Kid reviews for Neon Genesis Evangelion

Classic anime series is violent, introspective.

Kid, 9 years old August 20, 2019

Amazing but not to little children

It's has a little too much blood and a lot of eva and angel fights, but Shinji Ikari actually is a great character having to go through people dissapointed about him. Sometimes Shinji is shown naked which he always gets surprised so it doesn't matter too much. The ending may be weird to a lot of people though. I could tolerate the violence and sex at age 9 but it needs a little of improvement. It has great role models and some great messages with everyone saying congragulaions at the end and some other times. Beware of the violence, though.

Teen, 15 years old Written bykarma_the_weeb August 21, 2020

amazing and meaningful anime

while i do think that people should wait until they are a bit older to watch this show, it is because of the deeper meaning and messages in the anime that young veiwers would not understand,

it disgusts me how ignorant other reviewers are. i am mainly talking about a certain person named jeddy who called the show poorly written and made a fool out of themself.
i may be younger but even i am more mature.

Teen, 14 years old Written byWhere Is Adam September 9, 2020

A lot of deeper meanings.

This story is originally a way for the creator to express his feelings, and with that his depression. Evangelion is my favorite anime, but it does have deep messages such as, escapism, depression, sexual addiction, and has elements of nihilism as well. The overall message is actually a good one, it is that its better to live in a world of suffering, than to run away without knowing why. There is also nudity, but it is imo important to the story, and is almost never blatantly sexual.

Kid, 12 years old September 7, 2020

Confusing but amazing.

I know Evangelion because of Miyazaki, founder of Studio Ghibli. I went out to see if his good old friend, Hideaki Anno, created anything. I found this eventually and thought 'Hm, it does look interesting.' I wasn't wrong. One thing I particularly love about this anime is that it plays my favorite song Fly Me to the Moon as the ending. Claire and the others who sang it did a great job, theme song was also god tier, legendary. Good one Yoko.

However this anime had some sexual stuff, it showed some female chests and Shinji's juices, and there is also a gay character, but I don't think it's a bad problem.

Teen, 16 years old Written byThelitden September 2, 2020

Influential

This is honestly a deeply psychological anime that is really complex and tackles some really important issues

Kid, 12 years old August 23, 2020

GOD NO.

This anime will break you not even a kid show there is SSSOOOO much blood. And what it says about no nudity. THATS WRONG 100&
This anime is a psychological anime, that will fly over the kiddie winks heads. Also congratulations.

Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2020

A classic anime

Evangelion, oh evangelion, were should I even start, I love this show and if you or your child hasn’t seen this classic 90’s anime your probably living under a rock, this has some of the greatest animation I’ve seen in an early age anime and an incredible plot and incredible characters for an original anime, the last time i saw an original anime this good was angel Beats, and like angel Beats it’s pretty violent and a little gory sometimes and is also about fighting monsters called angels (sorry religious Martha you wouldn’t like anime anyway because this isn’t the first time this has happened) ok so if you read this and say “well I don’t think this is appropriate for my 11 year-old why is this such a Low rating”, and you would be right but hear me out, I don’t think age ratings matter it’s more of a maturity test, so about the sexual stuff, there is some cleavage on the Eva piloting suits and nudity (but not censored it’s more like the private parts were removed) and in one scene Shinji gropes rei’s breast (unintentionally) which is really just an anime cliche at this point, and there is one character (Misato) who seems to really like beer and I haven’t seen her drunk at all though so I Guess she can control herself with it, and there are also ash trays full of cigarettes but this was the 90’s they didn’t know how bad they were back then, and that’s all that’s bad, and there’s some bad language with a couple “damns” “craps” and “s***s”, so I’m going to finish on a good note, the intro is one of my favourites ever if you skip a cruel angel’s thesis it’s a war crime punishable by 3 years in prison where each day you are forced to watch one hour of the lucky star intro and death by blood loss after chopping of of all four limbs after chopping off all of you fingers and toes, anyway don’t do it

Teen, 13 years old Written bybrovid19 July 22, 2020

Changed my life.

Watching this changed my life and helped me rise out of almost a year of depression. My life had been difficult, and I could relate to the quiet and nervous protagonist. That being said, this show is all about one thing: Trauma. You absolutely should not watch this show or the movie with your kids, unless you are ready to have some meaningful conversations about it. That being said, I think it is appropriate for younger teens as long as they are not too bothered by the presence of blood and some violence. There is a lot of bloody, occasionally gory, scenes. There is some smoking and drinking but no drugs and the show portrays alcohol and cigarettes in a negative light. The show also shows many scenes where characters are very distressed, so I think some easily frightened people of all ages might want to avoid it. Overall, the show is very good, and I believe a mature and responsible child of 13 years or older may be able to handle it.

Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2020

Relatable and sad

I think this show is really good. I watched it after school ended while i was at my friend's house and liked it alot. I see myself in Shinji because my mom has always been very mean to me and shinji has to learn to be happy with himself. it made me realize that the way my mom treats me isn't right and since i watched it I've been a better person because of it. i have gained selfconfidence from watching this and that makes me happy. There is violence in this and it is scary but it is not that bad. There is also some inapproprate scenes. I think it would be good for people 14 years old but if your mature enough you could watch this when ur younger because it's helped me a lot. It is also very sad

Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeOtaku June 21, 2020

It's really good --- just for those that can understand it.

Note: I'm trying to make this review family friendly while still explaining what content is in the show, so do t be surprised if I use words like nipple or genitalia, there is not another substitute I can use for those words.
Evangelion is a show about humanity fighting these huge creatures called angels in giant robots called Evas, but that's only what it seems to be.
Evangelion really focuses on the characters in the show's mental states, which is one of the things that makes this show so good and special. It can be hard to understand and empathize with though if someone younger is watching, as why the characters do things because of their mental states and maybe just understanding where they are at mentally, as I wouldn't understand how these characters would feel at 9 years old.
There isn't really much graphic violence in the show, the most violent scene is when Eva 01 eats another angel, which really just shows blood and a bit of flesh being ripped into Eva's mouth, which isn't that bad, and I'm sure everyone in middle school and above could handle it just fine. Most other violent scenes involve the Eva's ripping off angel's limbs, which come off only with some blood. There is a lot of blood, but it is unrealistic and the only reason for the huge amount of blood is due to these creatures being gigantic.
Moving on to the sex, the sexual stuff in this show isn't graphic at all. Most scenes either cover up the privates (the females nipples, genitalia, and the male genitalia, the other parts of the breast are still shown) or just draw skin over them, except in the case of one scene where the nipples of a female are drawn but are the same color as the characters skin which is not detailed, and is not meant to be sexual at all. There is a sex scene, but it is off camera and only has a minute of suggestive sounds, and nothing is shown. The male characters can be pervy at times, even though they are just teenagers, but they live in Japan, meaning the age of consent is a lot lower which makes these things ok, which I would clarify to someone that doesn't know that.
Moving on from that, the show is really dark. The creator was severely depressed while making Evangelion and the characters have a lot of mental problems. Some characters who died before episode one have been shown to commit suicide. It is also the apocalypse and there is not much hope, which fused with other things, can be really depressing.
Also moving on from that, the story can get really confusing if you haven't analyzed everything, but luckily, there are people who have. It's not bad to research for a bit on things you don't understand, as most people don't on their first run. There is smoking but is just things some of the characters do which is absolutely normal and not focused on one bit. Beer is used as I would say as comic relief when Minato drinks it first thing in the morning, but it does not encourage drinking.
The ending is happy, but not quite satisfying if you don't know what happens, as most of the ending is super confusing. It ends of with a positive note about understanding your flaws and loving yourself.
Overall, Evanegelion is a great show that focuses on the psychological states of it's characters and has really good graphics for it's time, and has great character development and good action scenes. It really only deserves a TV-14 rating because none of it really touched a TV-MATURE rating, and is suitable for middle schoolers and up. (I left this out but the language in the show is only as bad as the language that would be used in a PG-13 movie, and profanity isn't used often).
Sorry if this whole review is jumbled and stuff like that --- this is my first review on the site and spent a lot of time righting it. Also Rei is best girl!
Bonus: End of Evangelion (because there is not a page for that yet)
End of Evangelion deserves an R rating. I'm not going to delve into it's plot or themes, because it and it's show's plot and themes are similar, only with this one being way darker.
Sex: The opening scene shows the female nipples which are colored in and detailed of a person in a coma, which someone masturbates to, and also includes the only F word, otherwise the language is really the same as in the TV show. There is also an image of female genitalia but it might be hard to notice because it is placed on a forehead and on hands, though i don't know the meaning of it (it doesn't have to do with sex). The whole movie is not afraid of showing full breasts and is not uncommon through the movie.
The violence is also toned up by a ton. An army of soldiers swarm an area and kill many people, which includes blood, gunshots, and bullet holes. The Eva fight contains Eva organs, like the guts or the brain, which is quite graphic and gory. The ending I won't spoil, as it is in my opinion the best ending out of the 2. End of Evangelion definitely deserves an R rating and parents should consider if they want kids seeing this stuff.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2020

My first REAL anime

I love this anime- Its amazing and the soundtrack is amazing. But its 100% not for younger children. I'm 11 myself but younger kids probably won't like certain scenes. For example, In episode 18 theres alot of blood and violence- And its real dark considering the teens piloting these things can feel all of it. End Of Evangelion starts off with an... interesting scene. (It's inappropriate lol) But other than that, Me and my parents love it.

Teen, 16 years old Written bylibralien June 2, 2020

Amazing, Tense, and Emotional

This show is definitely not to be watched by an 11 year old (because that's how old I was when I watched it) It can be very confusing with all of the symbolism and metaphors, but you can always watch explanation videos on YouTube.
Beware, there are quite a big of sexual themes and PLENTY of violence to go around :)) But it sure is a classic and you won't regret watching. Might leave you a little confused.
Netflix tried to censor a gay character, so make sure to watch it on any other anime website (I recommend Animeflix, Crunchyroll, or KissAnime)

Teen, 14 years old Written bythrowaway42 February 7, 2020

An Utter Masterpiece

It's an absolutely fantastic and realistic deconstruction and representation of the human condition withing 26 episodes and a movie. As someone who's struggles with Mental Health in the past, this show hits you straight in the gut. It's a deconstruction of popular tropes in anime, reeling people in with a generic story about kids in Giant Robots fighting aliens and saving the world, and then turns to a deep fraudian psychological horror. Every character in the show is fantastically complex and goes through a deep and complex arc throughout the show. Shinji is far from your typical Shonen protagonist too, he's cowardly, perverted and selfish, but he's REALISTIC. You can feel Hidiaki Annos soul in every moment of the show. In the end it leaves you feeling empty and cold, but with a feeling that you have the ability to change how your feeling, and change yourself for the better. For those in a stable mental state, you may find the show lackluster or boring, but for those who are going through an emotional rough patch, or are struggling, I cannot reccomend this series highly enough.

And if your watching the show, don't forget to watch The End of Evangelion, it's the actual ending as opposed to episode 26
Teen, 13 years old Written byFutureDiaryAyan... January 23, 2020
The original dub was definitely better, but this is pretty decent, too! A bit mature, sure, but I feel 12-year-olds can enjoy it! Just be warned that there is a minor, off-screen sex-scene and if you're homophobic, you may not enjoy Kaworu's character.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBellaDeL October 23, 2019

It’s a great anime and has good morals

Neon Genesis was one of the best shows I have ever watched. The basic plot is that there are these powerful entities called angels that are trying to destroy japan. There are kids selected to pilot EVAs and are called evangelists. There mission are to pilot the EVAs (robots) to fight the angels. There is a little bit of violence but it’s not like pointless violence it’s like super hero violence (good fighting evil to save the world) in one episode there is a sex scene but it doesn’t really show anything it just shows the nightstand and you hear the couple talking. The last 2 episodes are very deeply psychological and hard to understand for younger children. If your kid is watching the Netflix edition this next part doesn’t apply to you because Netflix cut these scenes. In the 3rd to last episode there is a gay relationship that was so powerful it made me cry. It was one of the best parts of the show.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCorgi idiot August 27, 2019

great anime

Just a bit violent

Teen, 16 years old Written byAnimeDokku July 25, 2019

Great anime, but...

it does have some iffy content, which include swearing, sexual content, and violence. In the intro, some female characters appear nude, and in the actual show, there is one make out session, and nude characters, but nothing sensitive shown. As of for the violence, it can get graphic, from word fights, to bones breaking and pools of blood.
The swearing doesn't go further than a few s-words, but this can have good role models, because the pilots have to go through life or death situations, but are doing it to protect all of Japan.
I'd say that people 15+ watch this