Parent reviews for Last Man Standing

Sitcom mixes family-friendly themes with stereotypes.

Parent Written bynuenjins May 8, 2019

Many Liberals lividly hate Conservative American views. Hence this show.

There is NO hateful "homophobia" or other such nonsense in this show. But people LOVE to say that and sticker slap it with irresponsible and unintelligent name calling when they don't like the content. The dialogue CAN get salty with the language at times, but it's done in a real way, and although Mike Baxter says some "very male" things you may hear from a typical dude, he often apologizes later or recinds his comments to show that he is still a man who's learning and growing (unlike the people who wrongfully accuse and bash the show). THAT to us is smart scripting and makes it's critics seem petty and juvenile, which is all the more reason this show succeeds. With life lessons, inclusion and a great cast of totally imperfect but loving people, this is one of our all time favorite sitcoms, and I'm NOT a Republican OR a fan of Home Improvement. Baxter out!
Adult Written bydoraya October 20, 2011

Disney should be ashamed for their promotional tactics!

I was very disappointed in Disney/ABC. They have been advertising this show like crazy on the Disney channel so I thought it would be like The Middle, appropriate for the entire family. It was NOT child appropriate at all. There were sexual references homosexual references, and other inappropriate themes for young children.

Adult Written byScreenGu March 29, 2020
Adult Written byWisconsin1 January 10, 2020

Not suitable for teens of any age -- Should be rated R

There is so much sexual talk (not just innuendo), not only would I be uncomfortable watching with my child of any age, it disgusts me. The episode I saw has the mid-teenage daughter sneaking out until 3 am one night. Her Mom covers for her so the Dad won't find out. Are you kidding me? Then the daughter lies to both parents so she can meet her less-than-two-weeks boyfriend at a hotel all night and have sex. How does the rating board (or the network?) get away with rating this PG? PG?!
In addition, the dialogue--of the entire length of the show--is a string of not-funny one-liners spouted by every character, accompanied by laugh track. So you're hearing the laugh track every two to seven seconds.
They call this a "family show." No wonder kids and teens are so messed up today.

Adult Written byparsons696 June 21, 2019

I love this show and the down to earth script the writers come up with. But I want the original Mandy back. She was perfect for the part! I like the original Boyd better as well.

Adult Written byPeej1960 January 4, 2019

Disappointing & unfunny

The better writers clearly did not follow the move to Fox. Not funny anymore. Waste of time.
Adult Written byDpinto December 31, 2018

Mandy

It's funny but there is only one Mandy. The original.
Adult Written bylola89 November 14, 2018

Open conversation with your family

The show doesn't shy away from any family issues and I am happy to see that it recognizes the way of solving any and all problems is by respecting everyone's values with dignity, hard work, communication and love. There is no entitlement, you must work for what you want and have a good heart. it's the TV family motto.

Adult Written byAce0710 October 10, 2018

Original Mandy was better

I don't know who this new Mandy is, but she is horrible, compared to the original, it was a major let down, original shows are so much better.
Adult Written byAlexiamarie September 19, 2018

Great show !

I love watching this show with my family, so glad it’s returned so we don’t have to just re watch the same episodes !!

Adult Written byveryugly June 28, 2018

VERY OFFENSE TV SHOW

This show is quite offensive, especially to our last President, Mr. Obama. This show ALWAYS has something negative to say about him. Why does the producer John Amodeo feel necessary to ALWAYS say something negative about him. I do not what the point of this is!!!! Is it supposed to show PEOPLE HOW MUCH THE PRODUCER DISLIKES MR. OBAMA? There is absolutely NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT ANY OF TH E COMMENTS ABOUT MR. OBAMA. GLAD THE SHOW IS OFF THE AIR!!!
Adult Written byMatt B. April 20, 2018

Very good show and family friendly

This was one of the best shows on TV. It is appropriate for families.
Parent of a 11, 14, 16, and 18+-year-old Written byAshlie J. November 1, 2017

Love this show!

Our whole family laughs and laughs at this show. From adult, to 17, down to 11, we love it.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written byDesiree O. May 20, 2017

I love this show, ABC sucks for taking it off the air, i am thinking about not watching ABC anymore and if it wasn't for Grey's anatomy i wouldn't

Adult Written byWendy O. April 19, 2017

Not worth wasting a 1/2 hr of my free time.

Mindless one liners over and over again. Loved home improvement, this series is not worth my free time.
Parent Written byPhil S. February 11, 2017

Full of sexual innuendos

This show is well disguised as a family show but don't be fooled.
It's full of inappropriate sexual innuendo other reviews have mentioned and my daughter feels very uncomfortable watching it with me.
Also there is no positive role model here since the lead character is a narcissist, his wife is an alcoholic, eldest daughter got knocked up and is a single parent, middle daughter skips school and home & comes home late at night. The youngest daughter is treated like a son he always wanted and makes sure everyone knows how he always wanted a son and how disappointed he is to have daughters!
That says it all!

Adult Written byTerry M. February 5, 2017

Funny and light

Great show. All of the characters are good. The oldest sister is the weak link but she is OK. Her one facial expression gets annoying. Show is a liberal show dressed as conservative show. Despite these two thing it will make you laugh. Tim Allen is really funny.

Parent of a 11, 13, 15, and 17-year-old Written byLisa L. February 5, 2017

Fun but Definitely not for kids!

I like this show - even the right wing humor :) but there are so many sexual references and topics I can't believe it. I also can't believe this got a TV PG rating. The topic content alone should have rated it TV 14. I totally trusted the rating board and allowed my 10 year old to watch this without watching it myself first. I will not make that mistake again. At one point the dad sexually discusses his daughter as a human wheelbarrow. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Unfortunately, this show will no longer be allowed on when our younger kids are up. Shame on Disney for not warning families better and for dubbing this a family show. Many scenes made our family uncomfortable to be watching it together.
Parent of a 7 and 12-year-old Written byAnnie G. November 21, 2016

Sexist and homophobic content is not appropriate for any age.

Adult Written byIsaderb February 9, 2016

A Great Show For Mature Children

This show is absolutely a family favorite. I love all of the actors, charactors, and episodes in general. Sadly, they add in MANY sexual references. The references may go over a child's head. This is one of those shows I would recommend watching for yourself before aproving for your child. Otherwise, the show is wonderful it has great messages about life, and great role models. There is teen dating, teen pregnancy, and the teens themselves make sexual references. It isn't overwhelming though. I think if your child is mature enough this is a great show to bond over.