Parent reviews for Outer Banks

Slick teen mystery drama series is an edgy guilty pleasure.

Parent of a 12, 13, and 14-year-old Written byOwen14 April 26, 2020

Outstanding

This series is a gripping and highly entertaining show that I would recommend to anyone over the of of 11-12. Outside some swearing and occasional kissing scenes, that do not escalate past that, it is an amazing show that is extremely well-written with a very good plot. There is a good amount of drinking and drug use, but not too overwhelming and one character resists it and does not cave to his surroundings. This show had me on the edge of my seat at some points and begging to watch more!
Adult Written bykarensmith.79 April 23, 2020

great

I recently finished this show with my 12 year old daughter and we both loved it. There are a few kissing scenes but nothing escalated. There are drugs being consumed but if your kid knows what's right and what's wrong then they shouldn't have a problem with it. Most kids are already exposed to those types of things, so it really depends on the parents and what they want their kid to see/be exposed to. Over all I think this show is great and perfect for anyone in the teens.
Adult Written byChachismom May 6, 2020

Not for younger kids

So when asking myself if a movie is appropriate there are different sorts of concerns. This movie isn’t graphic or hard to watch in the Tarrintino sense or a horror movie. But there are a lot of reasons not to have your younger kids watch. Lots of punching each other’s teeth out. People hit with golf clubs over and over again, kicked in the face etc . People are shot at- and the Young under age protagonists obtain A gun early on. There are good themes in here but these kids hide from and avoid their worried parents - there’s a lot of “you wouldn’t understand” as a running theme. There are good friendships but really stupid choices.Police are not turned to for support/not trusted. The protagonists use casual drugs some - but not insanely - and one fellow is shown as having fallen into their control- which I suppose is a constructive message. You think it’s going to be a kid centered movie- because the bad guys are so broadly written you think it’s Disney 1990. But then there is fight after fight - lots of bloody faces, the protagonists rip off a drug dealer in there somewhere lol. Not family friendly imho. My fifteen year old has seen much worse- but my 13 year old - this was more than we normally do and we talked about how she felt there was more cocaine use and fighting than she normally watches

Adult Written bystrictparent103 May 16, 2020

SUITABLE FOR ANY AGE ABOVE 9

i watched it with my three kids. my nine year old, eleven year old, and my 14 year old. they all loved it. i found that it was not inappropriate. a few alcohol scenes. that was about it. good messages. amazing storyline. i feel like it is very appropriate and fun to watch. a few kiss scenes, but does not get too sexual. little to no violence. except for one fist fight.

Adult Written byAmanda C. May 4, 2020

Not sure why it’s rated TV-MA

There are a few images of dead bodies that have wounds, but the violence, drug use (drinking, marijuana and minimal cocaine by the “bad guys”) and kissing is the same level I’ve seen in other TV-14 shows. They talk about sex but don’t show it. The violence can be a little intense at times (fighting), but it isn’t gruesome (some blood from noses etc.). The swearing isn’t over the top and there are good underlying themes of friendship, social injustice, and standing up for what you believe. There is family friction rather than family support in a lot of the story line, though. My husband and daughters (11 and 13) enjoyed it, as did I! Lots of action, adventure and interesting characters. My husband loves action movies, so it was good to have something keep his interest along with ours.
Adult Written byNatjaylex April 22, 2020

So far so good

If you tell your kids about drugs and alcohol and they understand how bad they are the show is pretty good I haven't seen anything inappropriate sexually and I feel like my 14 year old would totally understand the right and wrong from the show overall I think it's a pretty good show for teens to watch.

Adult Written byHockeyBoy52 May 13, 2020

not as bad as this website makes it seem

this show is an amazing story with a very good storyline and a well written plot. aside some swearing and kissing scenes this show is great for kids who are into treasure hunts and/or action dramas. there is some smoking, drinking and cocaine usage, but not nearly as much or nearly as bad as this website makes it seem. kids the age of 12+ or even mature 10 or 11 year olds could watch this show and they would love it. it keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time!

Adult Written bymichellebrooks May 4, 2020

Adult Written bykfrank5 May 19, 2020

Amazing!

this show does have a little bit of sex and drinking. it has a lot of swearing. by age 9 kids should hear the swear words and know your not supposed to repeat them. kids see adults drinking and they know that they can't drink that till there 21. with the sex, there is very minimal. I think this is a great show that has more entertainment them inappropriate.

Adult Written bysw101 April 23, 2020
Adult Written byKalakiwiuwu June 1, 2020

The best

Everyone saying things over age 12 are Karen’s. There were people saying “17+ because they were showing people drinking” or “they said the f word too many times” but no. Like have you ever heard a modern day song? The most inappropriate thing I’ve seen so far is people kissing. It’s very good and has a well thought out plot. 11/10 recommend

Adult Written byTseverikova May 30, 2020

Mystery, Murder, Friendship and Romance

I love this show. The storyline is very interesting, and the characters are captivating. The main characters live life with a tight bond of friendship; the kind we all wished we had. No technology, no money, yet they are the ones who seem to live the best life. However, each character has a conflict: abuse, high expectations, denial, and trying to fit in. Despite this, their friendship remains true.

Adult Written byLosersclub3 May 19, 2020

PLEASE READ

So outer banks is absolutely amazing!!! I would say this show is for 14 and up because there is a lot of drugs and cursing. The sexual content isn’t bad but if you are okay with your kids hearing about blow jobs and circle jerks then this show would be fine for your kid. Also the violence is frequent and lots of fighting among teens and shooting, (plenty of blood) But most of it is just fun and teens going wild. AGAIN I TOTALLY RECOMMEND THIS SHOW ITS AMAZING!!! Thx for reading I hope this helped.❤️

Adult Written byFlasheroo May 18, 2020

Very good show for middle school and up

My 11 year old daughter and I are half way through the series. It’s not at all what we expected based on the reviews. It’s smartly written with a gripping plot and very good acting. As the show progresses there are more positive messages and character building. Lots of underage drinking/drugs/swearing for sure but if you keep watching the episodes the characters build and it becomes clear what was “cool” in the beginning becomes less and less cool, and it actually makes sense and is pretty realistic. This is basically a teen action drama with excellent writing and acting.
Adult Written byMiasmith1984 May 14, 2020

10/10 RECOMMEND IF YOUR CHILD IS 13+

I just finished watching the series Outer Banks with my 13-year-old for her birthday. It includes some violence and drugs but if your child is 13+ it is fine by the time they are this age they should know right from wrong and if they are 13+ they will be fine watching this show. So apart from the mild drug use and violence this is a great show because it teaches kids the importance of sticking together and finding good. Friends that will help each other no matter the circumstance. It also has great hidden messages (a good moral) and role models. I very highly recommend this if your child is 13+ because they will definitely enjoy it.

Adult Written byCandaceE May 13, 2020

Such a great show!

This show has a great mix of suspense, mystery, thrill and action. The plot is perfect, and the drama is so good! My eyes were glued to the TV whole season!

But, it is pretty intense at times. The f-word is used many times when characters are freaking out and shocked. There are quite a bit of fighting scenes, but nothing too bloody... There's punching, hitting, guns a few times, kicking, and scolding, bullying, and a little obsessive behavior (but not in a creepy sense, just very passionate, driven people). One main character is abused by his father, but he eventually stands up to him which I loved!

No sex scenes, just some makeout sessions. I hope they keep it this way.
There is drugs use. I'm glad that they didnt glorify it in any way because the characters on drugs are really messed up and there's no way you'd want to do drugs from watching them. A female character leaves her boyfriend and group of horrible friends for a better group of friends.

There is one scene at an old ladies house that was a horror-ish scene that was a few minutes long.

Overall Great show! Even though there are fighting scenes, cussing and drug use, I love that the main plot isn't about that.

I would definitely talk with my teenagers throughout the show about what is okay, what is not okay, and what to do in situations presented on Outer Banks.
Adult Written bygabrielreyna2 May 11, 2020

Very good show.

I can't wait to see the next episode.

Adult Written byHbfrench19 May 9, 2020

I loved this show! Can’t wait til season 2

I love this show! It really shows the love of friendship! It shows how much friends would do to protect one another!