All parent member reviews for Royal Pains

Adult Written bychristo26 May 17, 2010

Fun show, good for 13 and up...

This is a fun, fun show, one that explores morals and bad behaviors. There's some banter about sex, but it's harmless.
Adult Written byaesul November 2, 2011

Harmless

I personally disagree with the rating. Although it does occasionally have brief sexual references or drug/drinking content, it is very mild and not condoned nor participated in by the main characters. The show does not revolve around those things but simply explains that the main character is trying to get by in this materialistic atmosphere (he is a personal doctor, only rich people need those, therefore he is in the very wealthy hamptons). I have rarely noticed any cussing. The biggest issue is the medical scenes, which can be over the top graphic, however, they are saving people, not harming them. Be sensitive to your child's reaction to blood. Honestly, I consider it to be a fairly family friendly show with some adult themed subplots at time, overall it is harmless. The only draw back is that on occasion the characters can get annoying or the plots can be lacking. Other than that, great entertaining uplifting tv show.
Adult Written byKrbbup August 5, 2010

Interesting Show, but Not for Those Under 17

My family watched the very first episode and we were very upset. There was so much language and blasphemy as well as inappropriate scenes, that we refused to watch it again. However, my dad watched the next episode and it was like someone else had written it. The show focuses on a doctor who has been fired for saving a boy, but not being able to save the mayor as well. He and his brother go to the Hamptons were they are thrown into creating their own concierge practice. However, there is still scenes of inappropriate behavior, language, gross medical situations, and blasphemy. It is the doctor version of Burn Notice (only not as good) with more bad instead of good. There is lots of humor and interesting stories, but it should be watched with caution. GOD bless
Adult Written bythehappymos June 5, 2010

In a sea of medical dramas that are way too old for my son, this is a nice compromise. There's been story lines that allow my son to open up about topics like drugs, materialism.. etc. There is some strong innuendo, but there has been no outright nudity. I feel like I'm always saying "too old, too old" and with this show, I don't have to!
Adult Written byskdevore September 12, 2009

"Values" among the rich and get what I want types...

Like "House" but nicer, funnier, less intense. I take a positive from this show in that it shows the stupid and wreckless decisions of many of the wealthy and well-to-do. Those who are not wealthy tend to have greater moral character. Main characters are individually divided in trying to make the "right" decision. Many times the situation makes it nearly impossible to do the "right" thing because circumstances are so iffy. Ex: 1) woman separated from husband for a few years, but can't get him to sign the papers...starts dating the main character. 2) doctor fighting law suit he likely can't win and won't accept "help" from a secretive character, but when he shows up to the meeting, this guy's lawyers are already there and have worked out a deal... I just hope they don't turn this into a sex soap opera like ER.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byrachel4missions July 2, 2009

Perfect House alternative for younger viewers

I don't understand the negative points for this. It's similar to House in many ways, but it's a bit more accessible for non-medical professionals as it takes place on the beach or in houses rather than in hospital and all big words and medical terms are generally explained. It also has significantly less sex, swearing, and crude jokes than House. Fun show for kids 10 and up or so-- if they're interested.