Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Raising Dion

Supervillain violence, bullying in excellent family drama.

Adult Written byLena S. October 7, 2019

Great story... unexpected details.

Raising Dion is a smart and interesting show for anyone who appreciates super heroes and sci-fi. 8 episodes in I’m a little surprised to see a lesbian couple introduced and the question “did you sleep with him?” in a show rated PG. My kids are young and these are things I did not expect to address with my littles in a show about a superhero kid. Great show, but better suited for older kids.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bysah777 October 14, 2019

Gets horribly more violent/scary as progresses...

Starts off good/fun, but gets really scary/violent as it goes on. Many murders by a monster shown. The final episode shows something like a demonic possession of a young child. Has lesbians. Recommend avoiding unless you like really scary things - we don't!

Adult Written byPollymiss2 October 15, 2019

Inappropriate for Kids

They wait until episode 7 to introduce a Lesbian couple. Really, in a kids show?? Episodes get darker. Not for kids.

Adult Written byUKBajan October 22, 2019

Great family series!

The comments about sexual innuendo are overplayed; children are taught much more at school. It portrays the love between Dion's parents very positively. Some Disney films have more sexual content.

It deals with racism and disability very positively. We can't wait for the next series!

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bySimon R. October 24, 2019

Netflix rate this as 7 plus !! no way! It's great though.

This is a great series, but too disturbing for kids - teens only.
It has genuinely scary ghosts, almost everyone the main kid cares for dies or turns evil, there are on-screen deaths and lingering views of clearly dead people (who 'we' were close to).

That said, it's a great series for the right age group, and adults too - I loved it. However, the fact that this is available to my 8 year old on his Netflix login is deeply not OK. Can't wait til Disney's streaming service, Netflix is not to be trusted with my kids.

Adult Written byMom of two kiddos October 20, 2019

Great family entertainment, very fresh and realistic

I totally disagree with parents who say this series is too violent or sexual. As a superhero show, you have to expect some battles and none are too scary. Unless your child is really afraid of lightening and thunderstorms (giving a bit away here) you should be fine. And personally I think it’s offensive that some folks are bothered by the lesbian scene. The two women cuddle on a bed and maybe share one chaste kiss. That’s it folks! It was a perfect opportunity for me to briefly discuss homosexuality with my 10 yo son. He agreed that it’s no big deal and we kept watching the show. (Sadly the attitude of being disturbed by the scene says more about the parents writing the reviews than anything else.) The scenes showing the handicapped girl are another opportunity to discuss how they just want to be appreciated for who they are. Finally, the show should be given props for the overall diversity including a strong black cast in heroic roles! And the acting in this series was fabulous. The creators did an excellent job with dialogue and creating very realistic everyday scenes. The show was very entertaining and really fun to watch. I was not expecting the twist at the end! Highly recommend. :)

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byElizabeth B. November 3, 2019

Love, love, love

Dealing with disabilities and bullying is very relevant to my children’s lives. They’ve watched other superhero shows before, so the violence in this seemed extremely tame. It can get intense, but mostly this show allowed us to have excellent conversations about inclusion, racism, and the importance of family in all its different forms.

Adult Written byAdam S. October 23, 2019

Good for Netflix!

I have to say that I was SO happy to have a series that was interesting, engaging, and not TV-MA full of nudity and sex. I have seen reviews being critical of the series as "standard TV broadcast fare," but I wanted to put in my two cents advocating for more shows like this.

There are some intense parts, but overall I liked the messages and the story provides some good opportunities to discuss what it is like being raised by a single parent, having disabled friends, losing someone you love, etc. Highly recommended.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byJMPakele October 21, 2019

Don’t be fooled when it comes up as a match on Netflix for your kiddo.

So, this came up as a 99% match for my kid on Netflix. We’ve only watched the first episode and I was freaked out! I won’t allow my 9 year old to continue it because to me, it’s creepy!
Adult Written bymneil5888 October 20, 2019

Adult show. Not for kids

I really like this show but I definitely don’t agree with the rating of TV-PG. In episode 7 there was a lesbian couple scene. There are also some scary scenes throughout with the lightning man.

Adult Written byNelles45 October 19, 2019
Not appropriate for younger kids.
Adult Written bySrspashly October 17, 2019

Too scary for under 13

We only watched 2 episodes. We felt it was too scary for our kids that were under 13.
Adult Written byVictory001 October 17, 2019

An EXCELLENT story with a plot that can easily be followed!

Very creative storyline!!!

Not happy about the lesbian relationship to be displayed on a kids show.

Other than that, the roles are good!

Adult Written byGLHoover October 10, 2019

Great for neuro-diverse kids!

My 9, almost 10 yr old daughter discovered this and she and I watched the first episode together. We were both immediately hooked! The story lines of Dion as an obvious "non typical" kid being thrust into a new school, struggling with family issues, friends and bullies and was very relatable to our family. As a parent, I love the diverse cast and the emphasis on science, education and creativity. And the soundtrack is also fun! Our whole family is looking forward to continuing the series.

Adult Written bybheathain October 8, 2019
Adult Written byIcantbelieve October 7, 2019

Teaches Racism

Other than obvious no tallent and bad acting, this show gets racist by the third episode in first season: Dion's MOTHER tells her child that the reason why Dion got into trouble at school with the Principle is as result of his skin color because he is black. No, she doesn't "imply" it, she says it bluntly. Then she continues giving the worst advice ever as a parent to a child. This show is predictable, the acting is very baaaad, and the messages are not the best.
Adult Written byimska November 13, 2019

Netflix needs to readjust its age rating

I couldn't finish episode 1 to realize that this TV series was inappropriate for kids my daughter's age, she is turning 9. Some 9 year old could be ready for this, but I have tried my best to not expose my children to too much violence on TV, and the appearance of ghost and the trees and the near drowning experience in the first episode was enough for me to decide.

Adult Written byFeliciaRH November 11, 2019

NEED A SEASON 2

This show is amazing! A lot of the bad comments say that the mom and Dion characters are boring or that the tale of racism was unfair to white people. In my opinion, I dont think the racist principle stood for all of the "white people". He stood for the people who still havent changed their ways and, as a white person who still goes to school, I cam confidently say that racism still happens. I think it was an important talk Nicole and Dion had. I also think that Dion is a great character, I think the person who plays him really represents the age group. Someone said that "8 year-olds are more capable", but I disagree, I feel like he really shows us that he is a normal 8 year-old. He can be boring, he can be frustrating, but...that is what an 8 year-old is. The show is amazing and I didnt even see who the villian would be. I am in awe, I could find no loose end that wasnt tied up, even Brayden who was introudced in the middle of the series. I CANT WAIT for season 2 and I really hope that is made. This show is worth the watch and needs more hype!! Its also amazing seeing this story from a single-moms point of view. Its hard raising a child alone...even without superpowers and I cant wait for more. PLEASE MAKE A SEASON 2 NETFLIX

Adult Written byJessascroggs November 10, 2019

Can’t wait to see the next season

I think this show is very creative. I sat down and watch it with my family my eight year included and we all loved it. It was something new and fresh.

Adult Written byLyntana November 10, 2019

So far its good

Its just like most superhero movies just with a twist, instead of it being based on men saving the world it's a little boy with powers, and a strong hearted mother who will stop at nothing to keep her child safe. Me and my 11 year old love it so far