All teen and kid member reviews for Merlin

Teen, 16 years old Written byJ-Yo June 30, 2011

A Force for Good.

Merlin is a show where magic is prominent- and I love it. It's an enthralling story of Arthur and Merlin in their early years and how traditional Arthurian legend came to be. The characters undergo a lot of complex changes, like how Arthur becomes less of a sarcastic prat, but Morgana is constantly lied to and becomes the infamous Morgana le Fey. One of the main lessons is that magic can indeed be a force for good. This is a tale about loyalty and friendship in their truest forms. Now that the final episode has aired, I cannot help but comment on how wonderful of a journey it's been. I love everything about Merlin– it has its cheesy moments, yes, but it's so much fun! Thank you, Merlin, for reinventing the legends to create something that is unique, refreshing, entertaining, and inspiring. This show is a force for good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byveils July 10, 2011

The Best Show, Just Watch It

Merlin is good old British television and if you read a lot of audience reviews, you'll read a lot of good things, at least I did. This show is amazing, it blew my mind and it was also my first British show. Yeah it doesn't follow the legend, big deal, if you want the legend read some books on it or watch movies like Excalibur. But Merlin hasn't abandon all elements of the legend and what's really nice is the fact that the writers attempt to break all stereotypes of the legend, for example Morgan le fay is portrayed as a strong woman who will eventually become evil. My favorite parts of the show are the actors, costumes, and sets. Yeah the effects are really bad but just ignore them and focus on the story. The show is addicting and it keeps getting better and better from the first episode. You will really get connected to the characters, for me, I fell in love with all of them. But just to warn you, season 3 is awful. I chose "12" because there is blood, swordfighting, romance, drinking, and language. I'm a bit confused as to why some people chose "7", "8", etc because the way it's filmed is not suited for kids and it does have elements kids shouldn't see like the blood and i do remember NBC having a TV-14 rating on certain episodes like gates of avalon, excalibur, the beginning of the end, etc. But Merlin is actually at it's best when it's more "mature"
Teen, 13 years old Written byChloe98 August 16, 2011

Absolutely fantastic!

I absolutely adore this show more than anything! It has amazing story lines full of magic, magical beasts, sword fighting and great characters! It brings you a new take on an old legend. There is violence but it's nothing to worry too much about. The language is absolutely fine and so is the romance.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJulia from Sweden November 13, 2010

Not a very good show. Has but one good actor.

A fresh take on the story, and buffy-style monsters would have made this show fun to watch, had it not been for the HORRIBLE script. Everything you see in this show has already been seen before in Smallville or Buffy (which, thanks to it's brilliant script, is probably the best show ever). The only thing raising Merlin from shame is anthony head's sometimes brilliant character portrayal. Besides that, it's just not worth watching. It's too similar to the extremely bad show "legend of the seeker". Watch Buffy or Harry Potter 2 instead.
Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2013

BEST T.V. SHOW!

The best T.V. show ever! They have four seasons on Netflix and all seasons for no charge on youtube. I think that many people will enjoy this show. Many episodes are very humorous! It's a little iffy for kids 8- but tweens and teens will especially love it! The only language is a rare D**n. There is little romance. But in one show there is a lot of "humorous" kissing . Nothing much though!
Teen, 14 years old Written byDragonRider5 July 17, 2013

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G

I love this show! It is in my top three favorites. The first episode dosn't really capture Arthur's true personality. The show is very clear on how pressure can effect one's personality and how Arthur really has a heart of gold. An example of this is found in The Poisoned Chalice and The Labyrinth of Gedref. There is quite a bit of violence but never shows anything that disturbed me, and I am a complete scardy cat. rarely any blood surprisingly. As for romance, there are a few love potions/spells and kissing but nothing terrible at all. Romance is actually not one of the main focuses. But I will say I cried in Queen of Hearts. :) The humor in the show is quite hilarious. I was watching the show on my laptop with headphones in and started bursting out laughing so hard I had to pause the show while I calmed down, trying to tell my sister I was O.K. ;) I highly recommend this show! I hope you have as much fun as I did! I only have 3 episodes left and I don't want it to end! :'(
Kid, 10 years old April 19, 2011

great!

this is age appropriate, but i chose 10+ because things can scare people under 10 and that it might be a bit too boring for under 10
Kid, 12 years old September 15, 2015

Okay show overall, hard to get interested in after watching some other titles

After watching some other titles, this is not the best show as far as television. At first Merlin is interesting, but it slowly gets less and less so. For a start, it's a great show, just don't watch it before you watch some of the other more popular shows. It's a great family show, not extremely intense, and does not include explicit content.
Teen, 13 years old Written byManyuTheReviewer August 10, 2015

A Morden Remix On The Age Old Tale

As I have said before, Common Sense needs to take more time with its reviewing. I believe that Merlin is a great TV show and that it has some great points. The show stresses the Code Of Chivalry especially for Arthur, to always help the needy. The show also stresses that no matter what evils does that good will win in the end. Granted ,Merlin does not make the best decisions, but he always wants to help people in his heart. Role Models are relatively infrequent in Merlin. Uther Pendragon is a tyrant. Merlin is rash and sometimes doesn't listen to his elders. Sometimes even the line between good and evil is blurred by those supposed to be good. However, both the characters, Merlin and Arthur, both are caring and want to help people. In short, Merlin is a fun and exciting series. Despite it not having overflowing postive messages and characters, people from all walks of life will enjoy this family -friendly tale.
Kid, 12 years old August 29, 2014

I love this show!

This is my favorite show ever! I love it, getting further into the show makes you want more. Its great and Arthur and Merlin get to be great role models 2nd season and up!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMerlinFan August 1, 2011

My favorite show!

This is my FAVORITE show! It's incredibly entertaining, ridiculously funny, and a great family show. Its so educational as well. I find myself wanting to read more about the Arthurian legend, and I am learning about so many characters. Violence is popular but not bloody, and usually more funny than scary. The charatcters (besides Uther and Morgana after season 2) show a kind heart and always do whats right. It's perfect for 11 and up, and probably even 10 year olds. Love it!!! *Colin Morgan (Merlin) is sooo hot!*
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovie_fan101 July 26, 2015

Magical series

Although it begins as a family friendly show, each season becomes increasingly darker and more violent. Good characters turn bad and seek revenge, it becomes very violent for a kids show and begins to develop a game of thrones like plot, with a fight between different people for their claim to the throne. Towards the end of the show characters get tortured and in one episode an old woman commits suicide to prevent being tortured for information. There is also poisoning and blood and dead bodies are shown. Perhaps common sense media should do another review factoring in the whole show, seasons 1-5.
Kid, 12 years old July 27, 2014

best thing that has ever happened

Its a great show and its not that scary (well maybe the last season...). I watched the first season when I was 6 soo good for the whole family=D
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2014

Merlin

Merlin is full of adventure and excitement, perfect for kids who've read things like Harry Potter and enjoyed it. Though at times there are some creepy creatures and scenes, but not too many. There are several large fights, but nearly no blood or gore.
Teen, 15 years old Written byChristian gurl July 26, 2011

nice and easy

the main problem, is violence( thats the only issue, and fights just come up once in a while), a few uses of "da*n and H*ll, otherwise, it's very entertaining, much less scary than harry potter. some characters (Trolls, monsters, etc.) might scare younger kids
Teen, 17 years old Written byChristianFandomLover November 11, 2015

Cheesy At Times But It Has Its Moments

This gripping fantasy comedy is good fun at its best- and horrifyingly bad at its worst. The acting is cheesy and the never wavering morals of some characters are unrealistic and a good sign that this is pinpointed towards younger crowds. But it still manages to be fairly amusing at times, especially later on as more characters were introduced, and the darkest episodes in Season 4 and 5 are spot-on. The characters do grow on you and the show hardly ever lags. Worth watching when you want light entertainment. Violence: Sword fighting and fantasy violence, but nothing much too worry about. Tweets should be fine, and even a younger audience wouldn't be bothered by the majority of this. Sex/Nudity: Some light kissing between couples, cleavage shown slightly in some dresses and a pretty bit of drama on occasion. Always rare and never over-the-top. Language: A few slight curses on occasion- mainly "hell."
Teen, 13 years old Written bymadelineroliver June 27, 2015

Great Show

Merlin is an amazing show with good acting and morals. Yet it may not be the best for younger children due to the prominent point of magic/witchcraft. There is also a decent amount of violence including but not limited to, sword fights to the death, dead coming back to life to murder, sorcerers using magic to hurt, torture, beheadings and so forth. But contrary to that there is a strong sense of morality as merlin and arthur are willing to sacrifice themselves for each other and others. There is also a decent amount of humor and no sexual content aside from a kiss or two. Merlin is an awesome show and I highly recommend it!
Kid, 10 years old October 25, 2014

Appropriate

some killing but no really showing blood, little beheading for using magic NEVER shows it.
Kid, 9 years old July 17, 2014

My Review on Merlin BBC.

There is a lot of comedy in the show, as well as adventure and drama. Some things can be scary or weird, or maybe creepy. But the show is very good and definitely good for fantasy lovers. There is a small amount of language that shows up quite rarely. But it's a good show and I recommend it! :)
Kid, 10 years old February 14, 2011

Love it!!!!!!

Omg I love this show!!!!! It's educational I never knew about king Arthur until I watched Avlon high (wich is about king Arthur and Camelot) then my dad told me about Merlin at first I thought eww I won't like this but I ended up loving it. There's some blood and violence but nothing bad. I totally recommend it!