All teen and kid member reviews for Orange Is the New Black

Teen, 13 years old Written byMegan0101 July 19, 2013

NOT FOR KIDS

I saw a trailer for this a while ago. Now seeing that it was on Netflix, I decided to give it a try. In the first scene there were. Lesbian couple taking a bath together. Shows nudity. Second scene is where she's in prison done taking a shower. She bends over to wrap her hair up in a towel and in the shot you can clearly see her breasts. In my opinion, it is not for children or teen. At this age you should not be seeing anyone in your life or on tv naked. Although the drama and suspense is incredible as well as the plot, as far as apropriateness goes, it's horrible.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypollohermano5. June 20, 2015

Orange Is the new Black

To start off, people need to know that oitnb is one of the best tv shows out right now...if you have yet to see it, go watch it. It is truly unbelievable (I finished season 3 literally 10 minutes ago). Being 14, I think you should be 13 to watch Orange. Yes, it has bad language. Yes, it has sex. Yes, it has drugs. But by the time a child is 13, they know everything already, and if they aren't watching through Orange, they are definitely watching it or seeing it through something else, and that I know, no matter how much you think you know your child. You just have to make sure your teenager, or younger, is mature enough, and almost all by the age of 13 are. Parents don't realize how comfortable there kids are by 13, and think they still don't get dirty sex jokes and all that jazz. But we do. As long as your kid doesn't, for example, giggle when they see boobs or someone says boobs, they are fine. People make a much bigger deal about language and sex than they should. It's a part of life...why are you trying to hide it?
Teen, 16 years old Written bydevin.stormzilla June 11, 2014

Sex Sex Sex

Why they need to make women get naked for this movie is beyond me. Tell the story, don't prostitute the actresses. The fact that little kids are watching this blows my mind. Become a parent and dont let kids watch this!
Teen, 15 years old Written byrpsrascal October 15, 2013

how mature is your child>

while there is lesbian sex literally every 5 minutes, it has a very intriguing plot line, and the constant nudity isn't a huge issue.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAriana507 October 11, 2014

BEST SHOW ON NETFLIX.

I'm fourteen years old and I love this show. I'm way to young to watch it, but my mom is fine with it and I often watch it with her, she loves it too. This show is a comedy. But it has a lot of sex, cursing, and drugs. The main character piper, is in prison for smuggling heroine. There is a lot of lesbian sex, then there is also sex with piper and her fiancé, and other men and women having sex. VERY DETAILED. This isn't scary at all, but sometimes has depressing and sad parts. One person is hung in the first season, in the second season finale a person is hit with a car, which could be frightening or scary to some. There is a few fights.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySybTaco August 21, 2014

Great! For mature audiences.

OINTB (orange is the new black) is a great show. Amazing actors, plot, and writing. The cast is very talented, the concept of the show has many lessons about life, and the writing flows perfectly to keep you on the edge of your seat. I started watching this, I'm 13. But, I know not all kids or teens can watch more mature shows. The show includes nudity, frequent swearing, and lesbian/straight material (sexual scenes) it only shows breast and behinds nothing else. However the story revolves around drugs, except unlike most shows, it's not encouraging about drugs. In fact, I believe it can teach the consequences of drugs. Piper (main character) was in love with a female drug dealer, and carried the drug money for her. 10 years later, she went to prison for it. Even though it was 10 years ago. She was charged about a year, and the show is about her year in prison. It also includes other inmates stories which also include lessons. The show is inappropriate, but great for teens and adults. The best part it's based on the true story of Piper Kerman. The show is her about her actual year in prison. I wouldn't reccomend 10 and under (or even 12 or 13 year olds) but above that if they can handle watching inappropriate shows without being encouraged then overall it's a great and funny show to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Tv Addict September 25, 2014

Amazingly done show has lots of "sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll"

This show has lots of lesbian sex and some drug use. Actually a lot of kids my age watch this show but it is definitely R rated. There is actually lots of positive role models showing feminism, heroine, and etc. This show is a very well written show and recommend it to any one 13+.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhagrid21 June 8, 2014

New favorite show!

After downing Season Two this weekend, OITNB has truly proven itself as a highbrow dramedy. Though there can be nudity, sexual situations, and strong violence and language, the show is so real and relatable. And that's where it gets you. Also, the fact that an 8 year old wrote a review on this show is insane. Nice parenting.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytylerkippert September 22, 2013

Hilarious Comedy About Prison Also Has Heart

Orange is the New Black is a comedy about a woman's time spent in a prison. This show is strictly for mature audiences only. Since it's on Netflix, they can get away with practically anything on this show. Every curse word you can think of is uttered. Violence isn't too frequent, but when it is, it's graphic (regular prison fights, one graphic fight that has teeth and blood shooting out one's mouth). The sexual content is heavy for sex scenes are shown in and out of prison. Drugs are a main theme in this show mainly because that's how people got in prison. Illegal drugs are imported into the prison and prisoners find ways around getting alcohol. Overall, this is an excellent show. Highly recommended- but viewer discretion advised
Kid, 12 years old August 18, 2014
LOTS OF LESBIAN SEX. Lots of nudity. Many swear words. Greta plot. Great characters. You must be mature to watch this!
Teen, 16 years old Written byJustLiveLife July 4, 2014

Maturity and Awareness are Key

The show has an AMAZING plot line and every single character is incredibly developed and thought out. I could not stress how much I recommend the show - to those who are able to take it. Obviously there is strong language, nudity, etc. as should be expected. Children raised by parents who did not allow any of this and did not teach their child that bad words and sex exist should probably not venture into this side of television. I'm sure Disney Channel has some lovely shows for them. As a 16 year old - this being the age I am and the age I watched it first - I've seen quite a few r-rated films, most notably the American Pie series which is one of my favorite comedy film series in existence. My parents know this show exists and are aware that I watch it, while neither has seen it, but my sister, who is 26, and her husband are big fans of the show and I have watched it in her presence. In all honesty, unless you or your child has been raised under a rock, there isn't much to be afraid of. Teenagers know this stuff exists. So long as you're aware that this is what you're getting into when you start watching the show, it's absolutely, 100% worth it to watch and I'm sure you'll love the plot and characters. P.S. As I've marked "great role models" I'm going to explain the fact that even though they are in a women's prison - so the characters aren't all "great" role models, the idea behind it is that - especially for girls who know the boundaries - they are very strong women characters for the most part and even outside of that the actresses are all amazing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byeloisep16 June 26, 2014

Not for younger kids, but absolutely amazing

I love this show, it's hilarious and heartfelt. But there is a lot of nudity, and sex, and language, and some violence. But if your kid or you are mature, it's no biggie. It's a really great show with a positive portrayal of LGBT+ characters, which is sadly pretty rare. It's well worth a watch.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAndersenMurray12 January 22, 2016

Cannot watch for 3 minutes without questioning.

I'm 14 and the show clearly is rated TV-MA. I made the mistake of watching the first episode and I started to wonder. Why is there so much nudity? I was only 30 seconds in and there was a lesbian couple bathing together, showing full breasts. Not going to watch, even though it was funny. I could probably handle this except I choose not to waste my time on a show based around nudity. Do NOT watch this show under 17, as for the rating is true to its being.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLooks_blue_tastes_ July 7, 2014

Pause

Pause get to know your child me and my mother watch this together if your child's mature enough let them enjoy this show it has some role models but also a lot of drugs not a lot of drinking some smoking but a lot of sex lesbian sex sex and a gay sex scene
Teen, 14 years old Written byNetflixIsLifeBitch August 18, 2015

Best show ever

This show is amazing, I really like it. Piper is bae and so is everyone else. It's good for anyone mature, language, nudity or sex doesn't bother me. Also should it matter if they're lesbian, or that Piper is bi? Real world things, people should just learn to be mature and deal with it.
Kid, 12 years old August 12, 2016

Kids know more then adults think.

I've seen lots of reviews on here about how this is inappropriate for even teenagers. But I think parents should take a step back because you don't realise that kids know a lot more than you think. For example, I'm only 12 but I think OITNB is great! I may pause it if my mum comes in the room because of the language, but it's not going to make me start swearing. As for the sex and nudity, it's not more than I or any teen doesn't know and it's not exactly going to disturb or effect me. There's not much violence except for some suspenseful fights and the rare death, but nothing scary. As for content, as I said, it has an amazing story line with well thought out characters, and has lots of dark humour as well as emotional scenes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCupcakeStar February 25, 2014

Great Show, But Too Much Sex

I love this show, it's interesting and addicting. The story is amazing and hilarious. The way they add pop culture references is funny. However it is inappropriate. I shouldn't be watching it but once you see one episode you cant go back. There is allot of lesbian sex scenes, but it adds conflict and interest. They also talk about sex allot too If you are a teen looking at these comments to see if you should watch it with your parents DO NOT. I repeat DO NOT. Or if you are a parent reading this wanting to know if you should allow you child to watch it, you probably shouldn't intill they are AT LEAST 15
Teen, 14 years old Written byCharisLia September 13, 2014

Best Show For A While

This TV show is really good, and to be quite frank, it isn't as bad as people make out, it is a good show, with an intriguing plot and sort of relatable characters, and although there is nudity and swearing, I can guarantee that most kids aged 14 will have heard all of this stuff before.
Teen, 15 years old Written byElliewest777 May 4, 2015

Amazing

DEFINITELY NOT FOR KIDS. There is occasional nudity, sex, and profanity but it's an awesome show. Super hilarious, dynamic characters, and a unique storyline. It's a must watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byx.o._.x.o August 30, 2016

For mature minds, but can be for different ages.

So I personally love this show. Yes it does have mature content, however, I am 13 but have grow up with only people older than me. So I've grow to be more mature then most people my age. Yea it does show nudity. But it's not like we've never seen them in tv, movies, and other media. Also all/most children have seen their mothers nude. Wether that's breast feeding or whatever. We will all see it at some point. I've seen myself what's the difference. They're older? They're more mature body wise? But just I don't think it's a big deal. Its not horrible. People ages ago didnt even have clothes, people, children, everyone saw everyone nude! Its not like it's any different. That's all I have to say. I how you see the show a little different and this helped you.