All teen and kid member reviews for Skins (U.K.)

Teen, 14 years old Written byFancyReality June 13, 2011

Perhaps an Exact View into the Life of a Teen

I'm 14 and I first watched this show after all the hype over the US version. Needless to say, the original show is much better than the US version. As stated in its article UK skins has a lot of partying and sex BUT there is a really believable story behind all of it. The story of friendship is great because they help each other out no matter what. I like how it shows the true face of anorexia. My friend struggled w/ it and still does and she was bullied for it. I'm not sure but after watching Skins, I feel a "normal" person could empathize w/ an anorexic person. I think that side of Skins is very educational. I'm not sure what it's like on BBC America but if you watch the uncensored version on YouTube you see everything. Although the only time I saw fully nude bodies was the bedsheet on Tony's blanket and a scene where a female teacher was getting out of the faculty showers. By US standards; it's too raunchy to be fully shown on TV but many of my friends have watched it uncensored without feeling uncomfortable. I think it depends on your comfort level though. Perhaps it could help other kids my age feel that nudity is OK instead of "weird." Also, the language isn't anything worse than what I hear in school. Unlike Jersey Shore or reality TV shows kids my age watch; I believe what attracts others like me to watch skins is its authenticity. It's very real.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylumosliz January 26, 2011

A great show for older teens.

For anyone under 15, this show really isn't something to watch, but for those of us who are old enough to understand the messages as well as relate, on some level, to the characters and situations, it's great. I love this show and I believe it's something that teens should watch, as long as they don't take it to heart that they have to party and do illegal things to be cool or anything because that's definitely not the message. Sure there's a lot of swearing (come on, they're British) and sex and drugs but that's what makes the show so great: it's really realistic and original and not all fake (cough, Disney channel, cough). It deals with some real life situations that, though they may not be common, have pretty universal themes... and it offers solutions to these problems that should be taken with a grain of salt. Often, the characters make bad and frankly stupid choices, but it makes viewers realise what should've been done or at least think of alternative actions. Oh, and I think that for all its entertainment (I mean, it's better to watch other teens screw up their lives than to live those problems), the show might actually be beneficial. At least, for me it helped me understand myself better... Effy's depression and breakdown in the fourth series made me realise that I was severely depressed (and in denial) and was literally the reason I sought out help on my own. So for parents who won't let their teens (especially those at least 15) watch Skins, I highly suggest reconsidering your policy if you want to be open-minded towards your sons/daughters... and for my peers, if you saw the American version and then learnt about this one, I definitely say watch it because it's way better, and if you're just iffy about the show, I also say to watch it (unless you have moral issues with what you've seen/read) because you might learn a bit more about life.
Teen, 14 years old Written byajw1234 March 19, 2011

Mature teens only..

For Mature views, who are less likely to be influenced by the content.
Teen, 16 years old Written byxmolly March 30, 2013

Watch it with your kids!

Skins UK is an incredible show and has the potential to be very educational. Yes, there are a lot of heavy themes. No, these are not the kind of kids you would want your child to hang out with. However, beyond the setting, there are some powerful messages that you sometimes just can't get with squeaky-clean shows. Skins is real and any viewer can relate to at least one character. If you watch Skins with your kid and talk about some of the themes, you may be able to become closer with them and educate them in a way that's more than just saying, "don't have sex and don't do drugs." It may be a bit mature, and you may think I'm crazy, but parents who think they know everything about their child, don't even know 1/1000 of what they do. Catch your kid early and show them what's out there and how to make good choices. Absolutely do not let your kid watch this without you present, though!
Teen, 17 years old Written byMarilynMansonLover March 31, 2011

Perfect for 13 or older

I am in love with this show! Yes there is nudity and language but nothing that someone 13 or older could not handle! I know parents can freak over things like that but we both know you kid knows what sex is. Very good show. Relates to teens rather well.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywilliam_1601 July 8, 2010

16+ at Minimum, Recommended only for Adults

Exceptionally offensive British show with graphic language, very strong sexual material, drug usage, and poor morals.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShaiBaby July 29, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I actually really enjoy the show because it has real teen problems. Sure it has too much language and sex but that's why i watch the 3rd and 4th seasons that has a completely new cast and doesnt show sex as much as the 1st and 2nd seasons
Teen, 13 years old Written byisabelle16 December 16, 2013

Skins

Skins is a fun show to watch every once in a while if you are mature enough, but it's not a helpful or good show for impressionable teens, neither is it very memorable.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypaigenatane May 21, 2012

Not for Kids

The main idea of this TV show is underage (I believe) drinking and casual illegal drug use. There's also a never ending slur of every curse word in the book. Not to mention the not quite rare enough to be called occassional nudity. I'm 16 and this show is probably not appropriate for me. lol. But I like this show. It takes a bit of time to get into it but once you do, you understand the unique style and start to care about the characters. It's really a personal opinion. But if you're looking at it for kids, it's a no-go.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhappinessisawarmgun June 18, 2011

Skins

This is a very entertaining show, but there is nothing in it that is appropriate for children. There is lots and lots of sex references, the whole show revolves around teenagers having sex. The nudity is not that much of an issue, there are some episodes when older characters are shown naked but the female teenagers are never shown naked and the males are only shown naked from behind. Stong language is pervasive in this show, 'f**k' is used throughout every episode and 'c**t' is used a few times in a few episodes. There is violence in the show, though not all the time. Some bloody scenes. Tons of weed is smoked in the show and some other drugs (usually pills) are used. The show is all about rowdy teenagers living depressing and dysfunctional lives, so showing it to a child would be a mistake.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySapphire Wilson February 25, 2011

Perfect for older teens

i f*ckin love this sh*t!!!!!! Mitch Hewer is officially a sexy god
Teen, 15 years old Written bySynchronicity March 19, 2009

I'm a dude, and I hate most teen soap operas, yet I love this show

Skins is an excellent show that is definitely for teens and up only. This series is about a group of teens living in Bristol, England who attend a college. Tony is the popular one, but he always protects his younger sister Effy, who is extremely mysterious. Tony has a few friends too: Sid is quiet, but in love with Tony's girlfriend Michelle, whose best friend Jal is an excellent clarinet player. Their friend Anwar is a confused Muslim (played brilliantly by Dev Patel who is also in the film Slumdog Millionaire!), his friend Maxxie is openly gay, their friend Chris is a party animal with family trouble, and Cassie is basically crazy. There's also Lucy, nicknamed Sketch, who lives near Maxxie. I've only seen Series 1 and 2, and can't wait for Series 3 to hit America; in that series, Effy is the main character. Like I've said before, Skins is for older teens and up. In its native Britain, the series was shown on the pay-TV version of Channel Four (E4), aimed at teens and young adults 15-25. So there's no doubt Skins isn't a kid-friendly series. This makes Gossip Girl look tame by comparison! Sex is a frequent topic: there are scenes of simulated sex of all types, stalking, awkward sexual advances, masturbation, and more; there's also a lot of nudity and crass sexual dialogue. Also, profane language is frequent. F-bombs fly a lot, but are muted on BBC America broadcasts. However, on the DVD, online, and original British broadcasts of this show, the F-bombs are loud and clear. Various milder profanities are spoken, and I do remember some uses of the word "c**t" (muted on BBC America, uncensored elsewhere). Finally, there is rampant, near-constant use of drugs and alcohol by teens. A few drugs of choice: cocaine, ecstasy, lots and lots of marijuana and tobacco smoking, and extreme drinking. If you can handle the offensive content, you will really like Skins. The BBC America version is fine for most teens ages 13+, but the DVD version, which is uncensored and contains additional sex scenes and very strong language, is more appropriate for those 15 and over.
Teen, 16 years old Written byS4 mini February 15, 2016
Sorry but this reveiwer clearly hasn't watched the show, Effy is Tony's sister, not Sid's
Teen, 13 years old Written byrianne@jbsc August 14, 2009

good for 14 but unsuitable for younger kids

Im only 13 but I really love skins there is alot of drugs and alcohol and sex but is a good drama
Teen, 13 years old Written byelephantgoddess September 13, 2014

Very accurate portrail of what life can be like

I love this show and I think it's just amazing but I think that some kids my age would find it kid on disturbing because it has sex,drugs,smoking and swearing. It also has a character with anorexia but I think that if you're a parent who doesn't mind your child seeing what teenage life can really be like you should maybe watch an episode first just to see if you think it's appropriate. I'm quite mature for my age so "adult themes" don't really bother me or effect me but as I said some people my age might find it quite disturbing but I think it's a great show that's an accurate representation of what teen life can be.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTyler.rose263 August 4, 2016

parents need to calm down

it's an amazing show, funny as hell and shows things that is crucial. Obviously this stuff happens, and sex shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing. It also shows the dangers of drugs, and effects of drinking to much. But seriously parents need to calm down, I'm allowed to watch this, this is all situations which in these years you do encounter!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybatman12 June 24, 2016

good but lots of iffy material

teens swear almost no stop(mostly f***,s***,and c***)quite a bit of drug and alcohol use and some occasional nudity(both male and female)
Teen, 15 years old Written bythePrettyDead June 24, 2016

I like it

It's kind of that guilty pleasure. I enjoy watching it and it makes me laugh. It's definitely not for younger kids though.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNeva303 April 27, 2016

Amazing Show For Mature Audience

Yes, skins does include sex, drugs, and drinking. Do teens make questionable decisions? Yes. Skins is a somewhat exaggerated portrayal of a upper-high schoolers life. It highlights important topics like, depression, suicide, eating disorder, addiction, abandonment issues, and sexuality. There's no arguing that Skins characters drink, have sex, and do drugs. But the tales on the TV are similar to the rumors that you would hear about in a typical high school anyway. Also, Skins is a amazing show that will keep you hooked and make you appreciate your own life. 10/10 should recommended.
Teen, 15 years old Written byElliewest777 May 4, 2015

Amazing

The first generation was the best by far, the second was kind of unrealistic and the third was pure shit. But, hey, that's just me. The charcters deaths hit me hard so be prepared for that. Funny at times, great show.