Kid reviews for Rick and Morty

Ribald, drunken animated comedy is too edgy for most teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Hyperdroid March 4, 2014

GREAT SHOW!

The review states that it has sexual content (The only thing most parents are uneasy about!), which is true though it isn't often. But believe me, if your child is 12 or older, they aren't alien to this sort of thing. The only thing they'll worry about is you cutting off access to the show because of that. I give this show 5 stars and would put it in the same bin as Futurama. Also, how is this "Iffy for a 17 year old?!
Teen, 14 years old Written byDr. Zoigberg 97 December 7, 2013

Hilarious

Do not skip over this because I'm a teenager. Out of the entire adult swim line up nothing beats Rick and morty. This show is clever, creative, original and most of all just straight up funny. This show has a wonderfully grim sense of humor. You won't find another show with this type of humor. It was created by the creator of community and influenced by back to the future and British sifi. I encourage you to watch this. That being said this show does include some raunchy material. Violence: cartoon sifi violence honestly no big deal. Language: mild swearing is appearant but not offensive. Sex: basically the only thing parents find unacceptable . Pretty raunchy, innuendo is infrequent but pretty crass. Drinking drugs and smoking: I don't really think it's a big deal. Rick drinks, belches (a lot), slurs his words and so on.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheProdigy November 18, 2015

10+ anyone who wants to watch.

I started watching this show when I was ten yrs. old. Sure some episodes have sexual content, but on TV's now you can fast-forward. I think anyone 10+ who wants to watch this it's ok.
Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2015

Crude, Rude and Hillarious

Rick and Morty is about Rick, who takes his family on crazy adventures. The language is strong (motherf----r, f--k, c--k, s--t, bitch) and some other milder terms. However, these are censored out on TV, and are only uncensored on DVD/Blu-Ray releases. It also has some crude sexual material, which is presented in a comic and light way. But some of the innuendos go over the top. There is also some violence, with some blood, but is always cartoonish. Rick is an alcoholic and he does alien drugs (mostly off-screen), which made him have a pump of adrenaline. Overall, a very awesome, great show of epicness.

Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2013

What the

Give it a chance, I know there is some violence but not graphic, you guys gave South Park iffy 13-17, this iffy 14-17, South Park is 10 times worse than this, fix the review, and ik there was a scene when Rick was rubbing Jessica's t1ts parents would find that innapropriate for their yong ones, swearing is not too bad, drinking Rick can be severely alcoholic

Teen, 14 years old Written byHiHowsItGoing July 3, 2017

The Best

Rick and Morty has no positive message whatsoever, but the entire show is like one giant joke so as long as you know not to take it seriously you should be fine. As far as violence goes aliens and humans get shot and spew blood in a cartoonish manner. Language and Sexual content is very unpredictable, and rick drinks frequently.

Teen, 17 years old Written byUsrthea June 3, 2017

The best adult cartoon I've ever seen!

This is the best adult cartoon I have ever seen! Even though I'm a huge fan of animation I never really got into the adult cartoons since most of them such as Family Guy or F is for Family just seem like cartoon versions of a live-action sitcom, due to the overdone family dynamics and a lack of magical, surreal situations that scream "this was made for animation". But Rick and Morty is different due to it being a Sci-Fi show, Rick and Morty feels less like Family Guy and F is for Family and more like a dark, raunchy comedy version of Back to the Future. Although some episodes parody popular culture with references to Jurassic park, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Purge, Inception etc. more often than not Rick and Morty tells it's own original tale and even when they do have an episode that references something in popular culture they put their own spin on it so each episode is unique. Admittedly this show is not for everyone, my dad and I love it and my brother thinks it's ok but it's not my mom's cup of tea/type of humor, my sister hasn't watched it yet but she says she wants to since a lot of people at our high school talk about it and wear merchandise for it. There is some gross humor and lots of violence involving blood and murder but it's not so common that the show becomes an outright gore fest like Mr. Pickles. Rick is seen frequently throughout the series either drinking from a flask or from a bottle with three X's on it. (Three X's symbolize alcohol when used on a bottle) Rick also always acts drunk so it's very possible he's drunk throughout the whole series. There is a lot of swearing though it's worth mentioning that the swearing it bleeped out in later episodes. There is some sex but so far it's always either covered up (such as done under a blanket) or done off screen. But in this age of the internet where any information can be found at any time kids know way more than you think they do, and I don't think the 16+ age rating CSM gave this show is justified, especially since they gave the Simpsons a 12+ and South Park and family guy a 15+. I think Rick and Morty is fine for most kids 11+ Since most kids that age have probably already seen this type of content other places such as YouTube, social media, violent video games etc. so the content in Rick and Morty will likely be nothing new to them.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHaNoWhy August 21, 2017

Hilarious.

Okay, lets just start off with saying that my parents are really strict and they let me watch this. The humour can be considered rude, but really it's the type of satire you find on a secondary school playground. The swears are bleeped out. It's really not that bad. I watched series one and two three times. Hilarious!

Teen, 13 years old Written byAlannig April 16, 2017

One of the best adult swim shows on right now.

Rick and morty is a very smart show. underneath the fart jokes and delinquent humor it possess a world of alternate realities, portals, aliens, a whole society of ricks and lots of sci-fi references. I'm 13 and I love this show to bits. A must watch for any cartoon fan. Apparently this show is "edgy" please don't use this word no one uses this word unironically.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMagical Boy January 30, 2016

Proof that cartoons aren't just for kids

Rick and Morty may be a cartoon, but it's definitely not for young kids. Rick is an alcoholic and is later revealed to be an intergalactic terrorist, and there's lots of bloody violence, swearing, and sexual content. With that said, there are redeeming qualities. For one thing, the comedy is great and will make you laugh. Also, while Rick does emotionally abuse Morty, over the course of the show the former learns to (kind of) care for his grandson, and (SPOILER ALERT) sacrifices himself to save Morty and his family a few times. And while one episode does have a particularly disturbing scene with attempted rape, it is not played for laughs and is treated as serious and horrifying. Aside from moral issues, the show has a pretty cool lore and interesting sci-fi elements. Overall, I'd keep this show away from kids and tweens, but if your teen is mature enough, it's a fantastic series that I'd highly recommend.

Teen, 15 years old Written byskeletonslife441 December 8, 2013

I'm 15 years old.

But this should be like, +14, and yes, there is some drinking. Also, do you realize that you aged this more than Family Guy and the same as South Park?

Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Flying Orange March 22, 2017

Get Schwifty!

Ok, right of the bat this is an amazing look into existential nihilism, and many of the great works by H.P. Lovecraft(as well as other classics), and other types of philosophies developed by works of Friedrich Nietzsche, Marxism and Determinism. Wisecrack, who have also done great philosophies on similar shows like Bojack Horseman, explained this very well in a video called "The Philosophy of Rick and Morty". It is an intelligent and wonderfully written show that is an instant cult classic.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTrustygun October 17, 2015

A depressing look on the idea of multiverses

Parents need to know mainly that this is a depressing look on the idea of multiverses, and the show deals with them in a realistic manner. The main duo, a 14 year old kid named Morty (implied to be mentally disabled in some way) and his grandfather Rick, who is an alcoholic, is definitely an abusive relationship; it is even straight up mentioned in one epsiode Rick only uses his for camouflage against the Intergalactic Federation, and the adventures they go on routinely traumatize Morty. Most of the swearing is censored if you are listening on Adult Swim, but it's there. Violence is definitely an issue; one episode grotesquely shows the transformation of some humans into "Cronenburgs" (humorously named after the famous film producer), a cross of Mantis, Horse, Elephant, and a mixture of other various DNA. Sex is usually not an issue, most of it is mainly mentioned. There are two parts where you will need to be careful: one episode shows Morty's Sister (in a dream) attempt to coax Morty and Rick into a threesome. Morty is also nearly raped in one epsiode (fairly graphic). I only recommend this to teenagers who can deal with depressing morals and stories, as well as some out-there humor.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySirNovaLux September 12, 2015

Come for the drunken scifi adventures, stay for the existentialism.

An episode like "Auto Erotic Assimilation" can start out silly and funny, but end up being really deep and I think that's perfect. I think the humor is intelligently stupid if that makes any sense. Justin Roiland is quite the genius and I was heartbroken that since I was under 18, I couldn't see his "Rick and Morty" improv show at Comic Con. I believe the show's overarching message (if it has one at all) is to not put too much thought into the things you can't do anything about and to remember what a small part you are of the uni/multiverse. Like one of the show's most famous quotes, "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Teen, 13 years old Written byHeroShade644 May 27, 2015

Great Show

Rick and Morty is a hilarious show with a sense of humor. However, there are countless instances of alcohol scenes, seeing as one of the main characters is a severe alcoholic. Some episodes, such as "Lawnmower Dog", have scenes of nudity such as characters in revealing clothes, and a few episodes have depictions of nude butts. Beyond that, there are numerous jokes about inappropriate content, such as Rick wanting Morty to put illegal seeds up his butt to avoid getting caught, and there are a few implied sex scenes, although no sex is actually seen. Most of this content is for laughs and is not serious, but there are some heavy things like Morty shooting a bug creature and its comrades talking about his wife and family, creatures keeping innocent hostages, and an attempted assault scene. You should know your child before letting them watch this show. There is some foul language, such as "b*tch" and "f*ck", but these words are not used as insults and rather as jokes. If your child is in middle school, they probably hear worse than this everyday. Violence wise, the only serious instances I can think of are in the episode "Rick Potion #9" where characters brutally kill numerous bug like creatures with guns and baseball bats who were originally humans, and at the end a graphic scene is show where Rick and Morty are killed. If you are worried about violence like this, just skip this episode and you will be fine. In conclusion, you should know you child before you let them watch this show, but if you do let them watch it they will love it. I would say that the show is fine for kids over 16, and if they are below 16 judge for yourself if they are ready. Definitely not for kids under 10.

Kid, 10 years old May 12, 2014

Just give it a chance

Listen. i think this ts a great show and many people do too. While some people think its crass others like it. however children under 14 will have to watch it with a parent due to some scenes being sexual and ricks consant drinking and one time drug use in episode 10. the show is as inapproprate as family guy but some episodes are as lighthearted as classic disney movies. this show is rated TV 14 DLSV with the exeption of rick potion no.9 which is TV 14 DLV.

Kid, 12 years old June 15, 2019

my fav show

if your child is in secondary school and can handle gore and cursing and bare butts it is fine!
Teen, 14 years old Written byRGC Tech June 12, 2019

Amazing comedy.

Frequent references to 16+ life but overall a good comedy.

Kid, 12 years old May 29, 2019
This is among my favorite tv shows. What you need to know is that it is more inappropriate than any other show on Cartoon Network. Plus, the character rick drinks a lot more than he should. Aside from that, it is a great show with easy to follow plots and lots of laughs! There are also some things that characters say which can be somewhat crude, such as “where are my testecles, summer? Where did you put them?” Nothing worse than that, though.

Teen, 13 years old Written byschwifty_spidey011 April 8, 2019

Schwiftiest show on TV

Firstly, I would like to say that CSM needs to watch more than just the Pilot episode in order to gain a better understanding of the content in some shows. There ARE positive messages in Rick and Morty, which are shown through character development. And also the show improves a lot after you get past the first episode. I feel as though it has potential of being rated higher on here. Also, there is iffy content in other episodes that isn't mentioned in their "expert review" that I will mention here. Overview: Basically, this is an animated sci-fi comedy show about a genius scientist, Rick and his fourteen year old grandson Morty. It started as a parody of Back To The Future, but is a lot different. Their relationship starts off very emotionally abusive and although it DOES kind of stay that way, there is improvement. Age rating- 13+: Obviously this is going to be different for everyone, but I am thirteen myself and can handle this show fine. There is swearing, sexual content, alcoholism (which is portrayed NEGATIVELY, CSM) and violence, but there is actually consequences shown for some of these behaviours. Star rating- 5 stars: I LOVE this show. It’s very funny. There is a lot of dark humour, it isn’t just about comedy. There are some extremely sad moments, such as (SPOILER) when Morty buries his body in the back garden and some of it really makes you think (“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”) Also the sci-fi sequences and world-building are awesome. Character development is well done and Justin Roiland is a terrific voice actor, as he plays both Rick and Morty. Positive messages-2/5: There are some, ignore Common Sense Media. There’s stuff about standing up to controlling people (Rick and Morty’s relationship), courage and the fact that nothing in life really matters; you have to find your own meaning. Postive role models-2/5: Although they aren’t the best parents, Jerry and Beth don’t try to intervene when they hear Morty (am i allowed to say this on here?) masturbating (??) upstairs because they know it’s natural and that they show allow their son to… eXperImEnT. Uhm, moving on, Rick is a bad role model. He is an alcoholic, but he certainly doesn’t promote drinking. There IS other stuff: the gender representations between main characters at least are pretty good. In one episode, Summer and Rick beat up a guy holding a “God hates f*gs” sign, which does paint homophobia badly (I’m gay myself) and maybe beating him up isn’t the best way to deal but hey, as long as you’re not showing extremely impressionable kids, then it’s fine. Violence-4/5: One episode shows a planet where they have a purge (yeah, like the movie…) and Rick and Morty happen to show up on the day it hapens. Blood splatters everywhere, people are shot, decapitated, in danger, guns and other weapons brandished. In one episode, they go inside a man to a theme park called Anatomy Park and in another, Rick turns himself into a pickle and he ends up murdering a LOT of people. Rick attempts suicide, some dark jokes, the devil appears in one episode. Punching, cannibals in one episode where they visit a post apocalyptic place, weird aliens. Sex-3/5: Morty fantasies about touching Jessica’s boobs, but is actually touching his teacher who disturbingly doesn’t seem to mind all that much. Morty gets sexually assaulted by a jellybean, there is kissing, a failing marriage between Beth and Jerry followed by divorce. Morty frequently masturbates “everywhere” and one time Summer catches him in the kitchen where he claims to be thinking about her friend. Morty buys a sex robot and accidentally conceives a child whom he maturely takes responsibility over and refuses to kill, although it only lasts a few days. A love potion that goes horribly wrong in another episode results in mutated people who lust for Morty and also want to kill him because of the preying mantis side of them (uh you’ll see i guess). Tammy dates this guy called Birdperson who is around 40 and she is a high school senior. Regardless of the paedophilia and beastiality, they get married. Almost fortunately, however, it turns out Tammy was a spy trying to arrest Rick. Swearing-3/5: Sh-t, d-ck, b—ch, damn, hell, ass, f-ck t-ts/t-tt-es said frequently. However, sometimes words are bleeped (f-ck is always bleeped out) except on the uncut DVD version. These words are said by both adults and teenagers, sometimes to each other, without many consequences (i don’t really care about this stuff, i’m just sayin’). One character called Scary Terry in the second episode says b—ch all the time. Morty's catchphrase is "aw geez" and Jesus/ Jesus Christ/ Oh my God in all its variations is said a lot. (if you're religious which i'm not, so again, I'm not bothered but for those who are: there's your warning) Consumerism-1/5: Started as a Back To The Future parody. Oh my god, just remembered they play Minecraft at the end of season three and it is shown and mentioned a lot. Maybe it advertises pickles or whatever, like does consumerism even matter? Why? Lots of Rick and Morty merch, especially in places like HMV. Drinking, drugs and smoking-5/5: Rick is an alcoholic. He is always drinking vodka and blacks out from it and ends up jeopardising the Vindictator’s adventures from his wild, drunk thoughts from the previous night (i.e: a Saw-Style puzzle where almost everybody dies). His drinking is shown as bad. I certainly don’t want to drink. All of Rick’s burping and slurred words and the near-constant dribble on his lip REALLY puts me off. Beth drinks wine sometimes, once she gets really drunk while crying. Social drinking etc. As for drugs, one time they have this massive house party, end up trashing the place and accidentally teleporting the house to another dimension. Morty, being the only responsible one (and not for the first time… or the last) tries to help by risking him and a couple of people’s lives (Abradolf Lincler dies kinda) to get these crystals that Rick made him think would get them home. However, Rick sniffs them, his eyes go blue and he starts dancing. So… drugs basically. This annoys Morty though, so if you were siding with him, it shows drugs badly. In a way. I guess. And finally, smoking. I have seen a couple of cigarettes that I recall, but it’s not an issue with anybody besides background characters. Overall, this is an awesome show and I absolutely love it. I highly recommend. It breaks a lot of sci-fi tropes and sometimes the fourth wall.