Parent reviews for Primal

Primal Poster Image

Too much graphic violence for a 14+

Given that CSM removed my review from public viewing, I'll try to make a more constructive review. This website gives this show a 14+ rating, and includes a warning to take it seriously, which is unusual. Violence here is usually pervasive, bloody and sometimes extreme and sadistic, with some scenes scary even for an adult. There is an episode where a dinosaur is infected by a virus, its skin starts melting, acts erratically and becomes very violent. Season 2 contains violence towards humans, with episodes where humans become very aggressive and kill other humans in very brutal and gory ways. Many episodes are rated TV-MA for a good reason, and even the TV-14 ones can get very intense. The show has no dialogue, although one episode actually features understandable language and uses "bastard" once. Season 2 also has a very brief "sex" scene (consent is not very clear though). In my opinion, this show has little substance apart from bloody violence and shock value, even storywise. I can't recommend it to anyone under 17.

Was already won over from the start

Just from the first episode, I felt more emotional toward this than any other show I've seen. They get so much done in just one episode alone without any dialog. But what makes this series beautiful in its own right is how brutally realistic it is. It really showcases just how harsh and cruel the world can be, but there is always this sense of hope after everything that happens. The connection between the main leads is handled so expertly. They have their moments of tension but they also have this great camaraderie. While this may not be my favorite of Tartakovsky's works, it's still amazing and if you're old enough, I can't recommend it enough. Seriously, give this series a go.