All parent member reviews for Rick and Morty

Parent of a 15 year old Written byleafinthewind November 13, 2014
This website is always concerned with sex jokes so let me give you an example of how this show handles the topic. In one episode, Morty's (14) family hears him jerking off, and the dad asks what they should do and the mom says it's normal and to let him experiment, and the whole scene's no big deal. Now that right there's a positive message about sex. It tells the kid that the parents know what he's doing and are ok with it AND reminds the parents that this is normal. This is the right way to address sex in teen media. For those worried about the drinking, Rick the alcoholic genius grandpa pukes, drools, and burps enough to paint alcohol in a negative light. It's a solid show. Written by Dan Harmon, who writes for Community. Your kids will love it and it's clever enough for adults.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byCriscilla December 22, 2013

The Usual Work from 'Adult Swim'

Definitely not for kids, much like most Adult Swim television. With that stated, it is quite funny and I can imagine many teens being interested in this show. However, I wouldn't recommend any teen under 16 years old viewing based on the high level of alcohol use, drug and sexual references that are pretty prevalent in the show. A certain level of maturity is required to watch.
Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 8, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16, 16, 17, 17, and 18 year old Written byTheResponsibleParent March 5, 2014

Rick and Morty

Yes, there's the sexuality, but my kid already knows about all of that. As long as your kid doesn't see any full on nudity, or mimic what they see on television (which mine doesn't.) Your child is fine to watch this.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedievoronova November 13, 2014

For smart kids only

Yes, there are indeed drinking and references to sex, but mostly there are original storylines, fantastic jokes, plus discussions on morality and family bonding. It gets dark, but it's the smartest animated show I've seen in while. My daughter and I watch it together.
Adult Written bycklay December 29, 2015

Dark humor can get excessive

The show is riddled with both mentions of and attempted rape, both of which can be exceptionally troubling for younger kids who can't full grasp the seriousness of such situations. Morty and his father, Jerry are very easily manipulated, and the relationship between Morty's parents is equally troublesome. The violence in the show, including but not limited to attempts of suicide, successful suicide, emotional abuse and shooting of dead bodies can also pose as a serious concern for parents. That being said, the show is still incredibly formatted with multi-faceted characters, all of whom genuinely care for each other, even if they do not always show it. (Note: Alcoholism, violence, rape, swearing)
Adult Written byZinc September 23, 2015

Worry about the right things

After reading a few reviews I have to say most people are way too concerned with sexual content and violence. Rick an Morty isn't suitable for kids because of its philosophy and not because of its drug use or sexual references. A show which depicts a meaningless universe where nothing they will ever do matters can be much more dangerous than some comic violence. I recommend talking about this topic before allowing your kid to watch it.
Adult Written bymitsukik September 13, 2015

Very clever, and also surprisingly deep and emotional

There's a lot of objectionable content like sex, drinking, and swearing, but the humor is extremely clever and witty. But it's more than just a comedy. There's also a lot of drama, such as the psychological effects Rick's experiments and the existence of alternate, disposable dimensions have on the characters, as well as Beth and Jerry's failing marriage. One minute you can be laughing yourself silly, then the next you can be on the verge of tears, and then you see something that warms your heart. Rick and Morty can be an emotional roller coaster. The show also has very great science fiction worldbuilding, some of the strange worlds and beings Rick and Morty encounter are very fascinating, and lusciously animated. It's one of the greatest pieces of western animation we've had in years. If your kid is old enough to watch it, it's a much better choice than something shallow and mean spirited like Family Guy or the newer episodes of South Park. Very great for science fiction fans. In fact, I think geeks and sci-fi fans are the ones who will appreciate the humor and worldbuilding the most.
Adult Written byjoshuab1 August 4, 2015

Scifi action/Family/Adventure

I enjoy Rick and Morty To the fullest , this Averagly animated show is actually really interesting with alot of science related ideals although they don't quite Equate in some since to scientific opinions they do Make Scientific sense while not being to Nerdy in a boring science and showing the cool theoretical side of it with Hilarious Jokes that meet the real need of this show were anything can happen,make sense while it happens , and be hilarious ... so it leaves room for unlimited amount of sinarios that Wont repeat as the former shows are repeating like family guy, American dad, and eventually bobs burgers , it is really genious because with the Light animation they use they can strongly work on the story and comedy of the show. Although it has slight cussing regarded .... but with that said I think12 is a okay age depending on what side of the world you come from . In some cases 15 would be suitable in some cases 10 would be suitable . But if I had kids 12 is a good year. Interesting Video I hope it stays on adult swim. And maybe continue into cartoon network. Amazing show.
Adult Written byshattoc October 16, 2014

Comedic, sensitive and demanding

Rick and Morty is unlike any other show on Comedy Central's "Adult Swim" late night programming block. While most of the shows are either just reruns of earlier Fox programming or original content that focuses on non-sequitur and unrelenting absurdity, Rick and Morty skillfully blends the absurd with the endearing. While the stories and imagery are driven by the nonsensical situations the eponymous pair get themselves into, Rick and Morty's real appeal only becomes apparent (particularly in the last half of the first season) when the characters peel back their sarcastic and abrasive personae and expose their own weaknesses or grow in relation to one another. Even as the worlds Rick and Morty craft from their crazy adventures spin out of control around them, the situations that result only tighten the relationships of the characters involved. The best part of Rick and Morty, however, is the sense that their actions actually have consequences. Unlike so many other shows on Adult Swim, prior events come into play in later episodes and even become major plot points. When Rick and Morty do something, it effects them, their family and, in some cases, their entire world. Cynical, self-serving actions are not often forgotten and excused forever in the world this show's creators are crafting, which is a welcome change of pace from so many other animated comedies in recent years. That being said, Rick and Morty is still an adult-oriented show and it deals with themes of family, grief, regret and growth in ways that are not necessarily going to be accessible to kids. The growth is usually achieved through horrific circumstances and kids are unlikely to be able to glean these themes as they are usually present subtly through things characters don't say, their expressions or other mechanisms that are less than overt. Rick and Morty is definitely worth checking out. The first season begins with a so-so series of episodes and really gets its footing about halfway through the season. By the time Rick is inventing love potions for his hapless grandson, Roiland and Harmon know who their characters are and are able to exploit their fears, insecurities and weaknesses not just for laughs, but for some truly touching - and sometimes rueful - moments.
Adult Written byJEK Age 18 November 23, 2015

Great Sci-fi Comedy!

Rick and morty really is one of the best shows in a long time. Yes it has strong graphics, occasional launguage, and other content that might not be suitable for younger viewers but. This show follows two great characters in Rick and Morty the two go on crazy science adventures through parallel universes, to other Earth like planets. Which are modern day scientific theroies, and they keep it accurate. There's great jokes that'd make anyone laugh unless you don't get comedy. Drugs and alcohol are present but not to the point of too much. It's very cleverly written and the art is amazing.. I'd recommend this show for anyone really. It's a very funny look into very possible scenarios, a lot of what's in the show scientists are currently talking about the same possibilities. Rick and Morty is the most up to date science show on tv. It can reach out to a very wide range audience, I hope the word gets out more.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee August 19, 2015

Rick and Morty Review

I'm not going to say this was all that questionable.. But a lot of the time I did see a huge amount of adult content.. That being said, I Did hear a lot of adult language, ( " the F word I believe was bleeped out.."). I also had seen what looked like suggestive Sexual stuff, And I also thought I seen a bit of drug content.. That being said, I would recommend using proper judgement before letting younger teenagers watch this.. Otherwise, It should be alright for the older teenagers and adults..
Adult Written byporkchoppal July 24, 2015

The Best Animated Show since Gravity Falls

Violence: 8/10 Sex: 8/10 Profanity: 7/10 Hedonism: 7/10 Maturity: 9/10
Adult Written bydarthsitkur February 22, 2015

WUBA LUBA DUB DUB lol :-)

Rick and morty is just goofy in every sense of the word lol, every single episode is goofy and hilarious, and the uncut DVD version makes it even better
Adult Written byNorico April 14, 2014

surprisingly good and very creative

Parent Written byJD124 April 8, 2014

Not sure about the guy who says its fine for 3 year olds but...

It's a great show. I'm a fan, but to be clear: It's just too much of Adult Swim's normal sex/violence/drugs/swearing for it to be okay for my kids. That's just it. When my kids are old/mature enough to handle the VERY mature themes of the show, then they can watch it.