Kid reviews for Ronja, the Robber's Daughter

Ronja, the Robber's Daughter Poster Image

Good for teens and older kids. And definitely good for adults too!

I love Astrid Lindgren’s books and Studio Ghibli so this was awesome! I highly recommend. There is violence and fear. (This review is going to be very similar to the review I left for the book but more tailored to the series.) ⚠️ Major Spoilers Ahead! Keep in mind that there is violence in this. Nothing is super detailed, but there are two instances in which robbers get shot by arrows from the other clan. They both recover fine. My main concern if you’re watching it with children would be when Mattis beats Birk. But I also have to say that Mattis, Ronja’s father, is not generally mean or abusive. I love him as a character usually. He loves Ronja very much and would NEVER hurt her. He is pretty hotheaded and hates Birk’s father, Borka. However, by the end of the series he is able to redeem himself. It has a good and happy ending. I watched it when I was twelve I think, but I could’ve watched it when I was eight and not been tooo bothered. It’s a lot more about the emotional impact then the gore. Also, they use the word h**l, and the harpies are very scary. There is also a scene about “the unearthly ones” in the fog where they try to get Ronia to come with them into the “underworld”. If you’re uncomfortable with magic or ghostly things this might be worrying, but they don’t come back at any time during the rest of the series. They’re only in one episode early on. Also, I’ve read some reviews that mention the episode where the robbers take off their clothes. Honestly, I didn’t even think of it. I’m not bothered by it and my little brother just thinks it’s hilarious. But be aware they show their butts, just not their privates. There are NO sexual themes. I wouldn’t be worried about that at all. There is drinking, but Ronja and Birk, who are the only people under 21, never drink. Be aware of that though. All-in-all the book is mostly just about having fun as a child in the forest with your friend. It’s mostly happy and nostalgic. It’s also a great lesson on not being prejudice. I love Ronia and her overflowing amount of joy! Hope this was helpful.

Good kids show

I really like this show. Some males are shown topless but nothing further than that. In episode 15, Birk is shown beat up. Not gory, just a lot of bruises. In an episode, Ronja's mom forces the 12 robbers to take a bath. The harpies may scare young audiences. You can see their behinds but nothing more. Ronja's dad and and the 12 robbers are seen drinking beer. There is not much cursing. The worst is dirty devils. But there is a crack in the middle of the house called Hell's Gap. Other than that, I recommend this show.

Ronja and why I like it

I love Ronja! I can’t think of a reason why someone should dislike it. I like Ronja because some parts are absolutely hilarious! I also really like it because even though they are Robbers, they are all one big happy family and I really enjoy that. But Ronja has some problems with her father just like we do and I can make a connection with that. The show does not have much violence and I am perfectly happy with that, but is does have a little violence that I am ok with because otherwise the show would get boring. There is absolutely no reason I dislike this show and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Surprisingly amazing!!

When I first heard about this, I couldn't imagine Studio Ghibli taking on a CG-anime series. I didn't want to watch it for that reason: but eventually, I gave it a chance and ended up loving it! "Ronja, the Robber's Daughter," or "山賊の娘ローニャ" in Japan, is a show that follows the life of (as the title suggests) a ten-year old girl named Ronja, who is the daughter of a chief who leads a robber clan. It's a rather slow-paced series that focuses on the childish antics of her and a boy she befriends from her enemy clan, Birk. The suggestive content is relatively mild, although the show can get pretty serious at times (including one scene where Ronja learns of her father's bad deeds and temporarily runs away, and a surprising one that shows Birk, beaten and tied up, and Ronja's clan ridiculing him). If a child is below nine, I think that it would be best for a parent to view it alongside the child. Otherwise, I think that this is a fun show that fans of Ghibli's works will love!

Not clean

It started of really great but on an episode (Not sure which one) they show a few men naked though they don't show any privates. It might not be what you or your child want to see. Not sure why commonsensemedia did not include it, cause it is quite important

Good advice

A bit scary for younger audiences with harpies. Honestly one of my favorite shows.