All parent member reviews for I Survived...

Parent of a 6 year old Written bysurprisemom44 October 22, 2013

I felt empowered by the stories of survival

I think it really depends on the episode. There was one that focused on Hurricane Katrina that was really inspiring and another that focused on the Alabama tornado from last spring. In both of those you could have talked about family emergency planning and weather and how it affects areas of the country. In addition, there have been some segments on children who were kidnapped and assaulted and it tells how they literally saved their own lives by thinking of ways to escape or remembered details about their attacks. Plus, for me personally, I watched it a lot while going through a divorce with my violent ex and it gave me a lot of strength. I felt empowered by the survival stories.
Parent Written byarcticranger February 28, 2012

Scary but Probably Beneficial to Some Kids

There is nothing exploitative about this series. I have never seen any blood or nudity on it. However, the descriptions of home invasions, animal attacks, accidents involving electrocution, etc, are very frank. If rape is involved the word rape is used, what else do you expect? The series illustrate the dangers of interacting with strangers which is good for kids to see. It also has a very positive message about keeping your wits about you when you ARE in danger. These are studio interviews with no cursing at all. No one says "s--t" or the "f--k" as someone here indicated. I saw ONE episode where a criminal smoked crack but they did not show this.