All parent member reviews for Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Adult Written byFat Timothy September 17, 2012

The show is not "family material"

I have been watching this show ever since it came out now with that being said I do enjoy this show but it is not for younger kids or intended for them it is defiantly one of the most adult shows ever made every child is different with their maturity level and i believe each child should be able to watch different things depending on this now with that being said the show is very graphic blood and gore in every single episode but it is about gladiators so you can only expect as much there is plenty of sex and nudity in each and every episode some a lot more than others i believe this gives the show some character showing how the Romans would treat their slaves and what not but also to show a bond in some other cases between two people and then of course you have your prostitutes and then finally the language and drinking behavior there is plenty of both in this before letting kids watch this it is my strong suggestion to review a few episodes first it is again a very graphic show in nature the characters do not talk nice among themselves and there is a lot of full on nudity of both the male and female so just keep these factors in mind if you do not believe you child would be mature enough to handle any of these things then i strongly advise you not to let them watch this show
Adult Written byJeremy Z February 9, 2012

Great show, but for ADULTS ONLY

I skipped the sex scenes (at least two per episode) and it is STILL inappropriate for anyone under 17. The language is ridiculous (2 dozen F words an episode), and the violence is so gory it's not even believable. granted, I still love the show, but it is for ADULTS ONLY.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur May 24, 2013

300: the tv series :-)

I started watching the first season and I already love it, this is pretty much 300: the tv series, the acrion scenes are raw and hardcore, just the way I like it, there's tons of blood, guts, and gore, there's tits and ass all over the place, and it has the super cool slow mo that comes in at exactly the right time, this is a guy's show all the way lol, also, between spartacus and game of thrones, I like Spartacus more, mainly because it's more fun, it's not just me saying that, there's also several others that like this show better as well, don't get me wrong, I love game of thrones, but I love Spartacus more. every season of Spartacus is amazing including the prequel gods of the arena
Adult Written bySeanT726 July 15, 2015

Great show, but ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR CHILDREN.

That said, after a full watch, the reviewer's presumed lack of positive role models strikes me as a little odd- Spartacus and Crixus are great role models.
Adult Written bydepewcampbell December 11, 2010

Mature teens only, kids probably not.

The cussing and sex in this show are around the same a kid would get in any normal high school in my opinion. While the sex is very explicit, it never shows any penetration. Which is a plus. Mostly because boys can see much more if they really wanted too...the internet is very easy to operate. The violence is gruesome, and the blood over done nearly all of the time. If you have the stomach for it all, then their is really is no other issue. The same violence is found in other, less rated movies, only without the exaggerated blood. The issue about the Romans treating everyone else like slaves may seem terrible, but is actually the only really historically accurate part of the series, despite an intro to every show saying that the whole show is an accurate depiction of the time period. So if anything you learn how slavery was conducted during Roman times.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bydeirdreheck July 1, 2010

Unfortunately a good premise, but inappropriately done.

We were hoping for a good historical fiction show for our 13 yr. old. This was NOT it. The sad thing is, the premise has so much potential, but the execution is horrendous.
Adult Written byBig-Brother March 20, 2016

NC-17 level TV-MA like Game of Thrones.

NC-17: Graphic Simulated Sex and Violent content throughout and stong languish.
Parent Written byjacksonc August 20, 2015

Only after you've ad the Talk

I watch the show a lot i like it i would only let my son watch after i have ad the talk with him. the underlying moral is great a slave basically gaining his freedom by any cost. decent amount of violence lots of sex almost every episode but its a good show
Adult Written byleeeeego February 14, 2011

Great show

The first episode is bad but once they get to Capua it is an amazing show. You can't base the review on the first episode because it gets alot better.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byBob 1970 November 6, 2010

Okay for older kids just not for younger kids below 17.

It is an okay action movie, but only for ages 17 and older. Pretty good movie and story, just not appropriate for ages under 17.
Adult Written byrobinbanks January 27, 2010

Perfect for those over 16. Watch and enjoy history replayed at its bloody best

Sex, Blood, Wine. The ancient version of "Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll." Spartacus has to be one of the most visually stunning television series' ever produced. Take "300", multiply by 13 and that's Spartacus. That said, Spartacus is just as graphic, if not more than 300 in it's violence. From decapitated heads flying around in stop-motion animation, to a Gladiator crawling on the ground, after his legs have been cut off by the title character, only to be killed when Spartacus plunges a TRIDENT into his back, this show is easily in the conversation for bloodiest TV show ever made. Considering only 2 episodes have been released, I beleive that it's safe to assume the producers are just warming up. As for the sex, while not hardcore, it pushes many boundaries. One scene im sure will stick with me every time I watch anything with John Hannah (The Mummy's Jonathan, doing some good acting) is his conversation with Lucy Lawless (Xena), as both are being serviced by slaves. The plot is cliche (husband screws with authority and as punishment, both he and his wife are foreced into slavery. he only wants his wife back and will stop at nothing to get her), although considerig ithis story invented the cliche makes it unfair to judge by that. The actors truly make this show what it is, however. John Hannah is perfect as Batiatus. And Craig Parker (Lord of the Rings) is a perfect Glaber, as smug and foolish as one would imagine a young, ambitious, Roman commander. Andy Whitfield pull the show on his well cut shoulders as Spartacus and it's a wonder we havent seen him in American films before. Great Show, and I do believe it will get even better. Just make sure the little ones don't watch it. It will give them nightmares.