Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 14 parent reviews

Sort by:

Refreshing!

We're Missionary Baptist, and our son is 5. He gets limited screen-time and we screen all movies, shows, and even the few educational games he is allowed to play. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Kipo! It has characters that look like us, messages about perseverance, learning about the world around you, and how to treat your neighbors. We only know a handful of gay families, and want our son to know how to interact with all peoples: With respect and love. Point blank. Exactly what Yhwh teaches us. Watching Kipo got us to have conversations about astronomy, why and how insects regenerate limbs, you name it! He didn't ask about Benson being gay, but did ask why he "didn't like the pretty girl back". He asked if it hurt Kipo's feelings, and we got to discuss that Benson likes people other than Kipo, and that's OK, and they could still be friends and support each other. We also got to have a very short conversation about how, when people he isn't attracted to try to cross boundaries, he has the right to have his boundaries respected, and vice versa. For all the amazing parents out there worried about the conversations that could come from some of these moments in the show, I encourage you to keep going and keep having these positive conversations. God allows all people in His world, and it's our job to teach our babies how to love all, even those who are different from us. There are same-sex attractions in our world and we're grateful that that one, small moment in the show gave us a chance to teach our baby, in our home, how to deal when he comes across them (through a great show)!

7 people found this helpful.

(8yr)-Really funny. They stick up for each other.

My little sister is 8 years old n really likes superhero type shows. I have only been watching the show 5 minutes but it seems really funny and cool. Yes she realizes that the character Benson is gay and is not influenced nor bother by the fact. I don’t believe putting gay characters on tv is “pushing an agenda” I grown up watching straight people kiss on tv as a kid on shows like Drake and Josh” which was a kids show and l was never influenced to go make out with boys. I also think including characters like Benson well help stop bullying at school. Overall great show my sister loves it and says they always stick up for each other and their pets are funny and cool.

1 person found this helpful.

Best Cartoon of 2020.

Its great fun for the whole family seems kida kid like but the story is so much more im 19 at the time of making this review and I can say I LOVE the show my 10 year old sister older sister and older brother along with my mom and my dad thought it was good to watch. The characters are kid friendly and the art style is fantastic I recommend this to anyone that hasn't seen it.

Refreshing

Granted, a few scary moments. Some violence. But the optimism of Kipo and the lessons learned here about inclusivity are perfect.

Great show, complex themes

When we discovered Kipo we binged the first two seasons in a week. My 7 year old son was obsessed, he's rewatched it several times since and devoured season 3 when it came out. It's rare to find a kids show with such complex messages and characters. The best comparison I can find is The Last Airbender (the show, not the movie). Some of the themes were too complex for my 6 year old though. She liked some parts of the show, but in general too much went over her head. I would say 7 is probably a good age to begin watching the show. For your older kids though, Kipo is a great role model. Her optimism and refusal to give up even in tough situations are characteristics I love seeing modeled for my kids.

Great Addition to "One of the Greatest TV Shows for Kids"

Kipo's story introduces kids to great messages about determination, kindness and a prejudice-free mindset. The show also has a very diverse, incredible cast and great, fun music with hip hop, country, rock and pop. Especially during today's protests for Black Lives Matter, DACA, struggles of third world countries, and sharing love towards everyone, Kipo helps reach the message across that people no matter how different they are can work together. It takes a mindset that is willing to grow and work to succeed however, the show is no where near being political. It is very uplifting and positive. Also, Kipo's parents show a great example of caring parents that work together in a loving relationship. Even as a college student, I enjoyed the series, and I cannot wait for the third season. There are no inappropriate scenes in the show. There is some violence but nothing graphic just cool action scenes. It is very appropriate for children and even great for teens and adults to enjoy.

KIPO: and the age of wonderbeasts

This show gives a child a chance to understand the normal surroundings in life. From being part of the LGBTQ+ community to diversity among others. It shows adventure and challenges while giving information about life on earth and the stars. Wolf is one of the characters in the show, she is basically a babysitter for Kipo, she shows Kipo the works of life in a post apocalyptic world. Benson is a character that shows Kipo not everyone and thing is bad, and that you can find greatness in the terrible parts of life. Dave and Mandu are polar opposites, Dave has no worry as to what might happen because he can’t really die, while, Mandu views all safety in life to ensure everyone is safe. Kipo is an intelligent strong girl who knows everything about now, but has no idea about the surface.

Great series with engaging storytelling

Happy that the show has diverse characters. My 7-year-old and 10-year- old both love it.

Great crossover show for kids and parents

It's clever, it's cute, the language is clean. It's exciting but not actually very scary (my five-year-old has not been concerned about being attacked by a giant corgi). Great and inventive story, beautiful animation, solid character development, spot-on music. What's not to love! The second we finished the last episode, my kid said "Daddy, can you put on season 2?" Since the show was just released in January 2020 and season 2 has not yet been announced, I suppose we need to leave that decision to Netflix and Dreamworks. But we certainly hope they get the green light, because season 1 was great fun.