Parent reviews for Fruits Basket

Thoughtful anime has great messages for older tweens.

Adult Written byCocktailSquid October 19, 2014

This is a great starter anime

The series is all about friendship and how caring about someone can change their life dramatically. All of the characters deal with things that are traumatic in their past (like the main character losing her mother) and are uplifted by the friendships around them.

There is some flirty interaction, but none of it is adult in nature. Also several characters are cursed to turn into animals when someone hugs them, and when they turn back, they are naked and have to put their clothes back on. There is no nudity, and it is always handled in a comical way that is non-threatening.

It ends in a very positive way, with a great message that kids in this age range should be able to understand and appreciate.

Adult Written byLizaica G. February 22, 2018

Any age

This anime is amazing it has helped me cause a year ago I lost my mother so I feel like this anime really helps anyone who is hurting and how to get over it.

The plot is amazing and the character development is incredible.
It's a heart touching anime,
I suggest watching it

(This is my opinion so please don't be offended by it )

Adult Written byTlwtlc June 11, 2020

Good messages, poor morals?

Before you watch this - know that this anime includes transgendered persons, gay persons, sexual innuendos and adult/teen sexual relationships are implied. This is not “a feel good anime with a message about acceptance”. This anime definitely includes content that may be confusing or inappropriate for younger children and teens. I was very disappointed in the way the anime was originally reviewed and felt that it did NOT accurately portray the content.

Adult Written byCaroline D. May 15, 2020

Parent Written byStephanie G. August 8, 2017

Cute but there is language

I watched and read this series with my daughter who is going on 11. But I did cringe with every bad word that was said.
In the episodes there are some episodes worse than others. The most common bad words are "d***" "s***" "a**" and occasional "b******"

The violence is nothing compared to dragon ball Z.

And the "romance" in the episodes is very limited.

If you get into the mangas the romance does get kicked up a notch. Nothing is explicitly shown luckily. But adults do mention their trysts.