm expecting it to be quite a good show.

Just watch out for the gore. I said on for 14 and up, because by this time, most kids don't care about gore.

Teen, 13 years old Written byzachisfalloutboyfan1 April 10, 2009