All parent member reviews for Law & Order: SVU

Parent of a 11, 12, and 18 year old Written byMarlon baker December 23, 2013

It depends on the child you have

My child loves this show and wants to be just like Olivia (one of the characters) when she grows up and she is 12 years old! I think it depends on the child you have if you think that your child isn't ready, in other words if you think that maybe it will send the wrong message, then just go with your gut. I started my child with other law and orders, because there are TONS out there, when I thought she was ready I let her watch the SUV, she LOVED it and still does! Her favorite part is finding out the Mysteries! I think it teaches problem solving skills. There are some positive role models in the addicting show but be careful if your kid is too young then it just might send a mixed message. Keep in mind that not all crime shows have rapes in them just pick the kind you want your kid to watch. The only language in the show are a few H's and D's if you know what I mean. There are a few scenes in the bar REMEMBER: teaches problem solving skills Has positive role models ( good guys: cops/bad guys) Of course it has violence! Has sex, rapes, kiddnaps, Ect but there are different law and orders on deferent channels Only "H" words and "D" words Be sure to tell your child that these crimes probably will happen but not to them even though it expanse that at the very beginning of every show
Parent Written bysperryking July 9, 2011

Parents relax its great show for mature teens 12+

The series is a way to show what really happens everyday and how justice is or isn't served in a rather entertaining and interesting way.the suspenseful series leaves you wanting to watch more and may inspire older kids to potentially work in that field of work.(kids should know that it takes hard work and a long time to become a detective and handle crimes like the actors o the show do, also inform them that they have their share in heavy paper work and there is much more to being a cop)alot of parents choose to smuggle there kids and not introduce them to things in the real world thinking that there protecting them. if your child is 12+ years old they should be allowed to watch this show because it helps kids understand how justice should be served and they should always inform the police about crimes. and for the people who think no one under 17 should watch you need to realize that kids can handle more than you think and there gonna learn these things either on the show or on the streets. 16 is ridiculously close to a young adult and should be exposed to these type of situations so they can understand how to handle it. i know a girl(age 16) who recently and intentionally had unprotected sex because she didnt know that she could get pregnant when she's not on her period.The result of a very overprotecive parent who tried to mold her daughter into the perfect child by not letting educating her about dangers, sex and its consequences if not 12, 14 year olds should be aloud to watch it i've been watching this since i was 11
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 December 15, 2009

really good show

One of the best shows out there
Adult Written bymrs.black09 September 27, 2009

Defiinitely not for young teens and younger

I had been watching the original Law and Order since I was eight or nine without issue, so my usually very cautious mother thought it would be okay for me to watch SVU starting when I was about thirteen. That was a big mistake - I was an innocent kid who didn't know much about consensual sex but I was seeing all this stuff about rape and molestation - and it kind of skewered my views on sex. It kind of messed me up for several years. My Mom could tell I was upset by it and made me stop watching it, and I'm glad she did. Now I watch it every now and then, but it is disturbing even now! Even the original Law and Order is getting darker and darker - rent the first few seasons of the good old original on DVD instead of watching on TV if you have kids or young teens.
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 20, 2014

Intelligent Crime Show.

This is an intelligent crime show, because, they solve cases that have to do with topics including abuse/sexual assault and i'm very educated in those field of psychology.
Parent Written byGogolucke54 May 17, 2014

Amazing!

Quality for any age. All kids will enjoy this thought-provoking show.
Parent Written byAren_seaweed August 24, 2013

Careful but good

This is definitely a case of knowing your kid. While the messages of SVU - the good guys usually win and criminals are normally caught - is a wonderful one, the subject matter is gritty and rather disturbing. This has made me cringe as an adult woman, so teens may find it even more disturbing. Simply make sure you understand if your child will be disturbed or will be able to glean the positive messages that this show is full of.
Adult Written bytinycats May 25, 2013

You don't want to traumatize your kids...

Law & Order: SVU opens peoples eyes to the ugliness in the world(rape, murder, traffiking, etc.) but also the good (people who dedicate their lives to helping others, standing up to the criminals, etc). I started watching this show when I was around 14. Some parts are very scary because of how true-to-life these situations can be. I think that kids should wait until they are around 15 because it's scary and it could cause nightmares. It creeped me out when I started watching, I didn't feel safe sleeping with my windows open anymore. Some of the episodes show the crime in progress; that's usually the scariest part. When the detectives arrive, the crime scenes can be gruesome and bloody. There is violence in it because it is a crime show, but it does NOT in any way encourage violence. Some of the criminals say creepy things. I think this show can be educational because the crimes -- as odd and scary as they can be -- are realistic. It can teach kids that they need to be careful and will probably keep them from wanting to sneak out at night or do drugs since date rape is a topic on some of the episodes. Also Olivia Benson is a great role model.
Parent Written byMr. Mario August 17, 2012

The best in the Law and Order series is also the worst.

Although this is considered the best Law and Order show in the franchise (which it is), it is also the one that is the violent, sexual, the language is out of control and the drinking is also there. If you have 12 and 13 year olds that are truly mature to handle this calibur of stuff then let them watch it.
Adult Written bymoviemadness July 27, 2011

Not for Everyone

Law and Order SVU is a good and extremely popular show, but it is not for younger teens. Do not let the TV-14 rating fool you, this is a violent, scary, voyeuristic, and realistic series. There is graphic discussion and portrayal of sexual cruelty, violence, murder, and peril. Criminals and their stories can be deeply disturbing (or touching) and the look into their prosecutions can be uncomfortably real. Think of this show as all the details left out of the newspaper article covering a crime -not for kids, young teens, or anyone sensitive.
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace July 4, 2011

A Show About Rape and other Sexual Offenses.

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit is a realistic portrayal of the investigation and persecution of heinous sexual offenses. It is simply not made for kids. The majority of the episodes are more intense than many rated R movies. The crimes include elder abuse, child abuse, disabled person abuse, men raping men, women raping men, men raping transgenders, and men raping women. There is a lot of raping. It isn't for kids, and some people are better off never watching this show. But it is a well made, suspenseful, crime thriller.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bysvufan March 23, 2011

OK for ages 9+ with a parent or other adult present

I think the show shows "real" problems and delivers positive messages for kids and teens; such as kidnapping, sexual abuse, child abuse, etc. I recommend to talk about these issues with your child before watching the show and watch it with him/her especially if they are younger. I also think it's important to teach kids about sexuality at a young age; just in an appropriate way and as they get older teach them about that sex generally should involve love and the difference between consensual and not consensual sex. Also, as far as language goes; kids here these terms already a lot on the streets and if they ask you what for example, SOB means just explain it to them and tell them that it's a bad word to use. This show can be very educational if watched correctly even by younger children.
Adult Written byShivs January 2, 2011

Although the show does have a lot of grizzly crimes, it always has great quality performonces and positive messages. I also appreciate how the show honestly displays that although a crime may be solved, it doesn't guarantee a happy ending or that reconciliation will occur. I love SVU and find it interesting and engaging, but do understand concerns about its themes.
Adult Written byA caring parent November 5, 2010

Definitely shouldn't be viewed by kids under 17.

While it may have the great message that you can go to police for help, it also exposes the viewer to the lowest depravity imaginable. Developing minds/sexual attitutes should NOT be watching this. It could really mess some young people up.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byclaudiaL January 21, 2010

thought-provoking and may stimulate useful debate with 16-17plus

Parent of a 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMarshall78 August 16, 2009

My Husband And I Love This Show!

I love this show. My husband and I record every eipsode and watch them after our kids go to bed. I started watching this the year it started. If I watch a certian eisode and don't think that its to bad my older kids might get to watch it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byCarlene_Rozanna August 2, 2009

Depends on the child

I've been watching the show since twelve (I am almost fourteen now) and am totally addicted. The show is well cast with Mariska and Chris leading the team under the watchful eye of Dann Florek. Forced intercourse is a main theme of the show and I have been very affected by some of the episodes to the point of tears. It is definitely for a mature audience and I adore Mariska and Diane Neal. The issues it deals with can be very controversial and some parents might not want their younger teens exposed to them. The personal relations between the squad are hard-core, complicated, and emotional. Although John Munch keeps even the darkest episodes (every episode is DARK!!!) tolerable, I urge parents to watch them and/or read a full description about them before allowing their child to view them... especially if there are doubts about how well your child can handle the themes. Some episodes are pretty good for viewers 12+ whereas some are not a good choice for even 14+. It deals with very real situations and I think it is good for the horrors of humankind to be exposed. I love this show and will not discontinue watching it!
Parent of a 1 and 2 year old Written bybubba33 July 12, 2009

I am 21 years old and I have been watching this show for a long time I was sexually abused and this show inspired me and helped me alot, Olivia Benson although only a character is played so well by Marishka encouraged me to seek help and I would personally thank her and reccommend that parents allow there children to watch it incase there child is going through it and doesnt know what to do or so they can understand what is happening and how to handle it, it will also teach them that police are there to help you if you need it and kick you in the ass if you deserve it, I have 2 young children and I will allow them to watch it from 15 onwards.
Adult Written byJewishPrincess April 9, 2008