All teen and kid member reviews for Reign

Teen, 17 years old Written bylotrlove October 19, 2013

Inaccurate, over-sexualized, and frankly just corny

I'm a teenage boy okay, so mushy period dramas are not my thing, but I gave Reign a try for one reason: Anna Popplewell. Yes the actress of the Narnia movies is like the love of my life, so I watched it for her. Looking back that probably wasn't a good idea. Parents should know that this show is built on sex. Francis is sleeping around with some mystery woman who we see start to undress. The girls watch a marriage consummation with freakish interest that leads one to masturbation and an eventual sexual encounter with a married man. Also, Mary is nearly raped in an attempt to ruin her engagement. That aside I could go on about the violence, brief language, and horrible historical inaccuracies, but why bother. The show is just plain inappropriate. It teaches that casual sex is okay and that betrayal is necessary. Anna should've stayed in Narnia
Teen, 13 years old Written byNatRosy November 11, 2013

Good, but inaccurate

I think this show is very entertaining. It is not very close to the actual story of Mary Queen of Scots but it is an interesting take on it. There are it's flaws though. For one thing, there is a lot of infidelity and sex, probably more than there should be. Also this show is very historically inaccurate. There are a lot of simple time period flaws in the show that take away from the educational value of the story of Mary Queen of Scots.
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2015

A teen-friendly version of Game of Thrones

This show is by far one of the best shows I've ever seen! It's full of political intrigue, with plot twists at every turn and lives are constantly at risk, and you can never tell what will happen next! The old-timey royalty reminded me a bit of HBO's Game of Thrones, but without half the sex, language, and violence. Mary Stuart (a.ka. "Bloody" Mary) is not portrayed as "bloody" at all, but as an inspiring female lead who must do what is right for her country while trying to follow her heart. I say this show is appropriate for everyone ages 12 and up, because I am 12, and I could not have asked for a better fit!
Teen, 16 years old Written byNaids Bowen May 12, 2014

Its good, but...

I've only recently started watching Reign, and, in my opinion, I find it an enjoyable show, (despite being historically inaccurate). I admit I'd prefer it if it had fewer sex scenes (they seem to over-do it quite a bit and I don't recommend it for younger viewers). The politics are intriguing, but everything in the end comes back down to a girl's virtue, who slept with who, the king's mistress, the battle between Francis and Sebastian (the kings two sons) and their fight for Mary, Queen of Scots. Loyalty is slack, honour is rare, and violence is graphic and often unnecessary. I admit, though, the show is oddly addictive. Many compare it to Vampire Diaries. I find them about the same, all in all. I recommend it for at LEAST 15 and up. 16, if you want to play it safe.
Teen, 17 years old Written byag1093 December 5, 2014

Inappropriate and pointless

I saw this show on Netflix and decided to give it a try. I love the time period and love stories with complicated situations that the time period expressed in reality, such as arranged marriages only to determine whose allies with which country with the fascination to see if they found love in the end. What about this show wouldn't I like??? So I gave it a try. Violence doesn't bother me so I knew that that would not be an issue. As I started watching everything was sexualized. Within just the first episode, which is all I watched and plan on watching, you find out that the man Mary is engaged to marry is sleeping with another girl, who you see reveals her shoulder to him in his bed quarters. This was suggestive but not relatively awful. I mean it was only a shoulder. Also Mary and the ladies in waiting attend a wedding where they sneak after into the viewing of the bedroom quarters of the bride and groom. You watch as the couple begins to moan and ultimately has sex. The girls run off and separate which leads one girl into a secret place every she starts to masturbate. She is stopped in the middle by a married man, who had already had mistresses down in public with him, who proceeds to do the favor for her. Also a man sneaks into Mary's bed with her and tries to rape her to consider herself unclean for Mary to marry the Prince. I think could have been a terrific show without all the sex. Everything about it interested me until I watched it. Honestly,I think that teens should not be watching this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKelly-Noelle March 12, 2014

Not historically accurate, but addictive!

This show may not be historically accurate, but it's a great show. I am 13 and love this show. I think that tweens and teens who are mature enough will also really enjoy it. The show has little swearing but it does have some sex scenes. Nothing to bad but a little racy, also violence is on the show. At times you do see blood . It also has some drinking.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKayley_0202 August 28, 2016

It's a good program ...

I would recommend this to 13 year olds that are mature because there are quite a lot of sexual scenes. I have watched it and I love it, it isn't that accurate but I find it entertaining. It gives you more of an insight to what people's lives were like back then more then the facts about Mary, Queen of Scots and her time as queen. There are quite a few violent scenes but overall I found the series very enjoyable.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysandra456 August 10, 2016

Historical Fiction

I stumbled upon this show when I was looking for a new show to watch. The first episode was fine and I loved the supernatural aspect of the show so I kept going and I'm glad I did. I hate shows with too much sex and Reign was fine for me. The show isn't really historically accurate so if you are really into that... to bad. I'm not a huge expert but the beautiful gowns fasinated me. It was really interesting to see a glimpse of life back then. I loved the cast choice, Kane, Follows, Coombs and Regbo make a great team. As any teen girl I enjoyed the love triangle and found myself rooting for both brothers. Mary is portrayed as a headstrong and a disobedient young girl who quickly adapts to life at the French Court and grows into a powerful, independent yet kind queen. The show deals with violence (12+) and more private issues such as rape. There is plenty of lying and backstabbing but we do see love, honour and true friendship. The show is gripping and heartbreaking and definitely worth a try :)
Teen, 16 years old Written bybethanyc02 June 23, 2016
Teen, 13 years old Written byJosieisawhovian March 19, 2016

Amazing Show

This show is really good. Although the show doesn't really accurately show what really happened, the show made me want to learn more about the actual people. I think that it is a little bit inappropriate at times but you if it bothers you, you can always just fast forward through bad scenes. it's still a really good show though and I love it. I think Mary and Francis are sooo cute together and it just makes me really sad that the real Francis had to die two years after his marriage to Mary. Why did Catherine de Medici have to have sick children. Anyways it's a great show that I am completely obsessed with. Ever since I watched the show I have spent hours researching Mary, Francis, and other members of the show. You should really watch this show it is interesting and awesome.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDGFU100 February 21, 2016

Ok show

The show is very historically inaccurate . There is a bit of violence and a bit of sex. There is the odd bit of swearing but not much. Quite a lot of people around my age watch it
Kid, 11 years old November 1, 2015

I love it

It's awesome.I started watching it on netflix and now on tv.I've seen it a million times.I'm 11 and love it.There's some violence and sex but the actors are really good and it's believable and relatable.There all cheaters and people die a lot but it's better than game of thrones and easy to follow.It's strangly addicting and a guilty pleasure
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2015

Stop hating and saying its historically inaccurate

Stop saying its historically inaccurate. It's a fictional tv show, they never said it was going to be accurate. And yes, there are some sexual references and there are some hot make out scenes, including the consummation with everyone watching in season 1 episode 13. This show is a guilty pleasure for teens and should be viewed by mature viewers who know whats going on.
Teen, 13 years old Written by12leah345 July 23, 2015

A good guilty pleasure for teenagers

This show isnt historically accurate but is a captivating show. Reign shows that it is tough being a royal and there are many hard decisions. There are a sexual scenes most not to provocative, but a couple contains content along the lines of BDSM. There is also a scene that gets close to rape but doesn't go that far. There is violence that contains blood but nothing too graphic. There are no drugs. They do drink wine at almost every meal and in one occasion someone gets a little tipsy but doesn't result in anything serious. There is no bad language. Overall its a great show for teenagers that shows what it was like back then to be royalty.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheNymphettes February 8, 2015

Fine for 14

I heard a lot of comments saying it was really racy on-line and I tend to avoid that even though i'm not opposed to it, but then a friend recommended it and said nothing really happened They allude to sex often but hardly any characters actually have it, considering the time period, the most sex i've seen of the first season so far was all in the first episode where they use shadows and sounds to show characters having sex which was quite racy, but after that there's not really any sex, most of the characters have been abstaining for marriage. Very little blood and gore as well but there are some sword fights