All teen and kid member reviews for Law & Order: SVU

Teen, 15 years old Written byccv23 April 28, 2011

Great show! but not made for kids

This is a very entertaining but disturbing show. I started watching it when i was 10 and i enjoyed it but sometimes i would turn off the tv because it was too scary haha. This show was definetly not made for kids but i think teens can handle it. Almost every episode has educated and trained people bringing criminals to justice so it has some good messages.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySVU for life August 28, 2016

Fantastic show

I started watching this at 14 and I thought i would be very scared because I can't handle this stuff very well. None of the blood or crimes scared me that much except for one episode where a woman was completely dismembered and they were trying to find all the missing body parts. It made me become more aware of the people im around. Also there are very strong performances by the cast. It has become my favorite show. If these crimes scare you I don't recommend for young children. They only talk about sex but never show it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bykellie_116 August 9, 2016

Important Message for Teenagers

Obviously, a show about sexual violence has a lot of, well, sex and violence. But SVU is a great show with an important message. Leading lady Lt. Olivia Benson is a strong role model who never gives up and always fights for justice. She also proved that it is, in fact, possible to work full-time and be a single mom! Even more importantly, SVU shows viewers that justice is possible for victims of sexual assault and that you can overcome an attack like this. Because I watch SVU, I know what to do if I'm ever sexually assaulted. I know that men can be raped. And I know that it is never, ever the victim's fault. I started watching this show with my mom right after my 14th birthday. I think it's probably okay for 14 year olds to watch with a parent, but I definitely think kids should watch with an adult for their first several episodes.
Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2014

Okay for 11+ with an adult

Violence 8/10: Every crimes involve a violent act with blood and sometimes realistic cut in people. Language 4/10: a*s, hell, damn, b*tch. Only said during interrorgations. Sex 8/10: Crimes include rape, torture, and sex. Positive messages 9/10: This show is based on true crimes that happened in NY. Olivia and Elliot are uncovering dark and gruesome secrets about crimes
Teen, 16 years old Written bya1l2l3y4 August 29, 2013

great show

This is a really great show.for people that think that only older teens to watch this , kids know a lot more than we give them credit for.they need to get used to how the world is.
Teen, 16 years old Written byscarlett_elisabeth August 6, 2013

Not for kids

the tv show is 14+ for a good reason, anybody under the age of 13 should not be watching this.
Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2011

Not a tween/teen show. Mature teens and adults only!

I hate the show, only because it is insanely scary for tweens! I like NCIS, so I decided to watch this. NOT a good idea. I was creeped out for a whole week! It is a good show, but definitly for older people.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymorgsss January 31, 2017

13+

I watched one episode when I was 10 and was scared but I watched it again now and it was a really good show
Teen, 14 years old Written byjaneislit December 12, 2016
Teen, 16 years old Written byhewasacarrot19 September 17, 2016

An absolutely amazing show for teens

I'm 16 - and I've been watching the show for about a year. I am by far one of the most emotionally sensitive and attached tv viewers I've ever heard of, but this show means the absolute world to me. I can only watch about two or three tops a day before I need to kind of take a step back and watch something else, but that's absolutely fine with me! I would suggest doing a bit of research if you're sensitive about the season finales and season premiere's before you watch one, just to make sure you're prepared, but besides that I'd honestly really really highly suggest this series. Mariska Hargitay as the lead detective is one of the best role models for young people ever, showing that no matter what has happened in your life, you can do anything you put your mind to, and how to be a strong and loving person. The show itself is gorgeous, with by far the best writing for any show I have ever seen, and acting, it's just so enthralling. I've showed it to my brother and one of my friends, and both of them have gotten completely hooked. For teens, sadly, people don't really discuss these issues at all, especially in schools, so it's actually very educational and helpful because unfortunately these are very real issues going on in the world. It's really not gory hardly at all, more emotional. In earlier seasons, in the intro, they may show someone's reaction to finding a dead body, or part of a dead body, but in more recent seasons they don't even do that. They hardly show violence as well, really less than you would think. Occasionally the cops have to chase someone and then tackle them, but besides that all they show is sometimes, in the intro, someone walking around before they get attacked or assaulted, and then the team comes back in after. Not much swearing, sometimes they use anatomy words but I would hope everyone is comfortable with that, haha. This show will really teach you empathy too, and make you never be a bystander again. It'll make you want to help people, and I think that's pretty amazing. HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR TEENS!
Teen, 15 years old Written byaidan2447 September 11, 2016

Addicting-but not for young teens!

Once I started watching this show, I couldn't stop. I have finished a season in 3 days. While it's a great show, there are some drawbacks; not about the show itself, but the ideas it puts in young teens' heads. After watching this, I became more wary of men, walking alone by myself, wearing revealing clothes, etc. I have gotten over it, remembering that this is pure fiction and not based on any specific case, but there is a chance any of this can happen. If you do watch, do not binge watch as I have learned. Stretch it out, do not overwhelm yourself with this show.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMharvey454 February 5, 2016

Educational and Interesting

I have been watching SVU for almost a year, and while I haven't watched every single episode, I can safely say that this is one of my favorite shows. I mark my calendar every week just to make sure that I never miss a single episode. This show is intriguing, mysterious, and educational. It shows the harsh reality, and most of the main characters are very likeable. Olivia Benson is a great strong female lead. She is fearless and incredibly intelligent. Fin is funny and not afraid to slam a criminal and say a joke along the way. Overall I would highly recommend this show to mature viewers who are willing to see how detectives fight crime.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhollygburns June 18, 2015

Awesome!

The show is great! I love it! I think it is a great show, but could be to much for some people!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMgrace1 May 8, 2015

Good Show

I grew up watching this show, so I was probably 7 when I started yes I got scared, heck I was always scared to watch these shows, Now like 5 years later I am hooked on Crime Shows. Family has been watching this show for 16 years, My family got me hooked on them. If your children are mature enough then, go ahead let them watch it. Keep them coming coming.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanimateddisneyfan December 14, 2014

killer show!

I really like this show! But it's definitely has scenes in the show that are graphic like in the beginning of this one episode you do see a lady with her foot cut off. But really it is a good show and it's a great show for people who want to do this job when their older. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bybgreenfield22 April 29, 2014

Law and Order

This show is not super violent but it has lots of violent rape/incest. I watched this show a few times but it just scared me to think about the things going on in the show.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLinz500 February 9, 2014

SVU

Really good show!
Teen, 13 years old Written byThinker47 June 17, 2013

Good, but lots of sexual crimes

Parents should know there are a lot of rapes, sexually themed murders, and molest crimes in this show. There is also more violence and grittiness than in the original LAO.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelizalee814 April 20, 2013

Brilliant show with positive role models and messages!

I started watching this this year and I have to say I think it's my favorite show and I mean that! Christopher Meloni does a genius job portraying Elliot Stabler and everyone else does an amazing job as well! Although at times it can be a bit rough to watch I think it sends a good message to people and really brings awareness to stuff that's happening today! If you think that a 13 year old doesn't know what rape is then your wrong because most thirteen year olds do. Besides it's not like it's a show about people just having sex, it's about rape and other crimes like it. There is a teeny bit of violence sometimes but it's not too bad. Other than that it's got a lot of good role models and positive messages! They usually don't even show the rape they just show someone finding the victim in the beginning.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTaylor0 May 31, 2012

Love This Show!!!

First of all, the violence is when somebody shoots someone or there is physical fights. Second of all, it's Law & Order: SVU, it doesn't show many sexual scenes. It does however talk about sex, but that's what the show is about, detectives solving rape crimes and children crimes. It will talk about drugs and alcohol and you will see scenes with drugs and alcohol. There is some minor bad language, but no F word or anything like that. Being 16 to watch this show that's a joke. I say as long as you are sexually educated enough you can watch this show.