All teen and kid member reviews for Shameless

Teen, 16 years old Written bytj123 July 3, 2011

Teen, 15 years old Written byBellatrix-Lestrange March 22, 2015

Appropriate for Mature Older Teens

There is a lot of sex, nudity, substance abuse and swearing. The show uses dark humor and slurs quite often. There is rape. There are heterosexual and homosexual relationships with explicit sex (the latter in not present in the first season). The show is definitely not appropriate for younger teenagers. At the same time, there are role models. One of the main characters, Fiona, is eighteen and manages to keep her her five sibling afloat by her various, low-income jobs. Ian is hardworking, manages to get into a prestigious military school despite his background, and has to deal with mental illness. Mickey is the most unlikely character to be considered a role model, but he overcomes life-long abuse from his father and wears his sexuality proudly (in later seasons).
Teen, 13 years old Written bysandwad January 20, 2011
Teen, 14 years old Written byinnieidk April 8, 2015

A really good TV show!

I love it! It's one of my favourite. Teens should enjoy this show, don't stop them from watching it. It's worth it. Come on, every teen or kid knows how to swear. Me and my friends started watching it when we were about 13 and we all enjoyed it. Even though it has a lot of nudity and swearing, I reccomend it because it's so funny, there's a lot of drama and once you start, you will want more and more.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMickeyMilkovichBabe August 11, 2014

FAV SHOW!!

I'm 13 and love this show. Even I have to admit I'm probably a bit young to watch it but all my other 13 year old friends watch it and love it as well! I think that once your child is at least 14 they've probably already seen all of the stuff on this show so who cares? Believe me if you think your child in middle school hasn't heard of sex or drugs yet then your terribly wrong. This show is nothing new to them.
Kid, 11 years old February 5, 2011

for adults.

my mom watches it but i cant watch it because of so much nudity and Language.
Kid, 12 years old February 24, 2011
i prefer the english version to the american and i watch it some times but not always
Teen, 15 years old Written byabch August 20, 2016
It's a very interesting show however inappropriate for very younger kids
Teen, 17 years old Written bybriia July 13, 2016

I love this show

This show is incredible. There is a LOT of sex and language, but not much of anything else too bad. If you can get past that, the actual plot is amazing. As for the show having "no positive role models," that is DEFINITELY not true at all. Fiona Gallagher is a huge role model as she practically raises and cares for all of her siblings since their dad doesn't help them. I am only on the first season, but from what I have seen so far, Lip seems like a role model as well because he stands up for his family and is kind and smart. Shameless is amazing.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytessbeth July 10, 2016

GREAT

SUPER SEXUAL BUT GREAT N GALLAVICH THOO AND CARL IS MY SON
Teen, 14 years old Written byryleeeemg July 10, 2016

Positive Role Models

This show is one of the most well though-out, realistic shows on television. It shows the hardships of life as well as what people may do to get past the difficulties. No positive role models? Okay, no. Fiona Gallagher is (in my opinion), the most positive female role model in television today. Yes, she drinks, she has sex (with a lot of guys), but so what? She also takes care of her siblings like they're her own and she gives away so much in life to make sure they have food and roof over their heads. Fiona also teaches her younger sister about how it's okay to be a kid and to not try to grow up, which is what a lot of young people in general need to realize. She can make the occasional mistakes, but who doesn't? Lip Gallagher is only one kid in the Gallagher household to make it to college on a full scholarship. Yes, he takes some convincing to actually go, but going away to college is a big decision so who wouldn't be doubtful when deciding their future. Ian Gallagher can be considered reckless, but why is he reckless? Because he has a mental illness that basically makes him unstable. Before his diagnosis, he wanted to be in the army. He was doing okay in school and had a job. Now, he's an EMT, and dealing with his illness the right way. Ian Gallagher is a great example of how difficult having a mental illness can be, but also shows how it's possible to get better. And don't even get me started on Mickey Milkovich, who probably has the best character development ever in TV history. From the neighborhood thug son of the infamous Terry Milkovich, who fag-bashes and bullies and steals, to a character who learns to accept his sexuality and stand up to his abusing father. To a character who loves his son and takes care of his wife, even though he can never love her the way he loves Ian. Mickey took care of Ian during Ian's illness and he would've done anything for him. Mickey Milkovich is one of the greatest characters on TV. Overall, this show is an amazing example of life. I believe that if your kid is mature enough to not laugh at every sexual innuendo or scene (which by mid-teens, they should be) then they should be allowed to watch this show.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycarlyfey1 March 25, 2016
This show is truely fantastic, but does have a lot of sex/nudity and drugs/drinking/smoking - especially from younger children. It's very funny and sometimes is really sad and realistic. I was also really happy that this show had some LGBT+ representation
Kid, 11 years old February 17, 2016

*SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* Addictive

Yes I know at the age of 11 I should not be watching this show. But I do all flaws aside. This show is soooo addicting. I started watching this show not thinking anything of it. But within 2 weeks I was already at season 3. "Just one episode" I repetitively say to myself. It never happens. I just can't help but binge watch it. Aside from it being amazing it is not appropriate. It is basically about a dysfunctional family with an alcoholic father. There is a lot of sex and nudity sometimes gay sex. Although the show is horribly inappropriate at the root of it all there is love and positive role models. Fiona is a fairly responsible adult who is always there for the kids through everything. Through there mother slitting her wrists, there dad constantly being drunk and/or passed out. At the end of the day the family loves each other. Its a must watch for all.
Teen, 16 years old Written byteenwithopinions January 5, 2016

Most teens can handle

I'm 16, and I know that unless you're heavily sheltered, most teens my age, even younger(14,15) have been exposed to the things in the show. Most characters get into risky behavior, often endangering themselves or others in the process. Almost everyone besides the 3 youngest engage in sex. I've only seen the first 3 seasons, and nothing has been too much for me. The nudity extends to breasts, butts, penis and quick glimpses of a girls downstairs. The Common sense review stated that the only real violence was a son getting headbutted and bloody. Well, aside from that, a minor character is shot in the head on screen, and then dismembered off screen. Not as much blood, but a much more violent act. Alcohol and drug use in every episode, but again, if you're a teen you've probably seen it all anyways. I think the plot is very compelling and I've cried a few times. Not that any of the sex, drugs or violence is bad, but behind all of it there's a real loving family. Give it a go.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJulian Brand December 17, 2015

Review from a teenagers perspective

Although this show is aired through HBO and everyone knows what type of shows they air, this one is different. I am aware of the high content on sex, violence, and drugs this show offers along with scenes that could be disturbing (depending on your child), but it is not extreme. I assure you if you have a teenage child, they've already seen most of this if not more. Everyone has their coming of age and mine happened when I was 14, so now that I'm sixteen and watching this show it does not amuse me. I believe if you consider your child can get past the scenes of nudity and sex (because that's probably why you're here mostly) and enjoy the show thoroughly then you can give them a chance.
Kid, 11 years old July 9, 2015

*SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* Addictive

Teen, 15 years old Written bypennywyatt April 9, 2015
AWESOME SHOW! Great acting & even better storylines. And come on, neither the nudity/sexuality nor the violence, language or drug abuse displayed in shameless will be anything new to most teenagers nowadays:D And everytime there is something new and even more controversial/weird/extreme going on in a tv show, it makes it all the more exiting. I think watching stuff like shameless helps broaden a teen's perspective. Great for binge-watching & extremely addicting.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStaceytheNerd April 6, 2015

Violence, Drugs, Sex - that's life

Being set in an extremely rough neighbourhood, I would think the mature themes foregrounded in Shameless are pretty accurate. As I read in another fantastic review, this show actually presents some wonderful role models who overcome their circumstances in their attitudes to life. Its also epic entertainment - well written plot lines and serious issues confronted head-on. As long as your teen can cope with heavily-loaded emotional story lines and won't go copying the inappropriate things that happen watching this show will leave them only the better.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydainkonon March 20, 2015

Show with lots of swearing , sex. It is very interesting to look inside to family with no parents or laws. I watch and love it , but I think this show is better for adults
Teen, 14 years old Written byaboy26 March 12, 2015

Debatable

IMO, this happens to be a great show after you've watched the first 3 episodes but the characters are all different and unique u would never see any other characters like this. The relationship drama is the best and how the kids discipline their father such as kicking him out of the house and ignoring him, it's a great show better than the U.K version (got worse as it went along). Fiona is the only responsible one.