All parent member reviews for Smallville

Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Adult Written byChris LP April 9, 2008

Good show for the whole family

SMALLVILLE is Superman for teenagers. I've been watching this show with my son on DVD since 2006. We bought Seasons 1-4 on DVD and watched them all. Then Season 5 was released on DVD and watched that as well just in time for Season 6 to start up on The CW. Now in it's seventh season, we're still there ever Thursday night at 7pm to catch what Clark Kent is up to that night. It's a really cool show. Me nor my son are Superman fans, but this show really makes you like him. It's Superman without the cape and tights, which makes him more human than a show-off crime-fighting non-relatable character from the pages of a DC comic book. This show gets to the emotional roots of Clark making him relatable. It's more realistic and believable. Violence in this show can be quiet extreme as well as sex in the show. The perfect example is from the Season 5 episode "Thirst" where a man recieves oral sex from a woman in a hot tub, except the next second he scream horrifically as the woman bites off his penis. That is the worst violence the show has ever contained. Nothing has ever come even close to that moment in the series run. Throughout the series run there has only been a few sexual scenes, but not many. Out of their 100-and something episode count only about 10% of the episodes have contained a sexual encounter, all of which are pushing the limits of PG-13, but like I said this is Superman for teens. That's about it. Violence = PG-13 level Sex = R level (rarely an issue) Language = PG-13 level Drugs = PG level Message = The message of the show is one that is suitable for all ages, that being always do what is right no matter what the consiquences. Clark Kent's message to all of us.
Adult Written byB. A. April 25, 2010

not good for kids at all. Older kids are influenced too.

not for kids anymore. Sorry, but Clark and Lois going off to have sex before they even got into "the L word" , and Chloe and the green arrow doing it only because it is their "favorite indoor past time." was the last straw for me. This is not for kids!
Adult Written byfoggy February 10, 2011

Parent of a 12 year old Written bylanamomkd October 20, 2010

perfect 11

Great role models, great messages; the only thing is the amount of bad things in Season 5..... just too much! The drinking is not a problem; it doesn't change anyone's mind about drinking or smoking... normal, fine hero violence. (hitting, shooting and missing, throwing, weakening, etc.) The shooting isn't a huge problem; Clark is always getting their in time to stop the bullet! Not a huge fan of Season 5, 8, or 9. 9, only because he can't fly, and I think Lana Lang should come back. Anyways, great for kids 11 and above.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byEm-El October 20, 2010

Perfect: 11-14

My kid loves this show... she's always talking about it. We skipped season 8; not that good for the Doomsday scenes. We did not watch season 5 and 1 for no particular reason, although I see that many do not like the parts in Season 5. This is the best show that my kid has ever loved. Although I do not watch it with or without her, it is a great show, and is great for 11-14. I think ages 15 and above would not enjoy it as much, but that is only my opinion. The Point: This show is great for 11 year-olds and above.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySmallvilleParent October 20, 2010

Perfect for kids 11 or 12 and above

I love this show. I think it is good for 11-year-olds and over, or maybe 11 year-olds close to the age of 12. I think that the season 8 should not be watched, because of violence. That may be the only violent season in Smallville. There is normal hero violence, like punching and throwing, but not too much. I agree to SmallvilleGrl that Season 5 isn't age appropriate either. Anything else is great.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybkute65 November 7, 2009

Ok for tweens with parents

I think the violence is more comic book action, so it's ok. I don't think the sex is too explicit, and you can discuss it with your tween.
Adult Written byCuriousGerbil October 28, 2009

The best Superman story ever (besides the comics of course)!

This is a fantastic show. Now in it's ninth season it is better than it's ever been. This season is a bit darker. There is a fair amount of violence and some blood but not graphic violence by any means.
Adult Written bytvgirl June 30, 2009

This "Superman" Series is in Fact Legendary.

This show was fantastic in Season One, but now going into Season Nine it has declined in quality. But, even now, it is probably the best Superman show ever made. It has frequent sci-fi violence, sexual content is prominant in Seasons Two through Five and fairly strong, language was a problem in Seasons One through Five, and alcohol use was a problem in Seasons One through Seven. Seasons Eight and (soon-to-be Nine) are the cleanest and most family-friendly due to Clark having his squeaky-clean Superman persona. This show is good for kids to watch because of how Clark Kent always does the right thing in all situations. Bottom line: This show is usually rated TV-PG DV. Ages 12+. 4/5 stars. Enjoy.
Adult Written byWestieMeg April 9, 2008

Adult Written byPanya April 9, 2008

For older teens

While I love this show myself, I wouldn't let anyone under 15 or 16 watch it. There's FAR too much violence and sexuality for children.
Adult Written byHuebel April 9, 2008

Interesting, But Only For 14+

Smallville deals with the teen years of Clark Kent. It often contains sexual themes, moral ambiguity and violence. So it's not for those under 14.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

I was interested

It is a great show for kids. It has great meanings
Adult Written bydudeman123 April 9, 2008

awesome

i am like a huge fan of marvel and super hero stuff so i absolutely luv this show it has a great plot and the only thing parents need 2 woory about is voilence every once in a while there will be some sexual contenet but that is it. -10 cauiton
Adult Written byCrazy Chel April 9, 2008

This Season Sank

While the storylines are (for the most part) still very well written and have lots of hidden info for true Superman fans, this season has gone overboard with the sexual content. Way too many undressed girls! What could be a great "the good guys always win", uplifting show has started turning into something my husband and I have to look away from every few minutes. Early seasons are great, (there is little or no language, and most violence is inflicted on the bad guys) and hopefully they can get this one back on track. Until then no one under high school age should see this, and even then, use caution.
Adult Written bysrmax00 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byDocter14 April 9, 2008

Greayt show for superman fans!!!

The early shows of smallville had some gory stuff and violence. Later episodes are much better than the older ones. I think its the Greatest show ever made. Great for Superman fans.
Adult Written byLorna3 April 9, 2008

I have never missed an episode of this show. I really enjoy watching it.
Adult Written by5t3v3n April 9, 2008

i so love this show!

i think this is one of the best tv shows ever,i cant get enough of smallville,but i do wish they would show 2hours instead of 1hour.