Parent reviews for Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Poster Image

this show is great if your children are clam.

I shall say, that the fifth season have much more gore and overall not for younger kids. you most likely already because its being aired by adult swim, but all seasons before are for kids. the blood is switched out for oil and most "killing" is destroying robots. to the fighting and the art, its perfect, but I honestly doubt most kids under ten wont like it because of how silent it is, but there's always perfect music to keep you watching it. its great. the story is simple and villain steals the show, bless you Mako Iwamatsu. and it does world building better than any other show (aside from Futurama.) I for one love it.

1 person found this helpful.

Excellent intro to Bushido and martial virtues

This show has brought about such great joy and discussions in our family. If you think your child would benefit from the discipline of a martial arts school, then seasons 1-4 are appropriate for all ages. If the humble nobility of Jack somehow burned itself into my sons' and daughters' brain as they were infants, it would be a good thing. Season 5 is darker and age will depend on a kids understanding of love, rage, loss, loneliness, and redemption. My wife was most captivated by this season. If you let your kids watch avengers movies, they'll be fine. Seppuku is alluded to, but if your kid doesn't understand it, they won't get it. If they do know what it is, they will better understand it.

1 person found this helpful.

it's a great show but it's not for kids

Even though I rated it ages 14 and up (that's for season 5 ), I think it's fine for ages 12 and up. There's violence, but it's mild. It's mainly just breaking robots, so nothing too intense or gruesome. however, Jack is a good role model not just for kids, but for everyone. He is great portrayal of what a real hero is. But however if you have or live with children under 14 do not show them season 5 cause while it is still just as great as the first four seasons, it is a lot more violent. More Humans and Humannoid creatures are killed in this season. And while there is blood in this season, it is a very small amount to where a 14 year old can watch it. it isn't gory at all.

Samurai Jack was not for little kids

i think samurai jack is a amazing show but its not for little kids because its really vilonte and has some dark parts theirs one episode where jack visits a wasteland full of dead robots and one robot can be seen impaled on a peice of metal and some episodes jack gets bloody cuts all over his body jack is seen standing on top a pile of robots and is covered in oil a family of robots hack eachother apart and Aku also makes the show dark and theres some Adult jokes jack goes skinny dipping and the first episode takes place inside a alien strip club with that being said i think samurai jack is for preteens and young teens and i dont reccomend it for anyone under the age of 13 season 5 is much darker and aired on Adultswim and is not for kids jack shoots a beetle bot with a machine gun jack gets stabbed with a sword and passes out and falls in the river and the river fills with his blood jack almost kills all of akus daughters jacks father is seen killing people and blood flys on jacks face the scotman gets burnt to a skeleton and in the final episode jack finally kills Aku and theres some disturbing stuff jacks dad appears and says you forgot us and then a bunch of zombie kids reach out for jack jack talks himself into suicide and jack sews up his cut while screaming and crying in pain and theres some swearing like danm a character calls jack a great S O B and a robot says a characters head looks like a penis with that being said season 5 is much darker and is for older teens and adults with that being said i dont reccomend it for anyone under the age of 16

Seasons 1-4 great for kids. Season 5 only for teens and older.

The 14+ rating for this show is well deserved for the fifth season, but it's pretty unfair to rank that for the entire show. I watched the show when I was about 7 years old and it was never too bad. Seasons 1-4 are generally family friendly; Sure, they're a bit darker than most other cartoons, but they're not so dark that it's like a "everything's hopeless, the world is brutal and cold" type of dark, more like Avatar the Last Airbender (which, ironically, the voice actors for Aku were also in). But anyway, now that age rating is out of the way, let's talk about the show itself. It is a very creative and interesting show. For one, the plot completely deviates from other cartoons, let alone cartoon network shows, and brings a coherent plot rather than an episodic formula which makes it more interesting. I liked all the characters, many of them left an impact on me even if they were only in one episode, there's something to be said about a show that can do that. But speaking of characters, Jack was an amazing character, he wasn't the typical kind of hero who always prevails or always has a positive outlook on the world. He didn't have a negative outlook, but he seemed to understand better than other cartoon protagonists that the world isn't a perfect place (especially in this cartoon, but that's beside the point) and strove to make it a better place than it was. He never expects a reward for his actions because he has personal reasons for all of them, and helps anyone in need without even negotiating anything. To me, that made him a very interesting character, he didn't deviate too far from the heroic type and was a very interesting character nonetheless, kids can learn from that more effectively than other shows. The tone of the series was very interesting as well. It wasn't an outright comedy and knew when to be comical and more importantly, when not to be. Jack goes through plenty of losses in addition to his successes, but he always perseveres through them and doesn't let any loss, big or small, stop him. The world also has plenty of bad people, but a great amount of good people too, and as I said before, all of them made an impact on me. But anyway, I'd like to reiterate, DON'T SHOW YOUR KIDS THE FIFTH SEASON. It was put on Adult Swim for a reason, it's much more violent and dark than seasons 1-4. That aside though, seasons 1-4 are rated TV-Y7 and the violence is never graphic or anything (since Jack mostly fights robots instead of humanoid creatures), so don't fret over it. If I could give seperate age ratings for Seasons 1-4 and Season 5, I'd give the former a 7 year old rating and the latter a 13 year old rating. It's a great show for kids that's far more interesting and inventive than many other cartoons I've seen, even modern day ones.

Amazing

too violent no swearing BUT THE ROLE MODELS ARE AMAZING BUT very bloody its not jump scares but jump VIOLENCE!! Also Jack never wears a shirt when he is fighting the words JACK + SHIRT + BATTLE= yeah right the 5th season last episode I would rate 7+ let your kids watch the last episode NO BLOOD NO real VIOLENCE JUST death threats

First 4 seasons meant for younger audiences, with season 5 being for older.

When I first started re watching this show remembering liking it when I was younger I was quite bored but I only wanted to watch it so I could be tune in for the season 5 premiere. The original show (Seasons 1-4) I would rate 6 and up, but considering that the adult last season end s the story kids who aren't allowed to watch season 5 will probably be quite angry about this. Season 5 is amazing but definitely not for younger audiences with lots of blood, getting rid of the old "Oh wait the alien he just killed was actually just a robot, SO IT'S OK" cliche that was throughout the original show. Jack deals with PTSD during the show, which is quite sad. But really the only bad thing is the violence considering Jack kills 6 younger women and several others. But the show is a great story in the last season. If you're twelve and up I think you would definitely like the newest season more than the original. To answer a wildly asked question - No you don't have to watch the original 4 seasons to enjoy the newest one, but it definitely makes the experience better by seeing how all the people who Jack saved in the past are living. There is no sex in the original, while in the last season there is only two mildly inappropriate lines. The first is where a character (A villain, Not the main hero) remarks that another guy's head looks like a penis and where one of Jack's companions (that he ends up falling in love with) says that something is poking her while Jack is pushed against her. Jack blushes and looks down seeing that it's his sword hilt and not, well you know. Other than these things I think the newest season will please ages 12 and up, do to it's amazing plot, pacing, and character development and the original seasons will please kids 6-9 more than kids older, but it' still worth the watch if you wanna know the history before watching the newest season, especially the first episode.

The bloodiest show I have ever seen!

TV-14-V/PG-13: for graphic cartoon violence including bloody images.

Great series is back and even better than before (but no longer for kids).

Samurai Jack is a great cartoon, and it's finally back to finish the story that never had a proper ending to. Samurai Jack originally aired on Cartoon Network back in 2001 and was cancelled in 2004, this lasted for four seasons. Now a final season is back but the creators have moved to Adult Swim and is now rated TV-14. The audience who watched the original is now more grown up and ready to watch the finale we never got. So this new season is now darker and more violent with actual blood. While I think this new season is awesome so far, I don't feel comfortable watching with my 10 and 11 year old brothers. If you want to introduce kids into this series than stick with the first four seasons, until their just a bit older. The original series never get's too violent for younger kids since Jack is mainly fighting robots, so we see some oil instead. The new season as mentioned earlier has depicts more intense action and is a bit bloody at times, on the bright side, it doesn't seem like they'll go super over the top and there's been nothing extremely graphic and gory. No episodes have been rated TV-MA thus far and it seems that series creator Genndy Tartakovsky prefers it that way. There's also been no swearing thus far, but it's possible, since the season still has several episodes to go, hopefully this won't go very far. Sex has never been a part of the series and is unlikely to show up , if I have any guesses there might be a few references but so far they haven't even done that. All in all it's a great show and most kids will be fine with the original show, but I'd say most kids should wait until they're about 13 to watch the new season. I'll make any updates if needed if the new season has anything else in later episodes that might need to be mentioned.

The 5th Season will be rated TV-14 for violence.

Parents should know Samurai Jack season 5 is going to contain strong bloody violence, including torture.