Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Samurai Jack

Japanese warrior fights evil in violence-heavy cartoon.

Adult Written byBig-Brother February 7, 2017

The 5th Season will be rated TV-14 for violence.

Parents should know Samurai Jack season 5 is going to contain strong bloody violence, including torture.
Adult Written bybioniclecomeback56 March 24, 2017

Great series is back and even better than before (but no longer for kids).

Samurai Jack is a great cartoon, and it's finally back to finish the story that never had a proper ending to. Samurai Jack originally aired on Cartoon Network back in 2001 and was cancelled in 2004, this lasted for four seasons. Now a final season is back but the creators have moved to Adult Swim and is now rated TV-14. The audience who watched the original is now more grown up and ready to watch the finale we never got. So this new season is now darker and more violent with actual blood. While I think this new season is awesome so far, I don't feel comfortable watching with my 10 and 11 year old brothers. If you want to introduce kids into this series than stick with the first four seasons, until their just a bit older. The original series never get's too violent for younger kids since Jack is mainly fighting robots, so we see some oil instead. The new season as mentioned earlier has depicts more intense action and is a bit bloody at times, on the bright side, it doesn't seem like they'll go super over the top and there's been nothing extremely graphic and gory. No episodes have been rated TV-MA thus far and it seems that series creator Genndy Tartakovsky prefers it that way. There's also been no swearing thus far, but it's possible, since the season still has several episodes to go, hopefully this won't go very far. Sex has never been a part of the series and is unlikely to show up , if I have any guesses there might be a few references but so far they haven't even done that. All in all it's a great show and most kids will be fine with the original show, but I'd say most kids should wait until they're about 13 to watch the new season. I'll make any updates if needed if the new season has anything else in later episodes that might need to be mentioned.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byThe Professor September 14, 2019

Excellent intro to Bushido and martial virtues

This show has brought about such great joy and discussions in our family.

If you think your child would benefit from the discipline of a martial arts school, then seasons 1-4 are appropriate for all ages. If the humble nobility of Jack somehow burned itself into my sons' and daughters' brain as they were infants, it would be a good thing.

Season 5 is darker and age will depend on a kids understanding of love, rage, loss, loneliness, and redemption. My wife was most captivated by this season. If you let your kids watch avengers movies, they'll be fine. Seppuku is alluded to, but if your kid doesn't understand it, they won't get it. If they do know what it is, they will better understand it.

Adult Written bydanny800 April 5, 2019

Samurai Jack was not for little kids

i think samurai jack is a amazing show but its not for little kids because its really vilonte and has some dark parts theirs one episode where jack visits a wasteland full of dead robots and one robot can be seen impaled on a peice of metal and some episodes jack gets bloody cuts all over his body jack is seen standing on top a pile of robots and is covered in oil a family of robots hack eachother apart and Aku also makes the show dark and theres some Adult jokes jack goes skinny dipping and the first episode takes place inside a alien strip club with that being said i think samurai jack is for preteens and young teens and i dont reccomend it for anyone under the age of 13 season 5 is much darker and aired on Adultswim and is not for kids jack shoots a beetle bot with a machine gun jack gets stabbed with a sword and passes out and falls in the river and the river fills with his blood jack almost kills all of akus daughters jacks father is seen killing people and blood flys on jacks face the scotman gets burnt to a skeleton and in the final episode jack finally kills Aku and theres some disturbing stuff jacks dad appears and says you forgot us and then a bunch of zombie kids reach out for jack jack talks himself into suicide and jack sews up his cut while screaming and crying in pain and theres some swearing like danm a character calls jack a great S O B and a robot says a characters head looks like a penis with that being said season 5 is much darker and is for older teens and adults with that being said i dont reccomend it for anyone under the age of 16

Adult Written bykyleReeselives January 30, 2019

Seasons 1-4 great for kids. Season 5 only for teens and older.

The 14+ rating for this show is well deserved for the fifth season, but it's pretty unfair to rank that for the entire show. I watched the show when I was about 7 years old and it was never too bad. Seasons 1-4 are generally family friendly; Sure, they're a bit darker than most other cartoons, but they're not so dark that it's like a "everything's hopeless, the world is brutal and cold" type of dark, more like Avatar the Last Airbender (which, ironically, the voice actors for Aku were also in).
But anyway, now that age rating is out of the way, let's talk about the show itself. It is a very creative and interesting show. For one, the plot completely deviates from other cartoons, let alone cartoon network shows, and brings a coherent plot rather than an episodic formula which makes it more interesting. I liked all the characters, many of them left an impact on me even if they were only in one episode, there's something to be said about a show that can do that. But speaking of characters, Jack was an amazing character, he wasn't the typical kind of hero who always prevails or always has a positive outlook on the world. He didn't have a negative outlook, but he seemed to understand better than other cartoon protagonists that the world isn't a perfect place (especially in this cartoon, but that's beside the point) and strove to make it a better place than it was. He never expects a reward for his actions because he has personal reasons for all of them, and helps anyone in need without even negotiating anything. To me, that made him a very interesting character, he didn't deviate too far from the heroic type and was a very interesting character nonetheless, kids can learn from that more effectively than other shows.
The tone of the series was very interesting as well. It wasn't an outright comedy and knew when to be comical and more importantly, when not to be. Jack goes through plenty of losses in addition to his successes, but he always perseveres through them and doesn't let any loss, big or small, stop him. The world also has plenty of bad people, but a great amount of good people too, and as I said before, all of them made an impact on me.
But anyway, I'd like to reiterate, DON'T SHOW YOUR KIDS THE FIFTH SEASON. It was put on Adult Swim for a reason, it's much more violent and dark than seasons 1-4. That aside though, seasons 1-4 are rated TV-Y7 and the violence is never graphic or anything (since Jack mostly fights robots instead of humanoid creatures), so don't fret over it. If I could give seperate age ratings for Seasons 1-4 and Season 5, I'd give the former a 7 year old rating and the latter a 13 year old rating. It's a great show for kids that's far more interesting and inventive than many other cartoons I've seen, even modern day ones.

Adult Written byWesley D. May 26, 2018

Amazing

too violent no swearing BUT THE ROLE MODELS ARE AMAZING BUT very bloody its not jump scares but jump VIOLENCE!! Also Jack never wears a shirt when he is fighting the words JACK + SHIRT + BATTLE= yeah right the 5th season last episode I would rate 7+ let your kids watch the last episode NO BLOOD NO real VIOLENCE JUST death threats

Adult Written byCabe S. June 25, 2017

First 4 seasons meant for younger audiences, with season 5 being for older.

When I first started re watching this show remembering liking it when I was younger I was quite bored but I only wanted to watch it so I could be tune in for the season 5 premiere. The original show (Seasons 1-4) I would rate 6 and up, but considering that the adult last season end s the story kids who aren't allowed to watch season 5 will probably be quite angry about this. Season 5 is amazing but definitely not for younger audiences with lots of blood, getting rid of the old "Oh wait the alien he just killed was actually just a robot, SO IT'S OK" cliche that was throughout the original show. Jack deals with PTSD during the show, which is quite sad. But really the only bad thing is the violence considering Jack kills 6 younger women and several others. But the show is a great story in the last season. If you're twelve and up I think you would definitely like the newest season more than the original. To answer a wildly asked question - No you don't have to watch the original 4 seasons to enjoy the newest one, but it definitely makes the experience better by seeing how all the people who Jack saved in the past are living. There is no sex in the original, while in the last season there is only two mildly inappropriate lines. The first is where a character (A villain, Not the main hero) remarks that another guy's head looks like a penis and where one of Jack's companions (that he ends up falling in love with) says that something is poking her while Jack is pushed against her. Jack blushes and looks down seeing that it's his sword hilt and not, well you know. Other than these things I think the newest season will please ages 12 and up, do to it's amazing plot, pacing, and character development and the original seasons will please kids 6-9 more than kids older, but it' still worth the watch if you wanna know the history before watching the newest season, especially the first episode.
Adult Written byBryant Almonte-Alday April 29, 2017

The bloodiest show I have ever seen!

TV-14-V/PG-13: for graphic cartoon violence including bloody images.

Adult Written byNathan J. September 8, 2016

Positive Role Model

Samurai Jack is a great role model for kids. He does draw his sword in many circumstances, but never for malicious reasons. He almost always waits and gives his opponents the first move, letting them know he would rather stay peaceful. He only fights robots that have bad attitudes.

He is known for making mistakes now and then by following his frustration but usually notes what he has done by the end of the episode in some subtle way.

Don't get the original series mixed up with the new series that will be released on Adult Swim.

Adult Written bye_squared August 1, 2015

Cinematic cartoon

This show blends beautiful and unique art (there are no outlines!), fun action sequences, and aspects of silent film. The protagonist only speaks when he needs to, allowing for many of the show's best sequences to take place with no words, and occasionally no music at all. The directing style nods to Akira Kurosawa (classic samurai film moments), Quentin Tarantino (clever use of split screens), and Stanley Kubrick (sweeping shots and long silent sequences) on many occasions. I can't recommend it enough for kids, grown ups, and families!
Adult Written byhgwqhge03 September 19, 2013

this show is very different from other CN shows

I love how this show was very original and creative and truly one of the coolest action shows of all time as a kid I didn't like it but now I love it, its a real masterpiece its sad that this show only lasted 4 seasons however there are plans for a Samarui Jack Film

Parent of a 6 year old Written byJASmith42 April 7, 2011

Not for tweens or younger

Jack is a pristine example of honor, honesty and hard work. A lot of film and story references younger viewers (and less film aware parents) will not get. Some of the violence may be too intense for some kids. The style is simple but emotions portrayed are not. Example: in one episode Jack enters a silent black and white spirit world to save the spirits/souls of a family captured by an evil entity. Not much dialogue but a lot if intense imagery.

Parent Written byTheThing2010 March 13, 2011

Great family, adventure series!

I remember watching this cartoon as a kid when the first episode came out. It started off weak at first, but as it progressed it had a well-developed storyline with memorable characters and cool fighting moments. Although you cannot travel back in time and undo everything for real, I declare it as a solid story.

Parent Written byPlague November 15, 2010

Samurai Jack

Great for kids.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byDavid600780 September 17, 2009

A great adventure show for kids

This show takes on the adventures of a nameless samurai warrior who was sent into the future by a demonic wizard so that his reign can prosper. While initially the samurai is nameless, the residents in the future came to call him "Jack". It is a highly adventurous and action packed show that would be fun to watch for the kids 10 and up. For a cartoon, I got to say this is one of my favorites up there with Kappa Mikey. Samurai Jack himself exhibits the characteristics of a stoic hero. He is unfailingly polite and humble despite the completely alien nature of the futuristic world and never scoffs at or disparages the customs of the people he encounters (as unpleasant as they seem to him at times). As any adventure for older kids, violence soon follows. For the most part the battles that he partakes in is to banish the monsters and evil robots that thrive in the futuristic world. Blood isn't really an issue because almost everyone and everything he fights is a robot. As for the living he generally knocks them out or disarms their weapons. An excellent cartoon for any adventure fan.