All parent member reviews for Liv and Maddie

Parent Written bysaltylady October 29, 2013

more stereotypes and ditzy girl stuff

Why am I not surprised that Disney (or is it Nick? who knows) made yet another show that glorifies ditzy teen girl behavior and teaches kids that being anything other than pretty and popular is bad news. The show is about twin girls, one is an actress, wears makeup and girly clothes, and the other is a more normal teen girl who actually cares about school, wears glasses, plays basketball. Your daughter is supposed to like the second one, but you know she's going to think the actress is the cool one. The normal twin has a best friend who is less attractive and slightly heavy. A heavy set minority best friend is part of all these shows. Every third joke is about how this best friend isn't properly feminine, and how she has a crush on the twins' brother, who of course will never like her because she's not cute. What a disgusting message for little girls. The only good thing I can say is at least they have parents and don't live in some teen band boarding school.
Adult Written byTinyToya August 12, 2013

A Beacon of Hope for Disney Channel?

I've now see a few episodes and am still pleased. Liv and Maddie are twin sisters with one being a pop star and the other being a brainy normal girl. (This part of the show is unrealistic to me. Yes, there are celebrities who have brothers and sisters that are unknown to the public. However, these girls are supposed to be twins and they are going to school together. In this day and age that would cause a frenzy). More to the point, Dove Cameron plays both characters and I find her roles to be quite well done. She embodies Liv and Maddie distinctly and without flaw. One might actually believe there were two actresses playing the roles. This brings to mind a question: Why didn't Disney just hire twins? Like they did with Dylan and Cole Sprouse? Yes, Dove Cameron is a great actress but the show is not exactly the same when the two characters never interact directly. The camera angle has to change and there is digital work involved. But some people may enjoy that and like Dove even more. The show itself is pretty funny. I wish the parents weren't so zany but one can live with it. Importantly, I think this show might prove to be a saving grace to the current state of Disney channel.
Educator and Parent Written byFatherwithkids May 16, 2015

Good idea but again another show with the false imortance into boyfriend/girlfriend situations.

Constant goal is for relations with boys. The idea of showing individuality doesnt mean a lack of care for family is great, but the tone of relationship with boys like all of todays shows are just distracting from the importance that the show actually can teach.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright January 17, 2014

I should have reviewed this months ago

I saw the first episode on August 11, and fell in love with this show. It's adorable. The only reason I didn't rate this 5/5 is because of the Christmas episode. It had a good plot but I didn't like the subplot where Joey got peed on by a bunch of kids. I decided to review this now because hey, better late than never. Also, today is when Cloud 9 airs and I want to see it. Also, I'm proud of Disney lately. They aired The Rescuers on Disney Jr. November 30, then The Little Mermaid on December 22, then Peter Pan on December 24, then Dumbo on December 28, and best of all, The Fox and the Hound (my favorite film ever along with the original Charlotte's Web) on December 29. Today they aired Lilo & Stitch. I forgot how much I like Lilo & Stitch. I should have reviewed it December 26, 2012 when I reviewed my other favorites. I'm not sure WHY this show got only 3/5 when The Haunted Hathaways got 4/5 (it deserves 0 in my opinion.) My favorite character is Liv because she's adorable. But I also like Maddie. Over all, I give this show an 8.75. I also gave Gordy a 7.75 but then changed it to 10 because I saw how bad The Haunted Hathaways was. UPDATE ON FEBRUARY 9: Yesterday they reaired The Fox and the Hound and tonight they're reairing The Rescuers. So for that I'm changing the rating to 5/5.
Parent Written byangelp1 March 16, 2015

Upbeat

This is one of the better shows, and my favorite show so far is the episode where all of the boys are rating the girls and Maddie comes up with the song "I'll show you what a girl is" I have a 7 year old daughter and I thought that was a very positive message, also, Liv received an acting role, where she was playing a typically male character. In another episode, Liv who comes across as another dumb blonde, proves she has brains when she enters a science contest. Then there is Maddie who plays basketball. The only thing that confuses me is they did a behind the scenes look and we learn that they use 3 girls to play this set of twins, wouldn't it make more sense to have hired twins? That being said Dove Cameron is a great little actress, and I really like this show.
Parent Written bynayantarad July 26, 2015

Cute

Cute and all. It teaches about life, although it isn't true, and is entertaining.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 15, 2015
Parent of a 9 year old Written bynicole l. July 28, 2016

great love story

Adult Written bykatiebug82304 May 20, 2015

5 Stars

I am a kid, and I truly think this is a very adorable, cool sitcom. Dove Cameron does an amazing job acting two different characters with opposite personalities. It's funny, but I think it's probably aimed towards preteens. IT can make you laugh any day.
Parent Written byWillowWish December 30, 2014

Not Disney's Best Work-If They Have Any.

My daughter loves this show, but me, not so much. The first girl, Liv, is A blonde, ditzy girly girl who wears too much makeup, and spends about 3 hours a day getting dressed, resembles a Barbie doll in my opinion was a pop-star but she returns home to be with her twin sister Maddie: who is a normal teen girl who wears far less girly clothing, does good in school, and plays basketball. Then there's Joey- your typical nerd. Kids would obviously not want to be like this character, and think Liv or possibly Maddie is better, but in 20 years, the person who acts like Joey will have their own Video Game company and be making MILLIONS. This is why Disney needs a show that promotes brainy people! THEY are the future of America, not lip gloss wearing girly girls. I also don't know why every main character has a heavier set best friend. Let's take a look shall we? Good Luck Charlie: Teddy's best friend is Ivy. Gravity Falls: Mabel's best friend is Grenda. Then there's this show with Willow. Overall I thought this show had mild stereotypes, but on the bright side, the actors are great! It's amazing how Dove can play 2 totally different people and be good at it. This show has a pretty good message, that family is really important, too.
Adult Written bySweeteresting July 2, 2014

Zack & Cody Rip off, Bad Acting, Unnecessary plot-lines.

This show is a rip off of Zack & Cody. Blonde, twins don't get along but, love each other helplessly? Yeah, it's just a rip off but, Liv from the show is more dumb than Zack (Stereotype; Blonde girl stupid). Than, there's the terrible acting. Also, the stuff Liv gets into, is plain stupid.