All parent member reviews for Rescue Me

Adult Written byRickyLoyola April 25, 2010

Could be a promising parent child conversation starter

I wish there was an easy way to rate this but there isnt... I am a twenty one year old college student who began watching this show with my parents from the moment it came on the air. My family unlike many others is brutally honest and open (that is what you get for being half italian half redneck). My father was a fireman and i obviously idolized the man i was named for, so watching this show gave me a way to be closer to him. The language in the show is often crass and rude but is used most often to either deliver the message or to gain a laugh. Despite the shows graphic sex scenes (graphic for standard cable) and violent moment, it offers something most TV shows are too afraid to deliver, REALISM. This show covers everything from discovering sexuality (the probie's homosexual experimentation), respecting sexuality (the captain's son being openly gay), alcoholism (Tommy), adultery (Tommy), loss (every cast member), and so on. This show can be an amazing talking point IF, and I mean IF parents are willing to sit down and talk to their children about the show. The topics are virtually limitless and present the parents an easy opening to possibly difficult conversations to have. My recommendation is that parents take the time to consider this as a show to watch with their children at around age 14+. Especially because this is the age at about when most kids will be personally introduced to most if not all of these topics in the real world, if they havent been already.
Adult Written byThatKrazyGuy March 29, 2010

FX Strikes Gold Again!

Rescue Me is rated TV-MA for strong crude language, strong sexual content including nudity, and some violence.
Adult Written byRavenFilmsAndReviews November 26, 2012

Appropriate for older teens or adults

Parents should know that the firefighters in this show are very human and the situations they face are ones that can affect everyone. Although the are unflinching in their word choices and their dependence on alcohol and drugs and sex they are a team who are devoted to each other. They tend to have very frank discussions regarding their sex lifes and frequent arguements erupt between the characters. They all seem to suffer from PTSD as a result of 9/11. Tommy, the main character, seems to have the most issues and several times over the series he is faced with an unimaginable tragedy. He relies on alcohol throughout most of it and very rarely deals with his issues and showing emotion. There are many adult themes that the show deals with including, but not limited to suicide, alcholism, drug addictions, depression, adultery, divorce, murder etc. These things along with the characters reactions to their personal issues, especially 9/11, can be discussed with kids.
Adult Written byJRCrews20 June 21, 2012

Great show, not for kids

Despite the inappropriate content for most kids, the show has probably the best storyline of any modern TV show I have seen. Dennis Leary did a fantastic job portraying a firefighter with a troubled life.
Adult Written byjoplincat April 9, 2008