Kid reviews for Siempre Bruja

Siempre Bruja Poster Image

Entretaining

Not bad, is entreteining and I like Carmen and other characters like Alicia or Jonhy Ki

It's a decent show. 4/5

Always a Witch, or Siempre Bruja, is drama about Carmen Eguiluz, a witch who travels to the future from the 1600s in order to bring her boyfriend back to life. Carmen is exactly just a good character. She doesn't have any notable flaws, and I found myself wishing that she had some to make her a more well rounded character. In fact, I felt the same way about the supporting characters: Alicia, Mayte, Daniel, and Leon. They often involve Carmen into their personal issues. Besides their issues involving romance, it feels like they don't do or add anything to the story. Johnny Ki, another sub. character, is the only one who really helps Carmen out when she needs it the most. Johnny Ki is awkward and goofy, but he's better than the others characters. He's able to put aside his emotions and qualms to be selfless like Carmen. However, his problems don't get addressed until the last episode, and its never really resolved. Carmen's boyfriend, Cristobal, owns her as a slave, and their first meeting is at a slave auction. They then have a love at first sight moment. Like many others, I found the "black person loving their slave master" trope to be troubling. I find it weird that the show pushed itself as progressive for having a black female protagonist in the first place. Mainly, this is Carmen's main motivation and is what the plot revolves itself on. Despite it's problems, I still enjoyed watching it. Carmen and Johnny Ki's friendship, develops in a satisfying way, and I enjoyed learning along with Carmen about her powers & history. What I loved the most is the music and how everything was filmed. The setting, Cartagena, is bright, colorful, and lively with it's music and buildings. The ending theme is stuck in my head. Overall, I wished the characters were built up more because it felt like it was lacking, but I enjoyed Carmen, Johnny Ki, and the vibrant setting.