All parent member reviews for Mad Men

Adult Written byterra100 April 9, 2008

great show for adults only

My husband and I have watched this show since the pilot episode. It is NOT for kids under 17 -- the messages are too complicated and mature. There's enough smoking to make you get lung cancer through the television! But that's all within the 1960 context -- actually everything is within that time period, including all the sexual behavior, harrassment, treating of women, etc. It is an excellent view of some demographics of the past, and really makes you think about the present and how people treat each other today. The show is mainly a character treatment, so you have to stick with watching episode after episode to fully enjoy the show.
Adult Written byJackla April 9, 2008

A Gift to intelligent parents

This is not a show for young kids, but it does seem relevant to teens who are adrift in the complexity of todays sexual landscape. The shock of the old gives perspective to girls who need to know how hard fought the battle was for feminism. And it's refreshing, although complex, for young men to understand what is appropriate, what is masculinity etc. I also feel that the show seems to elevate the discussion of sexuality and fidelity. The characters seem to be probing true human emotions and desires and still none of the actual interactions seems glib or shallow or girls gone wild. These people are tortured by their choices. My teens have downloaded it from itunes and I think it's caused a lot of discussion on those topics.
Adult Written byDon Draper February 3, 2013

Best show on TV

Obviously by my name you can tell that I love this show. This definitely isn't for kids and younger teens but older teens should be fine. It has a great cast (how Jon Hamm hasn't won an Emmy for playing Draper I'll never know) with excellent writing and characters even the sets and clothes are great making you feel like you're really looking into the 1960's.
Parent Written bylogicalboomer85 April 16, 2012

Brilliant Storytelling

This is an excellent show for Adults - very thought provoking and interesting storylines and characters that depict this era of the sixties pretty accurately - for better or worse.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byVlad19 April 4, 2010