Parent reviews for I Survived...

I Survived... Poster Image

Learn how to escape & anyone can be a victim

Movies & dramatic fiction show chidren (& grownups too) that the "bad guy" is scary looking, or that we'll get a "gut feeling" & that miraculously, if we pray or wish hard enough, we'll be rescued or survive. That is not real life. Children are inadvertently taught from TV - I call it "The Disney Effect" -that wishing or praying will realize their wishes. This program *should* scare you. It *should* frighten you. It will show you that you can lose loved ones and that terrible, horrible things happen to good people. "When it rains, it rains on every one". This show has taught me to never, ever give anyone the benefit of the doubt. It has taught me to never, ever! have "faith" in a stranger & allow yourself to be in a situation that could end up fatally. It does not turn you into a pessimist, in no way- it turns you into a realist. Watch with younger children SUPERVISED- and watch with older children & have a discussion. Excellent show to teach older children the miserable realities of life & to "watch out" I think it's a great opening to discuss safety & a child's reaction to the victims in this show. Thank you.

I felt empowered by the stories of survival

I think it really depends on the episode. There was one that focused on Hurricane Katrina that was really inspiring and another that focused on the Alabama tornado from last spring. In both of those you could have talked about family emergency planning and weather and how it affects areas of the country. In addition, there have been some segments on children who were kidnapped and assaulted and it tells how they literally saved their own lives by thinking of ways to escape or remembered details about their attacks. Plus, for me personally, I watched it a lot while going through a divorce with my violent ex and it gave me a lot of strength. I felt empowered by the survival stories.

Scary but Probably Beneficial to Some Kids

There is nothing exploitative about this series. I have never seen any blood or nudity on it. However, the descriptions of home invasions, animal attacks, accidents involving electrocution, etc, are very frank. If rape is involved the word rape is used, what else do you expect? The series illustrate the dangers of interacting with strangers which is good for kids to see. It also has a very positive message about keeping your wits about you when you ARE in danger. These are studio interviews with no cursing at all. No one says "s--t" or the "f--k" as someone here indicated. I saw ONE episode where a criminal smoked crack but they did not show this.